Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help with compatibility upgrading my equipment
11-16-16, 02:36 PM
Help with compatibility upgrading my equipment
I was very glad to find this Forum, and impressed at the responsiveness. I am in Brazil, and struggling to find well-prepared technical assistance to help me adapt my current configuration instead of trying to sell me "everything new".

I just bought a 2003 Hunter 466, that came with a bunch of Raymarine electronics (some in need of substitution / upgrade). I would like to know what items can I save, when upgrading my chartplotter to a MFD. I am quite a layman regarding the electronic parameters, although some reading has put me understading a bit.

My current configuration is as follows:

At the helm (picture attached):
- ST60 Depth Display (busted screen, alarm will sound but buttons won't work)
- ST7001+ Autopilot (working fine. I fixed the screen after the picture was taken)
- ST60 Speed Display (works occasionally. I may have to get new speed transducers)
- A57D Chartplotter (which is the only device displaying AIS information. Not sure where the AIS data is being generated though - I haven't digged the boat enough to find it yet)
- Garmin GPSMap 2108 (not a big fan, as I was used to a touchscreen version on previous boat.
- ST40 wind instrument (actually, 2 of those)

At the Nav Station:
- SL72 Radar Display (not working - Powers on, but no display or button sounds)
- RC435 Chartplotter (works, but I never use it)
- There is a "400 course computer" hidden in the cabinet, which I believe is related to the autopilot.

There are at least 3 external GPS antennas around the cockpit (not sure why so many)
There is a Raymarine Radome on the mast (not sure what model, but certainly installed in early 2000's, if that helps).

My idea here was to upgrade the helm instruments to a 9" MFD (a98 possibly), with all the functions integrated (Chartplotter / Radar / AIS / Depth etc), and keep the autopilot (don't want to upgrade this expensive unit now)

If everything works as intended will probably get rid of the RC435 down below, and reposition the Garmin 2108 and the A57D somewhere inside, for some redundancy.

My questions are:

1. Will my current autopilot work with the a98, accepting their full routing capabilities (Navionics routes, etc?)

2. If I want to upgrade my current st60 wind / depth displays to, say, i70 multifunction displays, will I need to get new wind / depth / speed transducers for them, or will my old ones be compatible? Any converters necessary?

3. I am aware I would need a new digital radome, since my old one is not compatible with the a98. Will the Rd418Hd Radome be also compatible with the Garmin 2108, as a second screen downstairs? If so, will I be able to use both the Garmin and the a98 simultaneously?

4. Will my AIS unit (currently feeding the A57D) be compatible with the a98? Will I be able to feed the Garmin AND the a57D simultaneously? (same question as 3)

5. If I DO have to upgrade my depth transducer, I am considering getting a thru-hull with Downvision because... why not? Will it send basic depth data to all my equipment?

6. Do I really need a separate external GPS antenna for each of the displays, as it's currently installed?

Thank you, for any help with this.

Cheers!

Antonio B.
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-17-16, 10:52 AM
RE: Help with compatibility upgrading my equipment
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Antonio,

General comment: You plan to relocate the A57D below decks is sound. The A57D MFD may be interfaced as a spur to a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng backbone to which the a98 MFD will also be interfaced as a spur. It is recommended that you determine the make/model of AIS receiver/transceiver which has been installed onboard the vessel and then interface the AIS receiver/transceiver to the SeaTalkng backbone. Should the AIS receiver/transceiver feature a SeaTalkng or NMEA 2000 communications interface, then it is recommended that it be interfaced as a spur to the SeaTalkng backbone. Should the AIS receiver/transceiver only feature a NMEA 0183 communications interface, then it is recommended that it be adapted with an Actisense NGW-1-ISO-AIS NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 Data Bridge to permit it to be interfaced to the SeaTalkng backbone.

My questions are:

Q1. Will my current autopilot work with the a98, accepting their full routing capabilities (Navionics routes, etc?)
A1. Please note that the ST7001+ is simply an autopilot control head and was compatible with a number of Raymarine autopilot course computers ... in this case a Type 400 (S2) autopilot course computer. A SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter will be used to interface an unpowered SeaTalk bus (accomplished by not connecting the red lead of the SeaTalk cable to the autopilot course computer's red SeaTalk terminal) including the ST7001+ and Type 400 autopilot course computer to the SeaTalkng backbone. Interfacing the autopilot to the system via SeaTalkng communications protocol will maximize the autopilot features and flexibility in how the system is used.

