Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
E120/SeaRay Navigator Upgrade ?
01-20-17, 09:47 AM (This post was last modified: 01-23-17 10:25 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: E120/SeaRay Navigator Upgrade ?
rvaupel23,

Q1) I'll have the two eS12x MFD's, the CAM220, the HD Color Radome, and the SR100 connected to the HS5 switch. Those 5 devices will effectively consume every port on the HS5 and any future add-ons will require a second switch. Any issue?
A1) No. You may either daisy chain the HS5 RayNet Network Switches together using an appropriate length of RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable or connect the additional compatible devices having an Ethernet communications interface to any vacant Ethernet Network ports of the MFDs. In the case of the latter, access to a device which has been connected to a MFD's Ethernet port would require that the same MFD be powered ON whenever it is desired to have another within the system access the Ethernet device. This is an important consideration in systems having more than one MFD and the concept of operation may included having one or more or the MFDs switched OFF while using one of the system's MFD. Accordingly, it is considered a best practice to employ HS5 RayNet Switch and interface all compatible devices having an Ethernet communications interface via these network switches.

Q2) The Ray240 and the SG2 SmartPilot will connect through a SeaTalk 3-way Junction to the ST to NG converter kit. Any issue?
A2) See my initial response regarding recommendations for interfacing the Ray240 to the system. As indicated within the reference FAQ addressing interfacing SeaTalk devices, the SeaTalk bus must be disconnected from its present source of power ... this may well be the red SeaTalk terminal of the S2G. I would recommended that the autopilot control head be disconnected from the S2G and instead that it be connected to a D244 SeaTalk Junction Block using an appropriate length of SeaTalk Cable terminated with 3-pin press-fit plugs. Only one of the S2G's SeaTalk ports will be used and it too will be interfaced to the aforementioned D244 SeaTalk Junction Block. Finally, the D244 SeaTalk Junction Block will be joined to the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter using the cable supplied with the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit.

Q3) The AIS500 will connect via a spur cable to the ST to NG converter. Any issue?
A3) You will need at least 3 spur sockets within your system's SeaTalkng backbone ... the ST-STng Converter only provides two. See the portion of my prior response addressing how to add additional spur sockets to the SeaTalkng backbone.

Q4) One of the eS12x MFD's will also connect to the ST to NG converter via a spur connection to bridge the two networks. Any issue and/or does it matter which MFD connects via NG?
A4) The MFD which will be designated as the system's Data Master MFD will be interfaced as a spur to the SeaTalkng backbone. Should the concept of operation include operating one of the MFDs while the other is switched OFF, then it would be recommended that each MFD be interfaced as a spur the SeaTalkng backbone. Only the SeaTalkng port of the MFD which has been configured as the system's Data Master (HOME->SET-UP->MAINTENANCE->DATA MASTER) will be active.

Q5) What size fuse is specified for the HS5 switch? The installation document doesn't say.
A5) The installation manual for the HS5 RayNet Network Switch may be found here. According to the specifications portion of the installation manual, the power consumption of the switch is < 2.5 W (i.e. < 600 mA @ 12 V). It is correspondingly recommended that the circuit be protected with a 2A fuse.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: E120/SeaRay Navigator Upgrade ? - Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator - 01-20-17 09:47 AM