Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
x30 and ST6002
02-08-17, 01:40 PM
x30 and ST6002
I have a X30 Smart pilot with a ST6002 controller. When I scroll thru the data screens the breaking to waypoint is at least 100 degrees off. The correct waypoint name is displayed and the distance to waypoint is correct. They are commented to a Garmin system and all other aspects work great.

It is only a problem when I try to enter the Track function because then the boat wants to take a 100 degree plus turn heading away from the waypoint.

I have recalabrated the unit and been thru the auto learn and everything else is good. What could cause this one thing to be so far off?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-08-17, 01:56 PM
RE: x30 and ST6002
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Ted,

With vessel underway and the autopilot in Auto (not Track) mode, please specify the difference in the value reported by the autopilot for Heading and the value reported by the third party chartplotter for COG.
02-08-17, 06:14 PM (This post was last modified: 02-09-17 10:52 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks Chuck.

In the auto mode, not track mode, the heading on the autopilot and the heading on the chartplotter are the same. The autopilot agrees with the name of the waypoint and the distance to the waypoint. Even when not in track mode but just going thru the data pages on the ST6002, the BTW is off by 100+ degrees. Today I was on a course with the chart plotter reading 288 BTW and the autopilot heading 288 but the autopilot BTW read 189.

I am stumped.

Ted
02-09-17, 10:57 AM
Ted,

I am seeking information concerning comparison of the Heading on the autopilot and COG on the chartplotting product ... not Heading on the chartplotting product ... again the vessel must be underway with the autopilot in Auto mode when making this comparison. Is there a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter installed within the system? If so, what version of software is installed within it? What version of software is installed within the X30? How has the third party chartplotter been interfaced to the system? And finally, did this system perform properly in the past or are the reported symptoms a recent development?
02-10-17, 10:43 AM (This post was last modified: 02-13-17 11:08 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck,
The example I sited heading in AUTO mode 288, COG on chart plotter varied between 286 -290, BTW on ST6002 189.

I have not found a converter. I can tell you that all of the cables to the X30 terminate at the Sea Talk terminal.

I have a mixed system. The chart plotters are Garmin but wind, depth, and speed instruments along with auto pilot are Raymarine.

The controller software is version 5.00 and X30 is 300.

I cannot find a converter anywhere, just a E85001 interface. All of the cables that connect to the X30 are on the Sea Talk terminal. The lower one,
there is no Sea Talk plug. I have 2 Garmin Chartplotter units but the wind, speed, depth and auto pilot are Raymarine. All of the information across all units matches except for the BTW when displayed on the ST6002.

The track mode has never worked well. It always makes a huge turn on way or the other even if the boat is right on course to the next waypoint. I just started checking the data pages on the ST6002 and found this problem.
Ted
02-13-17, 11:33 AM
Ted,

Based upon your response to the difference between the Heading and COG data items, it does not appear that there is any issue with the heading performance fo the autopilot. Per our phone conversation, it is recommended that
- you verify that only NMEA 0183 IN terminals of the E85001 PC/SeaTalk/NMEA 0183 communications interface have been interfaced to the the third party chartplotter. While it is possible to for the chartplotter to also receive data from the Raymarine system, a programmable NMEA 0183 Multiplexer would need to be installed between the NMEA 0183 OUT terminals of the E85001 the third party chartplotter's NMEA 0183 input port to prevent a data loop. Should you be uncertain about whether a programmable NMEA 0183 Multiplexer has been installed, has been properly programmed along with NMEA 0183 output settings within the Chartplotter to not loop data between the two systems. Should you be uncertain about the NMEA 0183 Multiplexer, then may want to consider disconnecting any leads connecting the third party chartplotter to the NMEA 0183 OUT terminals of the the E85001 PC/SeaTalk/NMEA 0183 communications interface.
- when commanding a chartplotter to follow a route, that you ensure that the navigation begin commanded by the chartplotter is specifying
----- navigation to the desired waypoint of the route which you are seeking to travel to first, and
----- the route is in the correct order (i.e. the route is not being navigated in reverse order)
- - the autopilot's Response Level adjusted to steer a tighter course ... increasing the number will cause the autopilot to steer a tighter course ... thereby reducing the magnitude of any S-ing. The data item XTE (Cross Track Error) is the indicator of how far the vessel is located from the course line at any time.
- the x30's software be updated to v3.05