Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adding an MFD?
12-10-16, 05:08 PM
Adding an MFD?
Hello,

I have a RayMarine system on our boat, with an e95 MFD, Digital Radar, Evolution AP, ST60 instruments (with converter) etc. It's working fine, but I am considering adding an additional MFD - either an a65 or a75 so I can see what's going on when I'm below. I already have a Raynet HS-5 (ethernet) switch to tie it in.

Questions:
1. Can I use the charting already installed in my e95? (I have nice, new Navionics charts on one microSD card, plus various Lighthouse charts on my second card) and;
2. Will I need to tie in the SeatalkNG network as well?
3. Assuming the answer to 1. above is "yes", can I use different charts in the two different MFDs?
4. Are there any issues with delays/waiting for charts (or radar display) to load?

Thanks!

Hartley
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-12-16, 04:54 PM
RE: Adding an MFD?
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Hartley,

Q1. Can I use the charting already installed in my e95? (I have nice, new Navionics charts on one microSD card, plus various Lighthouse charts on my second card) and;
A1. Yes. When networked to one another via the HS5 RayNet Network Switch, the MFDs will share all system resources except for NTSC/PAL video.

Q2. Will I need to tie in the SeatalkNG network as well?
A2. It is not necessary to do so unless you plan use the additional MFD while the e95 has been powered OFF.

Q3. Assuming the answer to 1. above is "yes", can I use different charts in the two different MFDs?
A3. Yes. The configuration of each Chart application page/pane's Chart Selection determines which cartography will be used by the corresponding Chart application page/pane.

Q4. Are there any issues with delays/waiting for charts (or radar display) to load?
A4. No.
12-15-16, 09:58 AM (This post was last modified: 12-15-16 10:59 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thank You, Chuck!

Regarding Q2, if I tie in both networks (so I can watch the instruments while at the dock and the helm MFD is off) are there any special settings so the two MFD's don't conflict on the STng network?

One additional question: the ax5 device will be down below, where I fear it's GPS receiver will be sub-optimal. Should it be disabled in the settings?

Thanks,

Hartley
12-15-16, 11:05 AM
Hartley,

Q1. If I tie in both networks (so I can watch the instruments while at the dock and the helm MFD is off) are there any special settings so the two MFD's don't conflict on the STng network?

A1. In order for a MFD to process data via its SeaTalkng communications interface, the MFD must be configured as the system's Data Master MFD (HOME->SET-UP->MAINTENANCE->DATA MASTER). Only one MFD within a network of MFDs may be configure as the system's Data Master MFD. Accordingly, this action must be commanded when one of the MFDs is switched ON the other MFD will be switched OFF.

Q2. One additional question: the ax5 device will be down below, where I fear it's GPS receiver will be sub-optimal. Should it be disabled in the settings?

A2. The internal GPS configuration setting (HOME->SET-UP->SYSTEM SETTINGS->INTERNAL GPS) of the MFD installed below deck should be configured OFF .