Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ST70 with SPX5
03-27-17, 06:06 PM
ST70 with SPX5
I´m trying to conect an ST70 autopilot head control unit (replacing a broken ST6002) with my SPX5 course computer in a vesel, using a Seatalk NG to Sea Talk adaptor cable, conecting ST70 Seatalk ng port to ST60 SeaTalk port, (based on the squema provided in the ST70 Installation Guide for SeaTalk networks) but neither ST60 nor ST70 powers up. Could you help me please?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-28-17, 09:55 AM
RE: ST70 with SPX5
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum gustavoiz,

When using a SPX autopilot course computer in conjunction with a ST70 autopilot control head, it is recommended that these devices be interfaced to one another via a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng backbone. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing how a simple backbone may be constructed. As the SPX autopilot course computers had limited SeaTalk to SeaTalkng data bridging capabilities, it is recommended that a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter (updated with the latest available Raymarine product software updates) be added to the SeaTalkng backbone and that the SeaTalk bus linking the ST60 instrument(s) (up to 5 per SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter permitted) be interfaced to the SeaTalk socket (yellow) of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. It is further recommended that you ensure that the SPX autopilot course computer and the ST70 autopilot control head each also be updated with the latest available Raymarine product software updates.
03-29-17, 03:49 PM
Thank you Chuck for your answer.

I have bought a Seatalkng starter kit with a 5 way conector, 2 terminators, power cable and 2 spur cables.
As a first step, Im planning to connect one spur cable to SPX5 and another one to ST70 (see atached image) without SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. Dou you think this can work?

When you say "had limited SeaTalk to SeaTalkng data bridging capabilities" an recommend to install a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter , What could I lose if I do not connect it?

thanks again.
03-29-17, 03:56 PM
gustavoiz,

The ST70 Autopilot Control Head cannot simultaneously support SeaTalk and SeaTalkng communications. Accordingly, the connection from the ST70 Autopilot Control Head to the SeaTalk bus shown within your diagram should be removed. The SeaTalk bus should instead be connected to the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter per my prior response.