Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A97 to ST6002/S2 autopilot
02-24-16, 06:58 PM
A97 to ST6002/S2 autopilot
I just received my new A97 MFD. In the online installation manual it says I can connect my Seatalk ST6002 Pilot controller via a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng converter. I bought the converter, but the manual that came with the converter says "A SeaTalk autopilot or associated controller must not be connected to the SeaTalk - SeaTalkng converter". The manual was printed 06-2010 so maybe this is outdated information?

Also, the converter manual says "Power must not be connected into the SeaTalk spur", even though there's a picture in the manual showing this. My plan was to power my new SeaTalkng backbone through one of the converter spur ports, is this acceptable?

Thanks,
Chris
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-25-16, 08:56 AM (This post was last modified: 03-25-16 08:45 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: A97 to ST6002/S2 autopilot
Welcome to the Raymarine Technical Forum Chris,

Please click here to view the previously posted FAQ addressing the first issue of your thread.

SeaTalk instruments, autopilot components, GPS sensors, and chartplotters featuring a 1st generation SeaTalk interface which do not additionally feature a SeaTalkng interface (ex. ST40/60 Instrument Displays, ST6001, S2G, Wireless AP Controller, Raystar 125 GPS Sensor, etc.) should be interfaced to one another, in any order, using standard SeaTalk Cables. SeaTalk Cables can be joined using D244 SeaTalk Junction Blocks, splices, marine grade terminal strips, or R55006 SeaTalk Auxiliary Junction Boxes. SeaTalk Cable is available in 15", 1m, 3m, 5m, and 9m lengths. This method of interfacing is referred to as a SeaTalk bus.

Each SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter will support a SeaTalk bus of up to five SeaTalk devices. Should your present SeaTalk bus consist of more than five SeaTalk devices, then it will need to be divided into smaller busses including no more than five SeaTalk devices. Each bus will in turn be connected to the yellow SeaTalk port of a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. The SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converters may be interfaced to one another via appropriate length of SeaTalkng Backbone Cable. The SeaTalk bus will need to be branched or extended and connected to the yellow (SeaTalk) port of an E22158 SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit which has been upgraded with v2.01 or later SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter software.

The Data Master a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFD will in turn be interfaced to one of the white SeaTalkng spur ports of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter using an appropriate length of SeaTalkng Spur Cable.

The SeaTalk bus will be to be disconnected from its present power source ... note: this may well be the red terminal of an autopilot course computer's SeaTalk port. The SeaTalk bus will instead be powered via the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. The SeaTalkng power cable supplied with the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit will be connected to a 12VDC power circuit and will be interfaced to the other white SeaTalkng spur ports of a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter at the approximate midpoint of the LEN load of the SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 backbone which is being created.

Finally, the supplied SeaTalkng Termination Plugs will need to be installed in the two blue SeaTalkng backbone ports of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter(s).
02-25-16, 09:31 AM
Chuck,
Thanks for the reply. So, just to clarify:
1. I can apply power to a spur port on the converter?
2. I need to update the converter software. Can I do this via my new a97 MFD once I get it installed and connected to the converter?

Please confirm these 2 questions for me.

Thanks,
Chris
02-25-16, 11:07 AM
Chris,
Q1. I can apply power to a spur port on the converter?
A1. Yes.

Q2. I need to update the converter software. Can I do this via my new a97 MFD once I get it installed and connected to the converter?
A2. Yes.