Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Electronics
10-30-16, 02:37 PM
New Electronics
I am replacing my current chartplotter with 2 Raymarine ES78 MFD's with internal GPS antennas, and am also replacing my old radar with a new Raymarine radar. The master MFD will be in the cockpit, and the repeater at the Nav table. I will be using an HS5 network switch to connect the two MFD's and radar together with Raynet hs cables. I currently have a Ray 60 VHF radio, Raymarine ST60+ instruments, and a Raymarine autopilot and computer. I also have a Vesper AIS transponder that I would like to integrate into the system. This is how I have planned to set up the system:

-The Vesper AIS is NMEA 0183 compatible, so I will connect the AIS output to the #1 input only NMEA 0183 port of the master MFD, and set that port at 38,400 Baud.

-To get the GPS signal to the VHF radio I will set the input/output #2 port of the master MFD to 4,800 Baud and connect that output to the input of the VHF radio.

-To get the heading sensor data to the master MFD I will connect one of the NMEA 0183 output ports of my existing Raymarine computer to the input of the input/output #2 port on the master MFD.

-To get heading sensor data to the repeater MFD I will connect the NMEA 0183 #1 input port of the repeater MFD to the output of the #2 port of the master MFD (thus, the #2 output port of the master MFD will be connected to both the VHF and the repeater MFD).

A few questions come to mind in regard to this proposed setup:

-First of all, does all of the above appear to be appropriate for the desired network connections?

-Will the Raynet hs cable carry the data from the internal GPS antenna in the master MFD to the repeater MFD, or do I need to use a Seatalk ng cable from the master to the repeater for the GPS data?

-I would like to have AIS available at the repeater MFD, but there will no remaining NMEA 0183 output port on the master MFD to provide this data. Would there be a problem with connecting the output from the Vesper AIS transponder to both the master and the repeater MFD #1 input only ports? This would provide the required 38,000 Baud to both MFD's, but in this case the master MFD would not be actually be a "master" as far as the AIS data is concerned. If this setup is a problem, do I need to setup a Seatalk ng backbone in order to get the AIS signal from the master MFD to the repeater MFD?

-I was initially planning to install a Quantum radar unit, using both power and data cables, but have read on an earlier Raymarine forum that the Quantum is considered inferior in performance to the Raymarine RD418HD radar. I am a bit confused about this, since my understanding is that at shorter ranges, the Quantum has superior definition as compared to the RD418HD radar. Since I am installing the radar on a gimballed mount at about 14' above water level I don't expect that the 48 mile range of the RD418HD, compared to the 24 mile range of the Quantum is a critical factor (since I am unlikely to pickup even large targets much beyond 20 miles). Additionally, since the radar will be installed on a cruising sailboat, the energy saving features of instant on and much lower energy use at both standby and transmit are significant factors to consider. I'm not sure how important the dual range and 48rpm features of the RD418HD are, since my current radar does not have these features. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance for any advice or recommendations.

BobSH
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-31-16, 12:50 PM (This post was last modified: 11-01-16 08:44 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: New Electronics
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Bob,

Q1/2) The Vesper AIS is NMEA 0183 compatible, so I will connect the AIS output to the #1 input only NMEA 0183 port of the master MFD, and set that port at 38,400 Baud. To get the GPS signal to the VHF radio I will set the input/output #2 port of the master MFD to 4,800 Baud and connect that output to the input of the VHF radio.
A1/2) Please note that within an Ethernet network of a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFDs, NMEA 0183 devices may be interfaced to the NMEA 0183 port of any MFD within the system. Only MFD's which have been powered ON will process data or transmit data via their NMEA 0183 ports. Please additionally note that while the MFD's NMEA 0183 Port 1 is an I/O port, its NMEA 0183 Port 2 is an input-only port. When the a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFDs have been interfaced via an Ethernet nework, all system data except for NTSC/PAL video is shared among the network of MFDs.

Raymarine AIS receivers and transceivers feature 38400/4800 multiplexing permitting data from a 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 talker to be multiplexed with AIS data to in turn be transmitted to the MFD. Additionally, the multiplexing feature of Raymarine Raymarine AIS receivers and transceivers permit system data received from the MFD to in turn be transmitted to up to three 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 listeners which have been interfaced to the MFD. Accordingly, is is recommended that third party AIS receivers and transceivers lacking this 38400/4800 multiplexing feature be interfaced to the MFD's NMEA 0183 Port 2 (IN-ONLY) and that the MFD's NMEA 0183 Port 2 be configured for 38400 BAUD NMEA 0183 communications (AIS 38400). The MFD's NMEA 0183 Port 1 may then be interfaced to the DSC VHF radio to supply it with GPS data and to additionally support have the VHF radio supply the MFD with DSC position reports.

