Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
vhf connection
03-17-17, 12:35 PM
vhf connection
Hello again, as I continue to increase the size of my system, the various network connections become interesting. The system is simple to understand but what is missing and your help is appreciated is in the hardware.
I have the supplied seatalk backbone and have plugged into the 3 white connectors the radar data, the external GPS antenna and out to the MFD. All three now used and works. What is left is the vhf 60. The connection cable I have left has white ends. what do I need to hook this up to the mfd? My c127 only has one seatalk connection and is used. I did the 0183 and so far no success but will go back again and look at the wire connections, what does the seatalk get me here? Is it a replacement for the 0183?
By the way, I do have one network slot available in the back of the mfd.

Compared to other resources, your help has been quite valuable.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-21-17, 12:13 PM
RE: vhf connection
Welcome to the Sallysea,

Within the marine electronics industry, NMEA 0183 communications is being replaced by the newer and more capable NMEA 2000 communications protocol. Generally speaking, SeaTalkng communications protocol is simply an extension of NMEA 2000. Unlike earlier Raymarine VHF radio designs, Raymarine's currently manufactured VHF radio designs now rely upon a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications interface rather than a NMEA 0183 communications interface to communicate with the latest generations of marine electronics. In the case of your system, you will need to add an additional SeaTalkng spur socket to the SeaTalkng backbone to permit the Ray60 to be interfaced as a spur to the SeaTalkng backbone.
04-07-17, 06:02 PM (This post was last modified: 04-09-17 06:58 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thank you again, I got the parts and it is all hooked up. I was uncertain if I needed both the 0183 and the Seatalk but now understand that the Seatalk will suffice. If the weather here in the Northwest ever improves, I will get to check it out.
04-09-17, 06:58 AM
You're welcome.