Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ray70 remote mic and cable
02-16-17, 04:56 PM (This post was last modified: 02-22-17 02:40 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Ray70 remote mic and cable
I installed a ray70 vhf a few months back - all good with vhf and AIS

I ordered and received the remote mic kit with 10m extension cable - I installed that yesterday - one concern- the extension connector to the ray70 - the pins didn't look like they were lining up. After multiple tries to make the connection I slightly bent 2-3 on the pins on the extension cable and made a good connection - (I do have pics of the cable end and ray70 connector)

Today I connected the remote mic to the extension cable (extension cable is not mounted to bulkhead yet so mic connection is just to the cable end connector - seemed like a strong connection.

I powered up the ray 70 - good vhf

I powered on the remote mic and nothing at first (no power indicated). After several presses on the "on" button on the remote mic, the screen darkened and displayed a couple horizontal lines and then went blank.

Remote mic with 10m extension cable is connected to ray70

Remote mic on power-up shows red led back light but nothing on the mic display

Ray70 maintenance check shows handset is not recognized

Ray70 maintenance shows version v1.24 manual states handset must be either VH1.01 or VH1.04

How can I check the handset version software and how then can I install correct software to the handset

Can you help with diagnosis
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-17-17, 04:43 PM
RE: Ray70 remote mic and cable
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Tom,

While it is possible that there may be some damage to the cable, the following is recommended:
- verify that the VHF Radio has been updated with v1.35 software and that the RayMic has been updated with VH1.06 software. The software versions for these devices may accessed via the maintenance menu (MENU->SET-UP->MAINTENANCE) of the RayMic and Ray70. The software updates for these products may be found [url=http://www.raymarine.com/view/?id=13240]here/url].
- should the problem persist after verifying/updating the software of the VHF radio and RayMic, then it is recommended that the Ray70 be switched OFF, that the extension be unplugged from the back side of the VHF radio, that the RayMic be plugged directly into the socket that the extension had been plugged into, and that the VHF radio then be tested again to determine whether the problem persists when the RayMic is connected directly to the Ray70.
02-17-17, 06:29 PM (This post was last modified: 02-21-17 01:59 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Ok, I have been reading about the software - my ray70 shows v1.24. The ray70 is not recognizing the presence of the handset so I don't know that version - because the handset shows a red LED on the controls and the screen is light, I think it is a software compatibility issue.

I have a MacBook Pro and tried to download both the bootload file (V1.35) and the application file (VH1.06)

I managed to get the download "open box" looking icon onto my desktop but could not double click to open them - I dropped the boot load box into a msd card and left the application "box" icon on the Mac .

My e7 has 2 msd cards inserted - I removed both upper and lower msd cards and inserted the new msd with the Bootload box icon - the e7 said there was no new data

Should I have left one of the msd cards in the e7 instead of taking both out?

Did I download incorrectly?

I did download the two files: application file and bootload file - I downloaded both into Dropbox and dragged each to my MacBook Pro desktop. I dragged the bootload one to a msd and left the application one on the desktop

At the boat - I powered up the e7 and ray70 (I turned off the p70/autopilot). The e7 has 2 msd slots - top one is Navonics, lower slot is "my data"

I removed the "my data" lower msd card and inserted the newly loaded msd with the bootload file. Set-up / Maintenance / Check card for updates

Screen showed window pop-up saying checking for updates with the spinning bar for about a second, screen showed only the e7 lighthouse logo and then defaulted to a navigation/gps page screen.

Repeated several times with using just the boot msd and removing both the navonics and my data card - each way I tried I got the same screens.

Suggestions?

Thanks
02-21-17, 02:39 PM
Tom,

It sounds as though you have properly populated the microSD memory card with the ray_Radios_v215bootcode_20160802.upgrade.iso file. However, it is recommended that SeaTalkng backbone's be reduced to the MFD and the VHF radio when performing the update. Powering the other SeaTalkng devices OFF is generally not sufficient ... it is instead recommended that the spur cables connecting the other devices to the backbone be unplugged from the T-Pieces, 5-Way Connectors, In-line Terminators, or iTC-5 until the update has been completed. The bootloader update for the VHF radios installs very quickly. After doing so, it is recommended that the bootloader be installed again ... the update should be very fast and return to the Limitations of Use screen of LightHouse splash screen when completed. Power the MFD OFF, remove the microSD memory card containing the software update file from the MFD, replace the ray_Radios_v215bootcode_20160802.upgrade.iso file within the root level directory of the microSD memory card with the ray_Radios_v135App_v106Handset_20160802.upgrade.iso file, power the MFD ON, follow the VHF radios software update instructions for placing the second station handset into Programming Mode, and then complete following the instructions for performing the software update found here.
02-22-17, 04:08 PM (This post was last modified: 02-22-17 04:53 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thank you Chuck for the info.

I returned the handset to RM for a look as it was completely not responding. When it returns I will unplug my limited network components if the mic is not recognized.
02-22-17, 05:04 PM
Tom,

You're welcome and thanks for the update. I'm certain that the Repair Center will be able to thoroughly test the RayMic and update its software before returning it to you.