Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Upgrading older system...
01-20-17, 12:39 PM
Upgrading older system...
Hi, I am upgrading an older C80 Raymarine system with two E120W displays. I plan to use a Raymarine Ethernet hub, DSM 300 sounder module, P66 transducer and digital radome. I have a couple of questions regarding the GPS receiver. I have a Raystar 120 GPS receiver and trying to understand if this will work with my new setup. If so, I need some information on how to connect the 120 to the network. I have read the E120W manual and sounds like I can use NMEA 0183 for this connection, correct? Is this the best way to do this? Or should I consider upgrading the receiver to the 130 or something similar?

Second, I see in an install diagram that it appears the radome can be wired directly to the Ethernet hub with the HS cables. Is this correct? Or does the radome need to be wired directly to the master MFD? If so, what would the ideal connection to the MFD as the Raynet HS connection will be used for the Ethernet hub?

Thank you!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-20-17, 02:07 PM (This post was last modified: 01-20-17 02:10 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: Upgrading older system...
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum FishBut,

Q1) I have a Raystar 120 GPS receiver and trying to understand if this will work with my new setup. If so, I need some information on how to connect the 120 to the network. I have read the E120W manual and sounds like I can use NMEA 0183 for this connection, correct? Is this the best way to do this? Or should I consider upgrading the receiver to the 130 or something similar?
A1) The Raystar 120 GPS Sensor was produced in both SeaTalk and NMEA 0183 versions. A vinyl medallion affixed to the upper shell identifies whether the currently installed sensor is the SeaTalk or NMEA 0183 version. See the wiring tables below addressing how each version would be interfaced to a C/E-Series Widescreen MFD. Only one MFD need be interfaced to the GPS sensor. Should the currently installed Raystar 120 GPS Sensor be the SeaTalk variant, then it must be interfaced to the MFD which will be designated as the system's Data Master MFD.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=720]

--------------------------------

[Image: attachment.php?aid=721]

Q2) I see in an install diagram that it appears the radome can be wired directly to the Ethernet hub with the HS cables. Is this correct? Or does the radome need to be wired directly to the master MFD? If so, what would the ideal connection to the MFD as the Raynet HS connection will be used for the Ethernet hub?
A2) As the E-Series Widescreen MFDs feature only one SeaTalkhs socket, each MFD will need to be interfaced to the system's Ethernet network switch (HS5 RayNet Network Switch, SeaTalkhs Network Switch (retired), or SR6 Sirius Satellite Weather Receiver / Network Switch (retired). The radome will also be interfaced to the Ethernet network switch.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

01-20-17, 02:31 PM
Very helpful...thank you Chuck!
01-20-17, 02:32 PM
You're welcome.
02-08-17, 09:25 AM
Hi, in process of getting the system wired up and running a DSM 300, RD424D radome and the two E120Ws to the Raymarine SeaTalk Network Switch and had a couple of questions. The Raymarine install guide specifies "high speed" and "low speed" data connections on the Network Switch. It can't find where it specifies which devices should be connected to the high speed or low speed connections. From the 4 devices mentioned above, can you tell me which connections (high speed or low speed) should be used?

Second, both the SeaTalk network switch and the RD424D radome have a "ground" connection indicated. The radome has a green wire in the power cable and the network switch has a connection for power, neutral and ground. Should both of these "ground" connections be made to the boat's "green wire" bonding system? That is the best I can tell from the install guides but wanted to check. Is the purpose of this additional grounding related to lightning strikes or something similar?

Thank you!
02-08-17, 09:41 AM
FishBut,

Q1. The Raymarine install guide specifies "high speed" and "low speed" data connections on the Network Switch. It can't find where it specifies which devices should be connected to the high speed or low speed connections. From the 4 devices mentioned above, can you tell me which connections (high speed or low speed) should be used?
A1. Should more than one HS5 RayNet Network Switch be installed onboard a boat, then the gigabit/sec (high speed) port of the switch would be used to link the switches together. Should the system feature gS-Series MFDs, then the gigabit/sec port of the switch would be used to link the switch to the gS-Series MFD. In all other cases, any the HS5's Network ports may be used to interface compatible products to one another

Q2. Second, both the SeaTalk network switch and the RD424D radome have a "ground" connection indicated. The radome has a green wire in the power cable and the network switch has a connection for power, neutral and ground. Should both of these "ground" connections be made to the boat's "green wire" bonding system? That is the best I can tell from the install guides but wanted to check. Is the purpose of this additional grounding related to lightning strikes or something similar?
A2. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.
02-08-17, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the quick reply Chuck!
02-08-17, 11:56 AM
You're welcome.
02-26-17, 08:03 PM
Chuck, got everything wired up this weekend. Everything seemed fine (radar and sonar) but could not get a gps signal. Wired the seaTalk 120 as described above and set the MFD for seaTalk 1. Wondering if the 120 is having an issue. I opened it up and checked the 3v battery and I am showing no volts at all. By the way the battery is in there I take it these are not meant to be replaced, correct?

Any other suggestions for troubleshooting this? Dumb question but I only wired the three wires mentioned above for the SeaTalk connection. There is no other wiring or wiring for power needed, correct?
02-27-17, 09:09 AM
FishBut,

Q1. Wired the seaTalk 120 as described above and set the MFD for seaTalk 1. Wondering if the 120 is having an issue.
A1. Actually, you have not interfaced the Raystar 120 SeaTalk GPS Sensor to the system as had been previously specified ... see the response to Q3. When properly installed and communicating with the MFD (irrespective of whether the GPS is acquiring a GPS position FIX), the Raystar 120 GPS Sensor should appear within the MFD's SeaTalk Devices List (HOME->MENU->SYSTEM DIAGNOSTICS->EXTERNAL DEVICES->SEATALK->SEATALK DEVICES). It is recommended that a failed Raystar 120 GPS Sensor be replaced with a Raystar 150 GPS Sensor (replacement for the recently retired Raystar 130 GPS Sensor).

Q2: I opened it up and checked the 3v battery and I am showing no volts at all. By the way the battery is in there I take it these are not meant to be replaced, correct?
A2: The RS120 GPS Sensor's battery was not designed for replacement and Raymarine has specified not part for doing so. Should you desire to replace its battery, then it is recommended that it be brought to a business specializing in replacing electronics batteries which are solder to circuit boards (ex. Batteries Plus Bulbs, etc.).

Q3: Dumb question but I only wired the three wires mentioned above for the SeaTalk connection. There is no other wiring or wiring for power needed, correct?
A3: Please refer to my initial chart addressing how to interface a Raystar 120 SeaTalk GPS Sensor to the MFD ... it additionally called for connecting leads to power and ground.