Q3/Q4) To get the heading sensor data to the master MFD I will connect one of the NMEA 0183 output ports of my existing Raymarine computer to the input of the input/output #2 port on the master MFD. To get heading sensor data to the repeater MFD I will connect the NMEA 0183 #1 input port of the repeater MFD to the output of the #2 port of the master MFD (thus, the #2 output port of the master MFD will be connected to both the VHF and the repeater MFD).
A3/A4) Please note that only a limited set of Raymarine autopilot course computers featured support for transmission of 5Hz or 10Hz stabilized heading (the latter is required for MARPA radar features). These included the S1G (5Hz), S2G, S3G, X5 (5HZ), X10, and X30 Autopilot Course Computers. Should you opt to forego VHF radio supply the MFD with DSC position reports, then the NMEA 0183 output port of the autopilot course computer instead be interfaced to the MFD's NMEA 0183 Port 1 IN leads.

Q5) First of all, does all of the above appear to be appropriate for the desired network connections?
A5) No. Please see the responses to Q1-Q4 above.

Q6) Will the Raynet hs cable carry the data from the internal GPS antenna in the master MFD to the repeater MFD, or do I need to use a Seatalk ng cable from the master to the repeater for the GPS data?
A6) Yes. Within and Ethernet network of a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFDs, all data except for NTSC/PAL video is shared among the networked MFDs.

Q7) I would like to have AIS available at the repeater MFD, but there will no remaining NMEA 0183 output port on the master MFD to provide this data. Would there be a problem with connecting the output from the Vesper AIS transponder to both the master and the repeater MFD #1 input only ports? This would provide the required 38,000 Baud to both MFD's, but in this case the master MFD would not be actually be a "master" as far as the AIS data is concerned. If this setup is a problem, do I need to setup a Seatalk ng backbone in order to get the AIS signal from the master MFD to the repeater MFD?
A7) Within and Ethernet network of a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFDs, all data except for NTSC/PAL video is shared among the networked MFDs. Accordingly, the AIS receiver/transceiver need be and should be only interfaced to one of the MFDs.

Q8) I was initially planning to install a Quantum radar unit, using both power and data cables, but have read on an earlier Raymarine forum that the Quantum is considered inferior in performance to the Raymarine RD418HD radar. I am a bit confused about this, since my understanding is that at shorter ranges, the Quantum has superior definition as compared to the RD418HD radar. Since I am installing the radar on a gimballed mount at about 14' above water level I don't expect that the 48 mile range of the RD418HD, compared to the 24 mile range of the Quantum is a critical factor (since I am unlikely to pickup even large targets much beyond 20 miles). Additionally, since the radar will be installed on a cruising sailboat, the energy saving features of instant on and much lower energy use at both standby and transmit are significant factors to consider. I'm not sure how important the dual range and 48rpm features of the RD418HD are, since my current radar does not have these features. Any thoughts on this?
A8) Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. While the Quantum radome's close in performance may be slightly better than the RD418HD, the RD424HD radome is the equivalent or better in all other features except for power consumption. The over the horizon range of the HD and Super HD radars primarily support tracking storms and providing the power to punch through weather. Quantum radomes are extremely popular among the sailing community due to their excellent performance and very low power consumption. In the end, the decision will need to based upon how you intend to use the radar.
10-31-16, 03:48 PM (This post was last modified: 11-01-16 08:12 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck,
Thanks very much for your detailed reply. I gather from your reply that all of the NMEA 0183 data interfaced to the master MFD will be shared with the repeater MFD via the ethernet cable. I do have an additional question based upon your response: you noted that 10hz is required for the MARPA interface to the MFD's from the course computer, and that 10hz is available on the S2G and S3G course computers. I have the S2 autopilot course computer; not S2G (i.e., without the built in gyro). The Smart Pilot Installation Guide for my system gives a 10hz 0.1 degree resolution from NMEA 1 port for the S1 and S2 course computers. Will the NMEA 1 port on my S2 course computer be an appropriate source of heading sensor data for the MFD's?

