Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Axiom Transducer Selection
03-18-17, 07:08 PM
Axiom Transducer Selection
Hello,

I am due to upgrade the electronics on my aging boat and the Axiom MFDs have captured my attention but I am a bit worried about transducer placement. I never had any luck with transom mounted transducers but my current 20 deg. B60 through hull located in the engine compartment has performed reasonably well with a Raymarine DS500X sounder. It looks like the RV-220 dual transducer pack would be appropriate for my use but I have a couple of questions/concerns.

1. Could I interface my existing B60 transducer for the DS500X with the Axiom MFD for traditional conical sonar?

2. If the existing B60 is to removed, would the starboard side RV-220 fit in the existing [censored] without extensive fiberglass work (i. e. is the diameter the same or larger than the B60)?

3. Could I get away with installing the RV-220s in my I/O engine compartment or would heat be too much of a problem.

Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-21-17, 02:41 PM (This post was last modified: 03-21-17 02:41 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: Axiom Transducer Selection
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum JPA,

Q1. Could I interface my existing B60 transducer for the DS500X with the Axiom MFD for traditional conical sonar?
A1. Yes. Raymarine offers the A80491 Axiom RV to 25-pin RV & 7-pin Embedded Transducers Y-Cable ... for Axiom RV MFD's which will be interfaced to a RealVision 3Dâ„¢ transducer(s) and will additionally be interfaced to a transducer which was designed for the ax7/cx7/e7D/ex6/eSx7 MFD, Ax5 A-Series Classic MFDs, DS400X/500X/600X compatible transducer

Q2. If the existing B60 is to removed, would the starboard side RV-220 fit in the existing [censored] without extensive fiberglass work (i. e. is the diameter the same or larger than the B60)?
A2. The pre-production version of the RV-220 appears to be approximately 0.36" larger than the 2" cutout required for the B60. You may want to try epoxying the B60 (P79 or P74) inside of the hull forward of the RV-220 should the hull be constructed of solid fiberglass and be less than 1" thick to permit reporting depth when operating at planing speeds.

Q3. Could I get away with installing the RV-220s in my I/O engine compartment or would heat be too much of a problem.
A3. It is not possible to do as you have suggested. The RV-220 transducers must be direct contact with the water outside of the hull in order to function properly.
03-21-17, 03:50 PM (This post was last modified: 03-22-17 08:57 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks for the response. It continues to look like the New Axioms might be a good upgrade for me.

With regard to my previous question #3, I would be planning to install the RV-220s in through-hull cutouts. My preferred location for the cutouts would be in the engine compartment since that would provide the easiest access for installation. Thus far, I have not had chirp transducers but I am under the impression that some chirp units generate a fair amount of heat and do not preform well when subjected to the higher ambient heat levels in the engine compartment. Would engine compartment heat be likely to cause problems with the RV-220s if they were thru-hull mounted in the engine compartment?
03-22-17, 09:01 AM
JPA,

Q. Would engine compartment heat be likely to cause problems with the RV-220s if they were thru-hull mounted in the engine compartment?
A. No. As thru-hulls are designed to be installed in the aft 1/3 of the hull, these transducers are designed to withstand the heat which may be present within an engine space.
03-22-17, 12:31 PM (This post was last modified: 03-22-17 01:53 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
This thread is also of interest to me......
I have a one inch diameter through hull water pick-up that I could remove for placement of an RV-220 transducer. You are stating that the RV-220 needs about a 2 3/8 [censored] for mounting. Are these transducers available now and has this [censored] size changed?

Will these transducers show bottom at planning speeds? I am a bit confused by your earlier suggestion for the OP to retain the B60. I have 2 Raymarine displays mounted side by side. An older A50d with a traditional transom transducer and an A78 with a chirp/downvision transom transducer. The A78 doesn't show bottom nearly as well when planning. Is this a characteristic of chirp sonars??
03-22-17, 02:30 PM (This post was last modified: 03-23-17 08:33 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum a7ewizard,

NOTE: the information specified within this response is the best available at this time and may be subject to change based upon testing, manufacturing, and the needs of the business.

Bronze thru-hull RealVision 3Dâ„¢ transducer(s) have not yet been released and are currently anticipated to be released in late May '17. Final dimensional spec's for the transducer have not yet been released. I would not expect that the transducer's shaft diameter will change from that measured on the mock-up and reported within my initial post. However, it is strongly recommended that no holes be cut within a hull to accommodate these transducers until final dimensional data is released.

RealVision 3Dâ„¢ transducers are designed to produce sonar imaging when operating at trolling speeds. Should bottom tracking/depth reporting be required at higher speeds, then it is recommended that the vessel also be equipped with a transducer designed for MFDs having 600W 50kHz / 200kHz internal sonar circuity or a 50kHz / 200kHz transducer designed for use with a CP370/CP300/DSM30/DSM300/DSM250. As indicated within my initial response to JPA, Raymarine offers Y-Cables for AXIOM MFDs to be simultaneously be interfaced to a RealVision 3Dâ„¢ transducer and a compatible 50kHz / 200kHz transducer.
03-22-17, 06:40 PM (This post was last modified: 03-23-17 08:13 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Are the RV-320 transducers available? and what is their [censored] requirement?

Chuck, do I understand the Axiom RV functionality properly? This MFD can simultaneous run a 3D transducer and a P66 transducer and display both in a split window display?

Thanks..
03-23-17, 08:39 AM (This post was last modified: 03-23-17 08:41 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
a7ewizard,

Q1. Are the RV-320 transducers available? and what is their [censored] requirement?
A1. When the AXIOM RV MFDs are released, the only transducer option initially available will be the transom mounted RealVision 3Dâ„¢ transducer. As indicated within my prior response, bronze thru-hull RealVision 3Dâ„¢ transducer(s) have not yet been released and are currently anticipated to be released in late May '17. Plastic thru-hull RealVision 3Dâ„¢ transducer(s) have also not yet been released and are currently anticipated to be released in late June '17. Raymarine has not yet released dimensional data for the bronze and plastic thru-hull RealVision 3Dâ„¢ transducers. However, it is expected that these transducers will be identical with respect to their dimensions (see my prior response for the transducer's shaft size).

As indicated within my prior responses concerning AXIOM and other products which have not yet been released, the information specified within this response is the best available at this time and may be subject to change based upon testing, manufacturing, and the needs of the business.

Q2. Do I understand the Axiom RV functionality properly? This MFD can simultaneous run a 3D transducer and a P66 transducer and display both in a split window display?
A2. Yes.
03-26-17, 07:52 PM (This post was last modified: 03-27-17 08:20 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
How? I have looked at A78, Lighthouse 2 manuals and can't find out how this is done. The Axiom information (available on this site) is vague. Everything I've seen states one sonar module to one transducer, except for the RV through hull transducers connected by a Y cable.

Assume I purchase the Axiom 9 RV with a transom mount 3D transducer. How do I also connect a traditional 60/200 transducer to it?
03-27-17, 08:25 AM (This post was last modified: 03-27-17 08:28 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
a7ewizard,

Q. Assume I purchase the Axiom 9 RV with a transom mount 3D transducer. How do I also connect a traditional 60/200 transducer to it?
A. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. Specifically, an A80491 Axiom RV to 25-pin RV & 7-pin Embedded Transducers Y-Cable would be used to interface an Axiom RV MFD to both a RealVision 3Dâ„¢ transducer and to an ax7/cx7/e7D/ex6/eSx7 MFD compatible transducer.