Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SeaTalk 1 system upgrade
02-02-17, 12:40 PM
Star SeaTalk 1 system upgrade
I'm upgrading an existing ST1 system with a new HD Color Open Array Radar and e165 MFD. The current R40XX Radar, RayNav398, and RayChart600xx will be replaced.

I am keeping the RayData (temp, depth, water speed), Type 100 Autopilot, RayPilot 650 controller, and associated sensors. Will this converter setup work properly ? Questions are:

1. does this count as 3 or 8 ST1 devices on the converter to STng ??
2. will the autopilot follow routes and waypoints from the e165?
3. will the e165 show depth and temp from the RayData ?

Thanks!

L

Attached File(s)
.pdf  SeaRay e165 upgrade map.pdf (Size: 104.73 KB / Downloads: 356)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-02-17, 02:17 PM
RE: SeaTalk 1 system upgrade
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum LimaBravo,

It is not recommended that a SeaTalk bus which includes a Type 100 autopilot course computer be interfaced to a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. Instead, the NMEA 0183 output of the MFD may be interfaced to the autopilot course computer to supply it with navigational data to support it's Track feature.

Accordingly, it would be recommended that the SeaTalk bus be divided into two busses, one containing the autopilot components and the other containing the RayData and GPS Sensor. The unpowered SeaTalk bus containing the RayData and GPS Sensor may then be interfaced to a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter which in turn will be interfaced to the MFD to support supplying the MFD with depth, speed, water temperature, and GPS data.
02-02-17, 02:58 PM
Thanks Chuck!! After reading everything here, I "almost" didn't have to post but I was confused on the Type100 being on the STng bus.

Anyway, last questions:

1. should I use BOTH the in/out on the 0183 from the e165? In other words would I gain any benefit from AutoPilot computer TO the e165? (rudder data or turn or heading data?)

2. will the e165 can also control the autopilot? I saw a few of your write ups, but could not discern a conclusion. (updated diagram to show 0183 Type 100 interface)

3. would I need a STng power cable now for the converter to the RayData and GPS antenna? (added to diagram) Or does the STng bus off the e165 have power ?

Thank you Sir !! Another huge reason I stick with Raymarine!!!

LB

Attached File(s)
.pdf  SeaRay e165 upgrade map V2.pdf (Size: 101.19 KB / Downloads: 455)
02-02-17, 05:03 PM
LimaBavo,

Q1. should I use BOTH the in/out on the 0183 from the e165? In other words would I gain any benefit from AutoPilot computer TO the e165? (rudder data or turn or heading data?)
A1. The NMEA 0183 output of the Smart Heading Sensor may be interfaced to one of the MFD's two NMEA 0183 input ports to supply the MFD with 10Hz stabilized heading data in support of the features found here.

A2. will the e165 can also control the autopilot? I saw a few of your write ups, but could not discern a conclusion. (updated diagram to show 0183 Type 100 interface)
A2. No. The MFD's Autopilot Control feature is not supported with autopilots which have been interfaced to the MFD via NMEA 0183 communications protocol.

Q3. would I need a STng power cable now for the converter to the RayData and GPS antenna? (added to diagram) Or does the STng bus off the e165 have power ?
A3. Yes.