Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upgrade RS120
01-26-17, 08:23 PM
Upgrade RS120
I have a L760+ and ST6001+ connected to one of the Seatalk ports on my 400G Course Computer. The other Seatalk port has a RL80c+, ST6002, RS120 and RF base for wireless remote. My RS120 has started loosing fix and taking a long time to regain fix, doing a restart will sometimes help but not reliably.

I am looking at replacing my RS120. I have a friend who replaced his RS120 with a RS130, but when I went to order the RS130 and ST to STng converter I found the RS130 is available but no longer made. I see the RS150 has replaced the RS130.

Will the RS150 work with my vintage electronics without any loss of functionally?

My RS120 is mounted on my radar arch 21' from the nearest Seatalk1. I will use the ST1 to STng converter E22158 to connect to ST1 at my upper helm and a 5m A06036 Backbone cable to reach the bottom of the radar arch. The Backbone cable will be connected to a T-piece A06028 which will attach to the 3m spur cable that comes with the RS150 which will attach to the RS150 E70310 on the arch. I would prefer to use a 5m spur cable to run from the converter to the RS150 but can't find anyone who has it in stock.

I haven't used Seatalk ng before so I want to be sure what I am ordering will work.

My two Seatalk branches are powered at the G400 and each branch has a separate 4 amp fused power feed. Will the ST1 to STng adapter pass power through to the RS150 or will I need to use the power cable that comes with the adapter?

Thanks for your help
Shay Glass
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-27-17, 10:46 AM
RE: Upgrade RS120
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Shay,

Q1) Will the RS150 work with my vintage electronics without any loss of functionally?
A1) The Raystar 150 GPS Sensor is compatible with systems featuring hsb/hsb2/SL Pathfinder Series Displays. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this how to install the GPS sensor and listing any known limitations.

Q2) My RS120 is mounted on my radar arch 21' from the nearest Seatalk1. I will use the ST1 to STng converter E22158 to connect to ST1 at my upper helm and a 5m A06036 Backbone cable to reach the bottom of the radar arch. The Backbone cable will be connected to a T-piece A06028 which will attach to the 3m spur cable that comes with the RS150 which will attach to the RS150 E70310 on the arch. I would prefer to use a 5m spur cable to run from the converter to the RS150 but can't find anyone who has it in stock.
A2) The longest length permitted for a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 spur is 6m. Accordingly, an A06072 6m Spur Cable may be purchased/ordered for the Raystar 150 GPS Sensor should this length be more suitable for one's installation needs. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing where/how one may purchase/order Raymarine products.

Q3) My two Seatalk branches are powered at the G400 and each branch has a separate 4 amp fused power feed. Will the ST1 to STng adapter pass power through to the RS150 or will I need to use the power cable that comes with the adapter?
A3) As specified within the FAQ referenced above, the SeaTalk bus should be disconnected from its present power source. Power should be supplied to the SeaTalkng backbone via a single SeaTalkng Power Cable (supplied SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit). The SeaTalkng Power Cable will be installed in a spur socket located at the approximate midpoint of the backbone's LEN load. As identified within the FAQ found here, each SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter can support a SeaTalk bus of up to five devices having a SeaTalk communications interface. The SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converters may be joined to one another via an appropriate length of SeaTalkng backbone Cable.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply