Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
e97 Heading and Distance to waypoint
02-11-17, 06:29 AM
e97 Heading and Distance to waypoint
Sorry if this is too simple of a question but the user manual does not make if very clear. How to I display the heading and distance to a waypoint on the chart?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-13-17, 04:59 PM (This post was last modified: 02-13-17 05:00 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: e97 Heading and Distance to waypoint
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Semnet,

Such information may be displayed within the Databar, Databoxes, or Data application's data panels of Raymarine's a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFDs. Please see section 5.6 Databar and databox overview of the LightHouse II MFDs Release 17 Operations Guide for detailed instructions concerning how to display and configure Databoxes with the data items you are seeking to view. If seeking to display the specified navigational data, then it is recommended that the Databar or a Databox be customized/edited to display the Waypoint Information data item found within the Navigation data category.
03-06-17, 06:32 AM (This post was last modified: 03-06-17 08:47 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thank you for all the help and information Chuck. So as I look through the user manual, I cannot find a place where it defines what data is available on the e97 and I see some terms like COG (course over ground) SOG (speed over ground). The boat has two e97 MFDs. One is used for Navigating and one is used for Fishfinding. We have no radar or FLIR or no integration into the engines. Just stand alone units. Is there a simple definition where Bearing and Heading. Is it in the drop down menu with the Navigation data?
Sorry for the basic questions.

SEMNET
03-06-17, 08:58 AM
SEMNET,

Per my last response, it is recommended that the Waypoint Information data item found within the Navigation data category be displayed within the Databar or within a Databox. The Waypoint Information Data item includes the follow data:
- Name of the waypoint being navigated to
- Time to Go (TTG) to the waypoint being navigated to
- Range to the waypoint being navigated to
- Bearing to the waypoint being navigated to.

The list of data items supported by the MFD will be dependent upon the devices which the MFD will be interfaced to and the actions which have been commanded (ex. GoTo Waypoint, etc.). This list would minimally include GPS data (lat, lon, SOG, COG) and navigational data as the MFD is equipped with an internal GPS sensor. Should the Databar or a Databox be configured to display a data item and the reported value be -.-, then the MFD would either not be interface to a device designed to provide such data or the MFD was not being operated in an manner which would produce the data item being display (ex. no COG will be generated if the boat is stationary).
03-06-17, 12:27 PM (This post was last modified: 03-06-17 01:49 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks Chuck - I think I got it. Going to the boat today to try out the MDF data bar and data box.
03-10-17, 02:37 PM
Hello again. The Data for Heading and Distance to Waypoint was exactly where you said it would be. Thanks again.

A new piece of data that I am looking for this the boat heading. The e97 is stand alone, not integrated with any other sensor system. Does the GPS algorithms calculate the boat head based on movement and GPS positions? If so, where in the data files might I find this? For example is it under COG? I keep trying different data information that are labeled HEADING and get blanks on the Data bars or Data boxes
03-10-17, 05:27 PM
SEMNET,

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. With the exception of the COG data item, one may easily determine whether the marine electronics system has been interfaced to a source of the corresponding data by configuring the Databar, Databox, or Data application's panel to display the data item. Should the data item be populated, then the marine electronics system would be deemed to be interfaced to a source of that specific type of data. Similarly, should the data item not be populated (i.e. not have the value -.-, or --- reported), then the marine electronics system would be deemed to not be interfaced to a source of that specific type of data. As indicated by the referenced FAQ, COG is produced by a system's GPS sensor. Accordingly, you will find the COG data item grouped within the GPS data group. As also indicated within the referenced FAQ, should the vessel be stationary, then the vessel will have no COG and its value will accordingly be reported as -.-, or ---. Once underway and making way, the COG data item will be populated.