Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rudder Position Sensor - M81105
01-17-17, 09:30 PM
Rudder Position Sensor - M81105
In my attempts to gather information to assist me in installing my new M81105 on my sailboat, I came across this link:

http://raymarine.ning.com/forum/topics/r...sor-m81105

I appreciate that this forum is now longer active; however, the information that it contains is germane to my project. The dilemma I have pertains to the maximum angle that the Rudder Position Sensor can physically rotate. From the link, it seems, at least for this gentleman's application (EV-100), the maximum is 30° in each direction or a total of 60°.

On the instruction sheet that accompanied my sensor it shows the "Maximum permitted travel +/-60°". I take this as +/-60° from center or a total of 120° stop to stop. My rudder quadrant rotates approximately 90° from stop to stop. Please confirm that the Rudder Position Sensor can rotate greater than the 90° needed by the quadrant?

I will be electrically interfacing the M81105 to a SPX-5 Course Computer.

Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-18-17, 01:26 PM
RE: Rudder Position Sensor - M81105
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Hello Below,

Raymarine's M81105 Rotary Rudder Reference Transducer does indeed support approximately 120 degrees of rotation. However, a properly installed Raymarine autopilot linear drive will limit rudder movement to +/- 30 degrees. Similarly, Raymarine's autopilots will not drive a rudder more than approximately +/- 30 degrees when operating in Auto or Standby modes. Additionally, should
- an Evolution or SPX autopilot be installed onboard, and
- a drive unit other than a linear drive be installed, and
- the rudder be moved more than approximately +/- 50 degrees,
then the autopilot will no longer report rudder angle, requiring that the autopilot be restarted (i.e. switched OFF and then switched ON again) to resume correctly reporting rudder angle.
01-19-17, 08:51 PM (This post was last modified: 01-20-17 10:51 AM by Hello Below.)
Your information defines the physical limits of the Rudder Reference Transducer Arm. This is very useful. Thank you very much for that.

There (hopefully) should never be a time when it would be necessary for the autopilot to drive my rudder greater than +/- 30° under normal circumstances other than tacking/gybing.

The transducer will be connected to my existing Smart Pilot X-5 Wheel. After reading the SPX-5 Setup Guide I believe this will work very well if my rudder mechanical end stops are less than +/- 45° (or 90° stop to stop). And I believe this is the case.

Thanks again for your continued assistance.
01-20-17, 09:48 AM
You're welcome.