RS125 GPS
S3G SmartPilot
SmartController
ST60 Speed, Depth, Wind
ST6001+
E55059 MUX
ICOM m422 VHF with DSC
FloScan 9500 with GPS interface

I have purchased a Vesper Marine XB-8000 to add and am replacing the E55059 MUX with the Ship Modul MiniPlex-3USB-N2K MUX. XB-8000 has WiFi, so I'd like to find a way to turn off my MFD to conserve power and run everything through WiFi to a software app if possible.

I would also like to replace the RS125 GPS with the one supplied in the XB-8000.

I've attached what I think might be the correct configuration using the ST1 port on the MiniPlex so all data is transmitted via WiFi.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-10-17, 10:49 AM (This post was last modified: 03-10-17 10:54 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: Adding Vesper Marine AIS to exiting network
Bruce,

Your diagram appears to be correct in all but one area. I don't believe that you will want or need the 38400 BAUD output of the third party MUX to be interfaced to the 38400 BAUD input of the third party AIS transceiver. Care will also have to be taken to ensure that the third party MUX does not re-transmit data received from SeaTalk to its 38400 BAUD NMEA 0183 output port.
03-10-17, 05:46 PM (This post was last modified: 03-11-17 10:17 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
The AIS requires fast heading data from the S3G. Is there another way to get that data to the AIS? The AIS can also filter it's own data so it doesn't loop the data. Plus that AIS input can be set to 4800 if that makes a difference.

With regard to the ST1 and MUX, are you saying it would be prudent to not have the MUX transmit ST1 data via the 38400 output because it would cause a loop at the MFD, which would be undesirable? I was hoping to get the ST1 data to the AIS so it could be sent via WiFi to my computer.

If this is the case, could this be all fixed by having the AIS receive data via 4800 vs. 38400? I could then prevent the ST1 data from going to the 38400 out of the MUX to the MFD. Again, provided this is your reasoning for not wanting ST1 being transmitted via the MUX 38400 out port.

Thanks!
03-11-17, 10:35 AM (This post was last modified: 03-11-17 10:37 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Bruce,

I doubt that the XB-8000 requires heading data, as it is a Class B AIS transceiver and unlike Class A AIS transceivers, heading data is not among the data items which are broadcast to other vessels. However, the XB-8000's product description also indicates that it is a NMEA 0183 - Wi-Fi / USB communications device capable of communicating not only AIS data, but a number of additional data items, so it is understandable why you may want to interface SeaTalk & NMEA 0183 data sources to the Ship Modul MiniPlex-3USB-N2K MUX and then transmit this data to the XB-8000. It is simply recommended that what ever procedural steps are required to restrict NMEA 0183 transmissions between the MUX and MFD to NMEA 0183 sentences containing heading, rudder angle, and AIS data. Similarly, what ever procedural steps are required to restrict the MUX from transmitting anything other than GPS data (I gather that the new source will be the XB-8000) to the SeaTalk bus. The goal simply is to ensure that data is not looped within the system. Unfortunately, I cannot provide any guidance concerning the details of configuring of third party products.
03-11-17, 10:59 AM (This post was last modified: 03-11-17 11:10 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck,

I understand regarding 3rd-party products. You have been most helpful in this process. Much appreciated!! I believe I have all the information I need to get started on this project. Thank you so much!
03-11-17, 11:11 AM
You're welcome.