Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ST6000 Disengaging to Standby
03-22-17, 09:19 AM
ST6000 Disengaging to Standby
I have the ST6000 system which has worked flawlessly until one day it defaulted to Standby. Then randomly did it again. Then it instantly went to Standby each time I tried to engage Autopilot.

At the time I had not changed anything on the boat so could not understand why this all of a sudden started happening.

I engaged the local marina staff to troubleshoot. They also connected with Raymarine staff to get advise on tests to be done.

This included testing source voltage and also testing the motor while not connected to the computer unit. All those tests passed.

Power and motor + and - were reconnected and in testing the autopilot it worked again. We deduced it may have been a short in the computer box area.

On first 4 hour trip it worked flawlessly. On second trip it began to randomly default to Standby. Then after a while went instantly to Standby on every attempt to engage Autopilot.

In the meantime all new house batteries have been installed.

Ideas for next steps in solving this would be appreciated.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-22-17, 12:23 PM (This post was last modified: 03-22-17 12:29 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: ST6000 Disengaging to Standby
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum deboyes,

The symptoms described are typically indicative of low or intermittent power to the autopilot course computer. Such low power conditions typically result from operation of a vessels autopilot for extended periods of time without the charging system being operated, not being operated for sufficient time to completely replenish battery charge, power consumption exceeding the charging capacity of the charging system, failure of the charging system, intermittent/poor electrical circuit supplying the autopilot course computer, insufficient battery storage capacity, or failing battery bank. As the batteries have been replaced, it is recommended that the circuit (both power and ground) from the autopilot course computer though the power distribution panel/bus bar, battery switch(es), to the battery and engine block be inspected to ensure that all connections are free of corrosion, clean, and tight (suggest unfastening, cleaning, and re-tightening all connectors).

Unfortunately, should the above have been performed/verified and the problem persists, then it would appear that the autopilot course computer has suffered a failure. Should the model of autopilot course computer be an SPX autopilot course computer (X5, X10, X30, X-CAN, X-SOL), the it would be recommended that the autopilot course computer be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced. However, should the model of autopilot course computer be of a design which preceded the SPX autopilot course computers, then it would unfortunately necessitate that the autopilot course computer be replaced, as Raymarine can no longer provide parts for nor services autopilot course computers preceding the SPX autopilot course computers.

If considering replacement of the autopilot course computer with a Raymarine Evolution Autopilot, then it should be noted that the currently installed autopilot drive unit and rudder reference transducer may be retained for use with the Evolution Autopilot. Should the model of autopilot drive unit be identified, then it may be possible to specify which Evolution Autopilot components would be recommended to replace other autopilot components within your system as well as to indicate how the Evolution autopilot components may be interfaced to any other marine electronics components within your system.
03-29-17, 10:52 AM (This post was last modified: 03-29-17 12:35 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Chuck,

Thanks for troubleshooting tips. My marine guy and I went through all of these. Everything seems good except one thing that keeps coming up.

When we have reassembled the wiring and are diligent in reinserting the power + and - wires it works again. My marine guy thinks the connector receptacle is a bit hokey. Certainly difficult to work with. And, that the ground one seemed to have come loose during travel.

We will see if this does the trick.
03-29-17, 12:44 PM
You're welcome.
04-22-17, 05:28 PM (This post was last modified: 04-24-17 10:09 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi again,

Well it worked flawlessly for a 3 hour trip two days ago. Today after two nights at anchor it defaulted to Standby on my first attempt at Autopilot. After my hour trip I checked the wiring, wiggled it etc and my testing at he marina shows it works intermittently.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

David
04-24-17, 10:23 AM (This post was last modified: 04-24-17 10:24 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
David,

If you can effect the failure by wiggling wires to the course computer, then there is either a failure within the cable which is being wiggled or the connector on the course computer's circuit board. You may want to convey this information to your installer to further fault isolate the problem.
04-24-17, 12:28 PM (This post was last modified: 04-25-17 08:26 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
So I reset all the wires still going into Standby. All your previous troubleshooting ideas have been followed to no avail.

What course computer replaces my Type 100 please.
I have ST6000+ and ST600R Seatalks plus Raytheon Fluxgate and Octopus 1212 reversible hydraulic pump

Thanks
04-25-17, 08:44 AM (This post was last modified: 04-26-17 08:00 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
David,

Q. What course computer replaces my Type 100 please.
A. Unfortunately, three new generations of autopilot course computer have been introduced since the Type 100. Replacement of the currently installed autopilot course computer with Evolution autopilot components would require
- replacement of the fluxgate compass with an EV-1 Sensor Core, replacement of the ST6001 with a p70S or p70RS Autopilot Control Head,
- installation of a SeaTalkng backbone to interface the Evolution autopilot components to one another,
- installation of a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter to support integration of the ST600R, and
- replacement of the Type 100 Autopilot Course Computer with an appropriate Evolution ACU for your third party autopilot hydraulic pump. As no online documentation could be located for the Octopus 1212 reversible hydraulic pump, it would be recommended that Aero Marine Services (one of our Raymarine dealers who is also a dealer of Octopus autopilot drive units) be contacted regarding the recommended ACU for use with your hydraulic autopilot pump.
04-25-17, 10:16 AM (This post was last modified: 04-25-17 12:17 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks for this.

My pump specs are at octopusdrives.com on page 7 and 9. 1212 shows 4 to 6 amp with max of 19. And 600cc to 1.2 litre/min. Does this help?

I'm thinking I can't afford to replace everything. Can you confirm that a SmartPilot with replace the Type 100 and which model?

Also I presume a Type 300 will replace it too.

Any help in identifying model I can purchase second hand would help.

Thanks,

David.
04-25-17, 12:25 PM (This post was last modified: 04-25-17 12:27 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
David,

Based upon the spec's of the pump, an Evolution ACU-400 would probably be recommended. The following autopilot equivalents to the ACU-400 preceded the ACU-400 (in order of most recent to oldest design):
- SPX-30
- S3G SmartPilot
- S3
- Type 400G
- Type 400

Again, due to their experience with Octopus drives, it is recommended that Aero Marine Services be contacted to confirm which Evolution ACU would be best suited for use with your Octopus hydraulic pump. Should Aero Marine Services recommend an ACU-400 for your application, then any of the above listed autopilot course computers may be used.