Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
P70 with S2 FW Update and System Detection
11-01-16, 11:55 AM
P70 with S2 FW Update and System Detection
Helllo!

I have an older S2 course computer with a new P70 control head. The steering system is hydraulic (type 1).

ST50 generation Seatalk instruments are also connected at the S2: Depth Sounder, Wind speed/direction, NavData.

The P70 functions correctly in that it controls the heading of the boat based on the S2 compass reading. It also correctly repeats the output of the other instruments (depth, wind speed, SOG, etc). I have not tested Wind vane steering yet, nor NMEA/GPS based autopilot function.

My questions regarding the P70:
1) How do I update the P70 FW?
2) When I'm in the P70 menu Setup-->System-Setup-->Data Sources, any data source I select causes a reboot and the message "No Control Head". Is this expected behaviour?
3) How do I set the time/date?

Thanks!
- Jordan
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-01-16, 01:12 PM
RE: P70 with S2 FW Update and System Detection
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Jordan,

Q1) How do I update the P70 FW?
A1) The software of the p70/p70R autopilot control heads are designed to be updated via a MFD having a SeaTalkng communications interface (ex. a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFD, C/E-Series Widescreen MFD, A/E-Series Classic MFD, GPM400). Alternatively, the p70/p70R may be updated by a Certified Raymarine Installer or by sending the p70/p70R to Raymarine's Product Repair Center.

Q2) When I'm in the P70 menu Setup-->System-Setup-->Data Sources, any data source I select causes a reboot and the message "No Control Head". Is this expected behaviour?
A2) The Data Sources feature is exclusively designed for p70/p70R autopilot control heads which have been installed as a SeaTalkng device rather than a SeaTalk device, as the p70/p70R would have been when interfaced to a system such as yours. Unlike SeaTalkng, SeaTalk communications protocol was limited to a single source of any specific type of data (ex. GPS, wind, depth, speed, etc.).

Q3) How do I set the time/date?
A3) Marine electronics systems are dependent upon a GPS sensing device to supply the system UTC date and time. Some devices, such as the p70/p70R, permit the operator to configure a time offset (referred to as a Zone Description (ZD) in navigational terms) (MENU->SET-UP->USER PREFERENCES->TIME & DATE ->EDIT->TIME OFFSET) to permit the device to in turn convert UTC date / time data to local date / time data.
11-03-16, 12:50 PM
Thank you!!!
11-03-16, 01:38 PM
You're welcome.