Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Evolution Autopilot unable to hold course in waves
10-27-16, 02:42 PM
RE: Evolution Autopilot unable to hold course in waves
Willy,

Rudder Damping is adjusted via the command sequence MENU->SET-UP->AUTOPILOT CALIBRATION->DRIVE SETTINGS->RUDDER DAMPING. Please note that this command sequence may only be executed when the autopilot is in Standby mode.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-08-16, 03:04 PM
Hi Chuck. Just landed in San Jose Del Cabo at the south tip of Baja Mexico.

My P70 display definitely does not offer a rudder damping option when following your path in STANDBY mode. My options under DRIVE SETTINGS are:
POWER STEER
RUDDER OFFSET
RUDDER LIMIT

My previous post listed my SW version numbers. What SW version are YOU running?

Thx. W
11-09-16, 11:58 AM (This post was last modified: 11-09-16 11:58 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Willy,

Our equipment is maintained with the latest available software. The latest autopilot control head software for the p70 is v3.07. I have double-checked that the command sequence is as specified within my last response.
11-09-16, 12:09 PM
Hi Chuck. I'm running 3.05 (the most current I could get from Sausalito in October). I'll have to try to find someone with a MFD who can come to the boat to upgrade to 3.07. Or may be able to take P70 to a Ray dealer here in Mexico for the upgrade.

Cheers, /w
11-09-16, 01:22 PM (This post was last modified: 11-10-16 08:40 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Willy,

The p70/p70R v3.07 software update has been available since August. Please additionally note that access to the Rudder Damping configuration setting will be blocked if the calibration settings have been locked. The Calibration Lock feature is commonly configured to ON after the autopilot has completed the Dockside Wizard and has completed to cruise to determine the vessel's deviation table and handling characteristics. The Calibration Lock can be toggled ON/OFF via the command sequence MENU->SET-UP->AUTOPILOT CALIBRATION->VESSEL SETTINGS->CALIBRATION LOCK.
11-11-16, 03:28 PM
Ah Ha! Turned off cal lock and found Rudder damping! Great Tip. Will experiment next time conditions are boisterous. Will let you know how I get on. Cheers, Willy
11-15-16, 03:41 PM
You're welcome.
12-29-16, 04:40 PM
Hi Chuck. Just checking in to wish you a very happy New Year. We haven't had any challenging conditions to experiment with rudder damping and Slow Turn vessel type.

A couple of questions for you, however, while we wait for good testing conditions:

First, what kind of course-keeping accuracy should I expect out of this system, if all is working well? Should the system be able to hold +/- 5 or 10 degrees?

Second, I have a good French friend (is that possible?) who's very happy with the same system. He sails a heavy S&S 45 footer in big quartering waves with his symmetrical kite up to 22 knots true. When we were talking about my challenges, he opined that my EV1 gyros aren't working properly. I disagreed, noting that the AP makes course corrections BEFORE the compass moves off target. This tells me that the EV1 gyros are ANTICIPATING the upcoming course correction, much like a skilled helmsman would do. What's your take on this debate?

Is there a way to know if the the EV1 is working properly?

Many thanks for working with me through all this. Cheers, /w
12-30-16, 09:43 AM (This post was last modified: 12-30-16 01:02 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Willy,

While there is not a quality test which may be provided, a gross check of the EV-1's sensors may be accomplished by interfacing a NMEA 2000 analyzer (ex. Actisense NGT-1 w/NMEA Reader software) to the SeaTalkng backbone to monitor pitch, roll, and yaw data within NMEA 2000 PGN 127257 as the EV-1 Sensor Core's is subjected to motion (it may be helpful to remove the EV-1 from its mount to do so). With respect to comparing another vessel's performance, care should be exercised. When operating in Track mode, it is not the vessel's heading which will be constrained, but rather the corridor width. Raymarine has not specified performance values for heading when operating in Auto mode, but it should be expected that in heavy following seas, the autopilot will not steer as tight a course as it would under other less strenuous conditions. Should you believe that there may be an issue with your EV-1 Sensor Core, then it would be recommended that it be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced.
12-30-16, 12:07 PM
Thanks, heaps, for your prompt reply. I can read NMEA data stream on my PC so will look up pitch, roll, and yaw data to see if it's updating as we roll around some of these anchorages in Mexico. I wish you a safe and very happy new year! Cheers, /willy