Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Autopilot without Chart Plotter
12-27-16, 04:15 PM
Autopilot without Chart Plotter
I am considering getting the EV100 for my 18' boat for trolling. But I don't need a chart plotter or depth finder. What can I do without the plotter? I'd like to be able to use the trolling patterns. But that would seem to need a gps input. Could a gps input come from a non Raymarine device such as my VHF radio?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-28-16, 09:34 AM
RE: Autopilot without Chart Plotter
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum mdmeredith,

The Evolution autopilots are designed to accept GPS data from a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 source of GPS data. Should your VHF radio output GPS PGNs in NMEA 2000 format, then the VHF radio may be interfaced as a spur to the SeaTalkng backbone to supply the autopilot with GPS data. Alternatively, should your VHF radio output NMEA 0183 sentences including GPS data (ex. RMC, GLL, etc.), then the VHF radio may be interfaced to a NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 data bridging device (ex. Actisense NGW-1-ISO-AIS, etc.), which in turn may be interfaced as a spur to the SeaTalkng backbone to supply the autopilot with GPS data. Should the VHF radio not transmit GPS data via its NMEA 2000 or NMEA 0183 communications interface, then it would generally be advised that a Raystar 150 GPS Sensor be interfaced to the SeaTalkng backbone to supply the autopilot with GPS data.

A chartplotting product is only required to use the autopilot's Track mode feature.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply