Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interface Wireless Instgruments with Seatalk
11-15-16, 12:08 PM
RE: Interface Wireless Instgruments with Seatalk
(11-15-16 11:07 AM)Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator Wrote:  Mark,

As the Tacktick NMEA 0183 communications interface is designed to re-transmit data which has been received via its NMEA 0183 Input port, care must be taken to ensure that data transmitted by the Tacktick system to the SeaTalkng backbone is limited to NMEA 2000 PGNs supporting wind data only. This is accomplished via a programmable NMEA 0183 data bridge (ex. Actisense NGW-1-ISO-STNG). Failure to do so will result in NMEA 0183 data loop, which will adversely affect the performance of the system.

I forgot to mention the data bridge. It's in my plan, and I've used one in the setup in the older boat.

I just read about the DST-800 combined depth and speed transducer, which it looks like can be purchased with a Seatalk output as part A22111. that looks to eliminate the need for the iTC-5. Is that correct?

The new (to me) sailboat (Alerion 26) has a full, long keel, with no area in the cross section where there is a limited deadrise. It looks to me like the best it gets is maybe 40 degrees or so. Would that mean that the DST-800 would not work, and I would need to have separate speed and depth transducers, with the depth unit with a fairing that would get it more vertical?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-15-16, 01:08 PM
Mark,

Q1. I just read about the DST-800 combined depth and speed transducer, which it looks like can be purchased with a Seatalk output as part A22111. that looks to eliminate the need for the iTC-5. Is that correct?
A1. Correct. The DST800 featuring a SeaTalkng communications interface, eliminating the need for an iTC-5 to support depth, speed, and temperature data. Calibration of the DST800 would be via an i70 MFID.

Q2. The new (to me) sailboat (Alerion 26) has a full, long keel, with no area in the cross section where there is a limited deadrise. It looks to me like the best it gets is maybe 40 degrees or so. Would that mean that the DST-800 would not work, and I would need to have separate speed and depth transducers, with the depth unit with a fairing that would get it more vertical?
A2. The DST should not be installed on such steep deadrise. Typically, sailboat hulls will have surface to the port or starboard side of the keel about 2/3 of the boat's length aft of the boats bow. Should this not be the case onboard your boat, then a transducer with a fairing block (ex. B744V) should be considered and will support being mounted in a location having up to 24 degrees of deadrise.
11-16-16, 09:46 AM (This post was last modified: 11-16-16 10:02 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks, Chuck. Would the fairing block adversely affect the way the paddlewheel senses the water flow?

Mark
11-16-16, 10:09 AM
Mark,

On the contrary, the B744V & B744VL fairing block based thru-hull triducers are commonly installed on sailing vessels and are specifically designed to provide a non-turbulent flow of water across the face of the transducer, ensuring excellent depth and speed performance.
11-18-16, 06:37 AM (This post was last modified: 11-18-16 08:46 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks again for all of the information.

Mark
11-18-16, 08:47 AM
You're welcome.