Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is this a transducer, or display head (ST60 Tri-Data) problem?
02-17-17, 11:47 PM
Is this a transducer, or display head (ST60 Tri-Data) problem?
Have a Raymarine ST60 Tri-data (depth, speed thru water, temperature), and a ST60+ wind, that get data to a NMEA2000 network via a Seatalk1 to Seatalkng converter. The depth is then repeated on my Zeus2, which is also on the network. Previously this all worked fine, and I could see the depth as well as all of the other ST60 data on the Zeus display.

Boat has been idle for a couple of months. Couple of weeks ago, went out for a sail, and when I removed the cover for the ST60 tri-data, noticed the screen has a dark area in the middle. Instrument seemed to be working fine though, and the depth was being repeated by the Zeus display (so not a big deal). We sailed for a while, and I noticed the ST60 display was occasionally losing the depth. When it does this, it flashes at the last depth recorded, until it reacquires depth. It’s done this when sailing offshore, and depth was over 400-600 ft - it's generally just losing the return signal. But here, water was only about 50 ft, so shouldn't be doing that. (It also did this, in 15 ft of water.) When that happens, the Zeus2 displays something like 140 million - which is obviously just a default for no depth.

At one point, when the ST60 had flashing depth, I turned off the instruments and turned them back on again. Thought maybe something would reset. When I did that, the ST60 came back with up with multiple bars for depth, and the Zeus2 just showed the same bars. Eventually the ST60 started displaying depth, and the Zeus2 repeated same.

Of course, now that I am back at the dock, the depth is working fine.

Raymarine doesn't make ST60 or ST60+ anymore, but the i50 is reportedly backwards compatible to Seatalk1 (as well as outputs Seatalkng). The issue is that I don't know if I have a transducer problem, or just a display problem. West Marine rep - who maybe knows his stuff - says that if transducer is working, and display not, the depth should still get onto the NEMA2000 network to be seen by Zeus. Another rep said different, that the ST60 display basically converted the signal to depth – so it could be the display problem.

I have not jumped into the water to check for barnacles on the transducer face, as I just cleaned the hull a couple of months ago, and the water is still pretty cool. (Rest just shows a thin layer of slime, that has never been issue before.)

So, anyone here have experience with this? Thoughts on whether the display is failing, or the transducer.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-21-17, 04:04 PM
RE: Is this a transducer, or display head (ST60 Tri-Data) problem?
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum sailjumanji,

As you have suggested the depth instrument may continue to function when its LCD is exhibiting signs of failure. Typically instrument depth instruments will support repeating depth when operating in depths ranging from 3' to 200' below the transducer. Accordingly, when operating in the offshore depths specified, loss of bottom would not be unexpected. However, as you have pointed out, the problem should abate when the vessel is operating in shallower waters. It is recommended that troubleshooting begin with inspection of the transducer's cable to ensure that it is undamaged, that the wire connections to the 1/8" female blade connectors are in good condition, and that the instruments 1/8" male blade pins are free of corrosion. If so, then troubleshooting the problem would involve testing the instrument with another transducer which was known to be operational. The test transducer would either be suspended over the side of the placed atop a Zipper Locking plastic bag which has been completely filled with water and placed inside on the bottom of the hull (hull must be constructed of solid fiberglass (i.e. core materials not used). After duplicating the problem, then the test transducer would be connected to the instrument. Should the problem abate, then the transducers would need to be replace. Should the problem persist, then the instrument should be replaced with an i50 Depth or i50 Tridata Instrument.
02-22-17, 07:35 PM (This post was last modified: 02-23-17 01:00 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Ok, I have a follow-up question specific to this. If the transducer is working, but the LCD/display unit not working, would the depth data still be transferred thru the Seatalk to Seatalkng converter and onto the NMEA2000 network (and therefore be displayed on my Zeus2 chartplotter)?

Or does the LCD/display serve some kind of conversion function to get the transducer data into a depth number?

If I knew this for sure, it would tell me whether its a transducer or display issue, correct?
02-23-17, 01:08 PM
sailjumanji,

The function of the instrument's LCD is only to provide a user interface to view data from and configure the instrument. It is the function of the processor board within the instrument to process signal from the transducer to determine depth and then transmit the depth value via the instrument's SeaTalk communications interface. Accordingly, it is possible for the instrument's LCD to suffer a failure, yet have the instrument report Depth data to the SeaTalk bus. Failure of the instrument to report Depth data to the SeaTalk bus would be linked to a failure of the transducer, the transducer's physical connections to the instrument, a failure of the circuitry within the instrument's processor board, or a failure within SeaTalk to NMEA 2000 networking path between the instrument and the NMEA 2000 device which is repeating depth from the Raymarine instrument.
02-24-17, 11:01 AM
Ok, now I fully understand - it could be either the transducer, or a connection, or the processor board within the display unit. Since I don't have a spare transducer sitting around to test, I will just order an i50 tri-data with transducers and start replacing parts. Hopefully it will work with just a new display, otherwise the boat will have to be pulled out of the water to replace transducer.

Thanks again
02-24-17, 11:15 AM
You're welcome.