Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
temperature transducer
03-19-17, 07:42 PM
temperature transducer
Will the HT200 probe and the I70 instrument work with a E 140W MSD with seatalk? Lost temp function on my main transducer. Any suggestions or potential extra connections I may need? Thank you. John
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-21-17, 03:10 PM (This post was last modified: 03-27-17 07:53 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: temperature transducer
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum John,

The HT200 is a third party NMEA 2000 temperature sensor. When the HT200, the MFD, and the i70 are each interfaced as spurs to a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng backbone, then the MFD and the i70 would each be able to repeat temperature data from the HT200 as long as the system did not feature any other sea temperature transducers. The i70 is not designed to support temperature calibration or alarms associated with third party temperature sensors.
03-26-17, 08:06 PM
Thanks for your reply. Not great at the technical aspects of seatalk but the boat was rigged by YF (2010) with all Raymarine electronics including radar, sonar and auto pilot. Since the current transducer is still reading incorrect seawater temperature, can that be turned off so the MFD could read the temperature only sensor. Read in saltwater magazine about the I70 can be set up to just to display and graph temperture. I don't think the MFD that i have can do that. Not sure I understand what I need to have a properly terminated SeaTalkng backbone, so this can work. RM doesn't have a temp sensor only do they? Thanks for you help
03-27-17, 08:19 AM
John,

Should you click on the link within my prior response, you will find that it will display the SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 networking page including a diagram of a somewhat large SeaTalkng backbone. The SeaTalkng Reference Manual may be downloaded here. Within this manual you will find complete information concerning how a SeaTalkng backbone is constructed. Should you need onboard technical assistance, then you may want to consider contacting a Certified Raymarine Installer in your area.

Regarding use of the HT200 to address a failed thermistor within a fishfinder transducer within a system featuring E-Series Widescreen MFDs, it should be noted that unlike the MFD designs which followed the E-Series Widescreen MFDs, your MFD and the MFD designs which preceded it did not feature support for more than one source of any type of data within the system (ex. GPS, depth, temperature, wind, etc.). Accordingly, the MFD will report temperature from the fishfinder. Should the MFD (and any other SeaTalkng device not supporting Multiple Data Sources) be temporarily disconnected from the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone and the Data Source Selection feature then be used on the i70 MFID to select the HT200 as its sea temperature data source, then the MFD may afterwards be interfaced to the SeaTalkng backbone and then the i70 MFID will report sea temperature sensed by the HT200.
03-28-17, 08:29 PM
Thank you. Spent a lot of time reaching this but still not sure. The seatalk hs unit I have remains and that would connect to the 5 way ST connector (with a cable with ethernet connect)? The i70 connects to the 5 way connector. the E wide MFD connects to i70. The radar VCM100, sonar 370 and autopilot spx30 all connect to the 5 way by a backbone with T pieces?

Where would the HT200 connect? Thank you for your help. Would like to do this myself.
03-29-17, 03:39 PM
John,

The SeaTalkng backbone (includes the SeaTalkng 5-Way Connector and SeaTalkng T-Pieces which you spoke of) includes several spur sockets (white) to which your i70, SPX30, autopilot control head (model not specified) should have each been connected via an appropriate length of SeaTalkng Spur Cable (white w/black stripe). Your backbone must have an empty spur socket (white) to which the HT200 will connect. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing how additional spur sockets may be added to the SeaTalkng backbone.

It is recommended that Airmar, Inc. ((603) 673-9570) be contacted to determine the gender (M/F) of the HT200's DeviceNet plug. Depending upon gender of the HT200's plug, an A06075 39.4in (1.0m) DeviceNet Female to SeaTalkng Spur Adapter or an A06076 39.4in (1.0m) DeviceNet Male to SeaTalkng Spur Adapter would be used to connect the HT200 as a spur to the backbone.
03-30-17, 03:30 PM
I assumed my E140 wide was only SThs and it does connect to the SThs unit. There is also STng with black and white cable connected to a 5 way connect (got to the boat today). The ST70 and Smart pilot x 30 are also connected to the 5 way which has 2 empty blue connectors. So i need to create a backbone with another 5 way to connect the i70 and HT200.

What do I do with the SThs unit which is connected to the MFD, CP370 and the radar? Nothing? Do I disconnect it from the MFD since I am added the i70 and connect it to the i70 instead, and leave the other connections alone? I assume I leave the current power connections alone as well.
03-31-17, 07:59 AM (This post was last modified: 03-31-17 08:01 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
John,

Q. What do I do with the SThs unit which is connected to the MFD, CP370 and the radar? Nothing? Do I disconnect it from the MFD since I am added the i70 and connect it to the i70 instead, and leave the other connections alone? I assume I leave the current power connections alone as well.
A. The E-Series Widescreen MFDs feature four communications interfaces (Ethernet (SeaTalkhs), SeaTalk, SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000, and NMEA 0183). Depending on the types of interfaces found on the other devices within one's system, one, two, three, or all four of the MFDs' communications interfaces may be utilized. In the case of the items which you have identified thus far,
- the MFD's Ethernet (SeaTalkhs) communications interface is being used to communicate with your system devices having very high communications bandwidth requirements (i.e. the CP370 and radar transducer). Should you examine the system more closely, you will find an Ethernet network switch within the system to with the MFD, CP370, and radar transducer have all been connected.
- the MFD's SeaTalkng communications interface has is being used to communicate with some of your system's devices having somewhat less communications bandwidth requirements. Please refer the link provided in my initial response to information concerning a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng backbone. Each device having a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications interface (Data Master E-Series Widescreen MFD, i70, SPX30, ST70 AP Control Head, must each be interfaced as a spur to the backbone. Based upon the description of your system's backbone, it does not appear to have been properly constructed ... specifically, it has not been properly terminated as you have indicated that the backbone's two backbone sockets (blue) are unoccupied ... these should each be filled with a SeaTalkng Termination plug. I have previously provided a link to address how the backbone may be extended to provide additional spur sockets (white) to the backbone to accommodate additional devices having a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications interface such as the HT200. Information has also been previously provided regarding how the HT200's DeviceNet plug may be adapted to be mated to a SeaTalkng spur socket. The most complete information concerning SeaTalkng networking may be found within the SeaTalkng Reference Manual ... as strongly recommended resource for those constructing / modifying a SeaTalkng network.

No changes should be required to the manner that the MFD has been interfaced to the SeaTalkng backbone nor the manner in which the system is powered.
03-31-17, 02:05 PM
I did find the Ethernet network switch which is a grey mounted unit and connected to the MFD, CP370 and radar and will leave it as is.

My 5 way blue sockets are filled with the terminator plugs. I will purchase the seatalk ng starter kit and buy a backbone to connect the 2. I spoke with airmar and good on the connector need to plug into white plug. A spur will connect to the i70 unit I intend to purchase.

The starter kit comes with power cord that I will connect.

Sound right? Thanks again for your help Chuck!
03-31-17, 02:41 PM
John,

It is recommended that you verify the length of the HT200. It length of the HT200's cable added the length of the DeviceNet to SeaTalkng Spur Adapter added to length the SeaTalkng Spur Cable connecting the i70 to the SeaTalkng backbone exceeds 6m, then the cable assembly comprising the HT200's cable and DeviceNet to SeaTalkng Spur Adapter should be connected to a spur socket within the bacbkone instead of to the unused spur socket of the i70 MFID. The i70 MFID would need to be interfaced by a single SeaTalkng Spur Cable to the backbone.