Q2. If I want to upgrade my current st60 wind / depth displays to, say, i70 multifunction displays, will I need to get new wind / depth / speed transducers for them, or will my old ones be compatible? Any converters necessary?
A2. While the depth, speed, and temperature transducers may be used with an iTC-5 Analog Instrument Converter and i70 MFID, the currently installed wind transducer must be of the same wind vane transducer design (i.e. must look the same) as that currently sold by Raymarine.

Q3. I am aware I would need a new digital radome, since my old one is not compatible with the a98. Will the Rd418Hd Radome be also compatible with the Garmin 2108, as a second screen downstairs? If so, will I be able to use both the Garmin and the a98 simultaneously?
A3. Raymarine radar transducers (i.e. radomes and pedestals) are exclusively designed for use with Raymarine MFDs. Accordingly, a RD418HD radome may not be interfaced to the Garmin product, nor would a Garmin product which has been interfaced to a Raymarine MFD (which in turn had been interfaced to a compatible Raymarine radar transducer) be able to display radar imagery from the Raymarine radar transducer.

Q4. Will my AIS unit (currently feeding the A57D) be compatible with the a98? Will I be able to feed the Garmin AND the a57D simultaneously? (same question as 3).
A4. In order to address this question, it would be necessary to know the make/model of AIS receiver / transceiver which has been installed onboard.

Q5. If I DO have to upgrade my depth transducer, I am considering getting a thru-hull with Downvision because... why not? Will it send basic depth data to all my equipment?
A5. Yes.

Q6. Do I really need a separate external GPS antenna for each of the displays, as it's currently installed?
A6. No. It is likely that the Garmin chartplotter, RC435, and possibly the A57D each had their own GPS sensor. Should the a98 be installed in a location affording it an unobstructed view of the skies overhead, then it could supply GPS data both the A57D (ensure that it's internal GPS has been switched OFF) and Garmin chartplotter should they each be interfaced as spurs to the SeaTalkng backbone. Should the Garmin chartplotter not feature a NMEA 2000 communications interface, then it may be adapted with a NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 Data Bridge (ex. Actisense NGW-1-ISO-STNG, etc.).
Find all posts by this user
11-17-16, 12:44 PM (This post was last modified: 11-17-16 01:36 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Dear Chuck,

Thank you for your prompt and thorough reply.

I´ll be on the boat this weekend and will get back to you with more details on the AIS, the wind transducer and the autopilot ASAP.

Cheers

Antonio Bindi
11-17-16, 01:37 PM
You're welcome.
11-21-16, 10:00 AM
Dear Chuck,

Back from the weekend, I was able to find the AIS receiver, a Raymarine AIS650 Class B. Good for my new setup?

I wasn't able to see the Autopilot's model number, which would have required disassembly.

I the same space as the AIS I found a Garmin GSD21 transducer, which I am guessing is working alongside the GPSMap 2108.

Cheers.
11-21-16, 11:28 AM
Antonio,

The AIS650 is indeed compatible with Raymarine's a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFDs. It would be recommended that it be interfaced as a spur to the SeaTalkng backbone to supply the system with AIS data. Should you additionally desire to view AIS data on the A57D MFD, then the 38400 BAUD NMEA 0183 output leads of the AIS650 would be interfaced to the A57D MFD's NMEA 0183 Port 1 or 2 input leads and the corresponding NMEA 0183 port of the A57D would then be configured to "AIS 38400" to match the communications BAUD rate of the AIS650's 38400 BAUD NMEA 0183 output port.
11-21-16, 01:17 PM
Thanks again, Chuck.

I am now researching the equipment I'll get, and have a few questions:

Q1: Selecting Radome.
I am looking both into RD418HD and the 18"Quantum. Is there any significant difference, apart from the fact that the Quantum is Wifi enabled? This seems to be the easiest to set up, but will I lose any features / quality over choosing the RD814HD? Brief comparison?

Q2: Series A9x MFD product selection.
I am searching on Amazon, and a bit confused when selecting the series a 9" mfd... There is a95, a97, a98, and it seems the difference resides in the loaded maps or bundled tranducers.
I am in Brazil, and can't seem to find the option with "South America / Caribbean map", and also wouldn't need any new transducers. Could you please point me to the correct product spec I should be looking for? Maybe getting the "blank" MFD plus the correct map SD?

