Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wi-Fish Application issues
01-23-17, 10:01 AM
Wi-Fish Application issues
I recently purchased the Wi-Fish and for the most part very impressed. That being said, I am experiencing extremely slow connection time (15 min and up) with all three of my iOS devices (iPad Pro, iPad Mini, and iPhone 6) running the latest iOS release (10.2). I just purchased the Wi-Fish so I have not tested on earlier iOS releases. The unit connects quickly with the my iOS devise over wifi, but takes over 15 minutes to establish a connection with the Wi-Fish application after startup. Once the connection is established, the sonar seems to work fine until I try to go into "Simulation" mode in the application setting screen. This crashes the program every time on all three iOS devices. I have a wifi analysis program and have not been able to resolve the issue. The issue appears to be a bug in the application, but I could be wrong.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue? Is the 15 minutes to connect via the application normal and expected? Is there something else I can try?

Note: I have taken the unit to a remote area where I knew no other signal interference would exist and there was no change. I also have rebooted the iOS and the Wi-Fish and no change.

"The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everyone has decided not to see"
--- Ayn Rand, The Fountainhead
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-24-17, 01:05 PM
RE: Wi-Fish Application issues
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum cdfordinflorida,

The reported behavior is not normal and could not be duplicated with our iPad. It is recommended that all background apps running on the mobile device be shut down and that the Wi-Fish app be tested again with your Dragonfly Pro display. Should the problem persist, then it is recommended that the Dragonfly display be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced.
01-24-17, 06:58 PM (This post was last modified: 01-25-17 09:40 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks Chuck for checking it out on your iPad ... I figure this must be a problem on my end. I did as you requested and made sure all my apps were closed out... by double clicking on the home screen and swiping all open apps closed. I then reset both my wifi router and iOS devises to make sure I had a good baseline. I even removed the app and reinstalled from iTunes just to make sure. The Issue still occurs so I likely have a bad head unit. Leave it to me to find the one in a thousand band units. Perhaps that is payback for all my design days when forced to design obsolescence into products. You folks make a great product and I am sure I have an odd case. I am going to remove my three star review from iTunes and rest confident we will get to the root cause. In the mean time, I have asked a friend of mine with android OS to install the app so I can test it on his phone. I will let you know how it goes, but I will make sure he knows how you folks have responded and endeavor to resolve my issue. BTW ... this product is a great idea and it will be great when my issues are resolved.

I updated the review on iTunes to five stars as I am confident I have an isolated failure case ... thanks folks and I look forward to a resolution.

Thanks again for you help in this issue.

"The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everyone has decided not to see"
01-25-17, 09:40 AM
You're welcome.
01-25-17, 12:18 PM (This post was last modified: 01-25-17 01:06 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
I must have been doing something wrong because the issue has disappeared. As an avid kayak fly fisherman ... I cannot tell you how much this product meets my needs. Fish finders were constantly snagging my fly lines while casting and this helps me keep my deck clear. It also simplifies my experience while giving me the down scan features on my iOS devices.

It now works as advertised and kudos to the excellent customer service at Raymarine. Keep designing great products!

01-25-17, 01:06 PM
You're welcome.