Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DCS interface to MFD
04-26-16, 12:18 PM
DCS interface to MFD
I have a Ray 240 installed and eSeries MFD's....I read in the manual that upon a DCS notification, it would highlite on the MFD and then you can goto vessel etc.
I wired the Ray 240 via NMEA 0183 to the MFD as the Ray 240 doesn't have NMEA2000 compatibility.

For some reason, it won't work and have tried everything over the last couple of years....are there particular settings I should validate on the MFD--i.e. BAUD rate on the input to MFD etc? Will the DCS interface not work with NMEA 0183 connections?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-27-16, 09:14 AM (This post was last modified: 04-27-16 09:17 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: DCS interface to MFD
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Pdog1989,

Please note that the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter is not designed to bridge DSC position polling information. Correspondingly, it is recommended that the VHF radio be interfaced via 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 communications to the MFD. It is important to note that, such wiring must be installed to support bi-directional communications. Has the Ray240 been interfaced for bi-directional 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 communications with the e-Series MFD (i.e. have all four NMEA 0183 leads of the VHF radio been interfaced to the corresponding NMEA 0183 leads of the MFD)? If so, then it is recommended that the MFD's NMEA 0183 Port 1 Rx buffer be inspected to determine whether it is receiving any NMEA 0183 DSC/DSE sentences when a DSC position report is received by the VHF radio. If not, then the cabling between the NMEA 0183 output of the VHF radio to the MFD should be tested. Should no fault be found, then the VHF radio should be serviced by Raymarine’s Product Repair Center.

Test Procedure:
1) Configure the MFD's NMEA 0183 Port 1 to NMEA 4800 (HOME->SET-UP->SYSTEM SETTINGS->NMEA SET-UP->NMEA INPUT PORT 1->NMEA 4800).
2) The MFD's NMEA 0183 Port 1 buffer will then be monitored to verify that it is receiving NMEA 0183 DSC/DSE sentences. The MFD's NMEA 0183 Rx buffers may be viewed as follows:
a) HOME->SET-UP->MAINTENANCE->DIAGNOSTICS->INTERFACES->NMEA0183-1->BUFFER
b) DIRECTION->RX
c) Configure the DIRECTION function key to Rx
d) START BUFFER
3) a DSC position polling message will then need to be received by the interfaced VHF radio.
4) Should DSC/DSE NMEA 0183 sentences be observed within the buffer featuring the Rx direction indicator, then the MFD's NMEA 0183 Port 1 would be deemed to be operational and receiving the required sentences from the VHF radio. Should the MFD not respond accordingly, then the received DSC/DSE sentence content should be logged and attached to this thread for further Analysis.
5) Should no NMEA 0183 DSC/DSE sentences be observed within the buffer featuring the Rx direction indicator, then it may indicate a fault with the MFD's NMEA 0183 port, the wiring between the VHF radio and the MFD, or the VHF radio itself. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing how to test the MFD's NMEA 0183 ports. Should the MFD's NMEA 0183 ports be deemed to not be operational, then the MFD should be serviced by Raymarine's Product Repair Center. Should the MFD's NMEA 0183 ports be deemed operational and the interface between the MFD and VHF radio be correctly installed, then the VHF radio should be serviced by Raymarine's Product Repair Center.
09-11-16, 04:17 PM (This post was last modified: 09-12-16 01:16 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hello Chuck
I have the same issue with my VHF 240 to GPM400. The radio does not tx DSC message to MDF. My VHF 240 connected to port 2 NMEA of the GPM400 at 4800 Baud rate. The radio received GPS position from MDF, but I dont know if the radio tx any DSC signal to the MDF.
I tested the position request with my friends at the marina. The Radio received the position request, but it did not display anything to the MDF. I monitored NMEA port 2 RX side on the GPM400, I didnt see any DSE/DSC message.

Does the radio has to be connected to port 1 of the MDF? or it be connected via port 2?

Thank you Chuck

Viet
09-12-16, 01:36 PM
Viet,

The VHF radio may be interfaced to either NMEA 0183 port of the GPM400, as long as that port has been configured for 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 communications (i.e. NMEA 4800). If seeking to have the GPM400 / MFD respond to DSC/DSE position reports, then the GPM400 / MFD must be interfaced in a manner supporting bi-directional communications with the VHF radio (i.e. GPM400 / MFD NMEA 0183 OUT leads to corresponding VHF radio NMEA 0183 IN leads, and GPM400 / MFD NMEA 0183 IN leads to corresponding VHF radio NMEA 0183 OUT leads). Should you have done so, then it is recommended that the GPM400 / MFD's NMEA 0183 port be tested. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.
09-13-16, 03:27 PM (This post was last modified: 09-14-16 07:16 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hello Chuck

I'm sure the MDF ports are good. The Radio received GPS from MDF. Also, when I connected the Airmar weather station to MDF (same port 2), The MDF received wind direction ..etc. So the ports on MDF are good. The only problem is to verify if the Radio is capable to transmit anything to the MDF.

I also enabled the DSC message on the MDF.
09-14-16, 08:28 AM
Viet,

There are neither any configuration settings which need be made within the VHF radio (except for entry of MMSI and phone book MMSIs) nor MFD (except for the port's BAUD rate (i.e. NMEA 4800)) to support transmission of DSC position report by the VHF radio and reception/response to DSC/DSE messages by the MFD. In this case, it is recommended that you ensure that the Ray240 has been updated with v2.29 software and GPM400 has been updated with the latest software to address the possibility that the fault may be rooted in old product software. Any future testing should verify that DSC/DSE sentences are being transmitted by the Ray240.
09-19-16, 02:42 PM (This post was last modified: 09-19-16 03:22 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Chuck

The Ray240 has V2.29 and the MFD has the V4.66. So, they both are up to date. Unless I have problem with my Ray240 that will not transmit DSC message to MFD.

Will this work over Seatalk connection?

Thanks
Viet
09-19-16, 03:28 PM
As there were some communications issues reported with some Ray240 VHF radios, it is recommended that these radios be interfaced via NMEA 0183 rather than SeaTalk. Should there be a problem or suspected problem with your Ray240 with respect to transmitting DSC/DSE sentences associated with received DSC position reports, then it is recommended that the VHF radio be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced.
09-22-16, 01:17 PM (This post was last modified: 09-22-16 01:23 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks Chuck

I will try the seatalk connection. I will check if the Ray240 will receive GPS signal, then will check if it send anything to the MFD.

Cheers
09-22-16, 01:23 PM
You're welcome.