Q3: Looking into the new p70 autopilot control head, to replace the ST7001+ in the helm area where all the instruments will be upgraded. Is it possible to reposition the ST7001+, having both control heads working at the same time? Will one recognize commands taken by the other?

Cheers!
11-21-16, 03:55 PM
Antonio,

Q1: Selecting Radome.
I am looking both into RD418HD and the 18"Quantum. Is there any significant difference, apart from the fact that the Quantum is Wifi enabled? This seems to be the easiest to set up, but will I lose any features / quality over choosing the RD814HD? Brief comparison?
A1. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.

Q2. Series A9x MFD product selection.
I am searching on Amazon, and a bit confused when selecting the series a 9" mfd... There is a95, a97, a98, and it seems the difference resides in the loaded maps or bundled tranducers.
I am in Brazil, and can't seem to find the option with "South America / Caribbean map", and also wouldn't need any new transducers. Could you please point me to the correct product spec I should be looking for? Maybe getting the "blank" MFD plus the correct map SD?
A2. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing the difference between ax5, ax7, and ax8 MFDs. Additionally, Raymarine MFDs are offered without a chart card as well as in a bundle which includes a LightHouse, Navionics+, or C-Map Essentials Chart card. Should a MFD be purchased without a chart card (recommended in your case) or a chart card which does not provide coverage of your area, then a Navionics+ or C-Map 4D Max+ chart card providing cartography coverage for your area may be purchased from an authorized Navionics or C-Map dealer respectively. Additionally, the LightHouse Charts Store sells Brazil Raster Charts for use with Raymarine's a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFDs.

Q3. Looking into the new p70 autopilot control head, to replace the ST7001+ in the helm area where all the instruments will be upgraded. Is it possible to reposition the ST7001+, having both control heads working at the same time? Will one recognize commands taken by the other?
A3. It is indeed possible to do as you have suggested. When properly interfaced to the system, both autopilots would be capable of commanding the autopilot as well as reflecting its state.
11-29-16, 02:38 PM
Hello, Chuck.

Back with a few questions, concerning transducers:

My boat currently has two thru-hull transducers:

1. A non-functioning ST800 / P120 Speed transducer (stuck / oxydized "turbine")
2. A working D800/P17 Depth

My initial plan is to get a D800/P17 TRIDUCER to replace the faulty P120. I also wanted to get a CPT-110 DownVision Transducer, to work with my new a98.

Questions:
1. Can I simply remove the retractable inner core of the old (working) D800/P17 and and stick the new Triducer in the thru-hull jacket, preventing me from removing the whole setup?

2. Will the CPT-100's gauge (screw diameter) be compatible with the leftover [censored] in the hull, once I remove the P120 speed?

3. I am aware there will be depth redundancy in the system, but will the new CPT-100 and the new Triducer interfere with each other's signal? The current transducers are set side by side, about 12 inches apart.

4. How do I select from which of the available transducers my system will read depth information?

A whole different approach would be to just get a new ST800/P120 speed / temperature transducer and the CPT-100 for depth. What are your thought on this one?

Thank you!!
11-29-16, 04:03 PM
Antonio,

Q1. Can I simply remove the retractable inner core of the old (working) D800/P17 and and stick the new Triducer in the thru-hull jacket, preventing me from removing the whole setup?
A1. Unfortunately, the inside diameter of the DST800's housing differs from that of the ST800 / P120, necessitating that the ST800 / P120's housing be removed when installing a DST800.

Q2. Will the CPT-100's gauge (screw diameter) be compatible with the leftover [censored] in the hull, once I remove the P120 speed?
A2. I believe that you have referenced the incorrect CHIRP/DownVision Transducer, as the CPT-100 is a transom mounted transducer. Should you have meant CPT-110, then please note that the shaft diameter of the CPT-110/120 is 1.26". The outside diameter of the ST800 / P120 housing is 2".

Q3. I am aware there will be depth redundancy in the system, but will the new CPT-100 and the new Triducer interfere with each other's signal? The current transducers are set side by side, about 12 inches apart.
A3. As the CHIRP/DownVision transducer are low power and do not share common frequencies, interference is not likely.

Q4. How do I select from which of the available transducers my system will read depth information?
A4. Within the MFD's Data Sources menu, you will find an option to select the Depth data source to be used from the data sources sensed by the system.