Please note that I mistakenly sent you another message that repeated some of the questions that you have already answered; please disregard that message.

Thanks again.
BosSH
11-01-16, 09:02 AM (This post was last modified: 11-01-16 09:05 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
BosSH,

Q1) I gather from your reply that all of the NMEA 0183 data interfaced to the master MFD will be shared with the repeater MFD via the ethernet cable.
A1) Yes. However, sharing of data received via a MFD's NMEA 0183 ports with other networked MFDs is not limited to NMEA 0183 Talkers which have been interfaced to the Data Master MFD.

A2) You noted that 10hz is required for the MARPA interface to the MFD's from the course computer, and that 10hz is available on the S2G and S3G course computers. I have the S2 autopilot course computer; not S2G (i.e., without the built in gyro). The Smart Pilot Installation Guide for my system gives a 10hz 0.1 degree resolution from NMEA 1 port for the S1 and S2 course computers. Will the NMEA 1 port on my S2 course computer be an appropriate source of heading sensor data for the MFD's?
A2) The NMEA 1 port of the S2 and S3 autopilot course computers support transmission of non-stabilized 1Hz heading data, while the NMEA 1 port of the S2G and S3G autopilot course computers support transmission of stabilized 10Hz heading data. Stabilized 10Hz heading data is required for proper operation of the MFD's MARPA feature. As only non-stabilized 1Hz data is available from the S2 and S3 autopilot course computers, heading data of this same rate is transmitted by the autopilot course computer to SeaTalk, and the autopilot course computer will be interfaced to the new MFD via a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter, there would be no need to interface the autopilot course computer's NMEA 0183 output port to the MFD's NMEA 0183 input port, as it will be receiving 1Hz heading data via its SeaTalkng communications interface.
11-01-16, 01:41 PM (This post was last modified: 11-01-16 07:32 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck,
Thanks for the reply. As I noted, I currently have an S2 course computer with an external fluxgate compass. The computer is connected to a binnacle Smartpilot control, as well as to ST60+ binnacle wind instrument and depth sounder displays/controls. As I noted in a previous post, I am planning to install 2 Raymarine MFD's and Quantum radar; however, with the exception of my planned NMEA 0183 connection from the computer to the MFD, I do not plan to interface the existing displays/controls to the MFD's, but will rather keep them as separate components at the binnacle.
From what you note in your message to me, the S2 computer, although specifying in the operator's manual a 10hz availability, actually has only 1hz available. In this case I will need another source of heading data in order to use the MARPA feature of the MFD's. Would the Raymarine Fast Heading Sensor, connected via NMEA 0183 to the MFD be the best way to achieve this?
Regards,
BosSH
11-01-16, 07:38 PM
BosSH,

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. In accordance with the referenced FAQ, it would be recommended that an EV-1 Sensor Core be interfaced to the new MFD to support MARPA radar features.
11-02-16, 07:04 AM (This post was last modified: 11-03-16 09:09 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks again Chuck,
I will go ahead and interface an EV 1 to the MFD's for the MARPA data. A couple of questions: Does the EV 1 need a separate power source, or will the Seatalkng cable provide that? At this point I have not planned on having a Seatalkng backbone, since all of the data interface for my setup will be handled by Seatalkhs and NMEA 0183. Since I have an unused Seatalkng connection available on the MFD, I assume that connecting the EV 1 with a Seatalkng cable to that MFD connection will be all that is needed for the MARPA function?
Regards,
Bob
11-03-16, 09:13 AM
Bob,

Like other SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 devices, the EV-1 Sensor Core is designed to be interfaced to the Data Master MFD and powered via a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng backbone. Raymarine MFD's are neither designed to be powered by nor supply power to a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone, making it necessary to power the backbone from a switched 12VDC power circuit. A simple backbone may be constructed from the following components:

- A06064 SeaTalkng 5-Way Connector
- A06031 SeaTalkng Termination Plugs x 2
- A06049 SeaTalkng Power Cable
- a pair of SeaTalkng Spur Cables of appropriate length to interface the a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFD and EV-1 Sensor Core to the SeaTalkng 5-Way Connector.
11-03-16, 11:58 AM (This post was last modified: 11-03-16 01:40 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck,
Thank you for all of the help and advice in setting up my system. I think that I'm all set not to order the components and wire them all up with my current electronics. Although, I suspect I might have a question or two further on down the road.
Regards,
Bob
11-03-16, 01:40 PM
You're welcome.