Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
expedition software with raymarine
03-28-17, 09:31 AM
expedition software with raymarine
I currently have a STng network with raymarine wind, depth, speed sensors, i50 depth, i60 wind and CH, i70(2), e95(2), EV-1 auto pilot.
I added an actisense NGT-1 USB with a STng cable adapter to connect my laptop running Expedition software. I would like to add a Garmin GNX 120 display (NMEA2000) to the STng backbone to view my Expedition output. Is that possible? If so, can the GNX 120 display the STng data from the Raymarine sensors if the laptop is not connected?

Is anyone using Expedition with a Raymarine network?
Thanks for your suggestions.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-28-17, 11:03 AM (This post was last modified: 03-28-17 11:03 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: expedition software with raymarine
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum John,

Q1. I would like to add a Garmin GNX 120 display (NMEA2000) to the STng backbone to view my Expedition output. Is that possible?
A1. While it is certainly possible to interface your third party display to a SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 backbone which has been constructed from SeaTalkng networking components, questions regarding which data items transmitted by Expedition to a NMEA 2000 backbone may be used by the third party display would be best addressed by the manufacturer of the third party display. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing how a third party device having a NMEA 2000 communications interface may in turn be interfaced as a spur to a SeaTalkng backbone.

Q2. If so, can the GNX 120 display the STng data from the Raymarine sensors if the laptop is not connected?
A2. Raymarine products having a SeaTalkng communications interface which operating with the latest available Raymarine product software updates transmit data via standard NMEA 2000 PGNs. Should a third party product indicate that it can process data associated with specific NMEA 2000 PGNs and the Raymarine equipment transmit the corresponding PGNs (refer to the corresponding Raymarine product's installation and/or operation guides), then the third party product may indeed repeat the corresponding data from the Raymarine devices.
03-29-17, 02:22 PM (This post was last modified: 03-29-17 02:28 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
thanks for your advice. Garmin said to attach their GNX120 display(NMEA2000 compatible) to a STng network I would need a Raymarine E55053 adapter(they weren't sure if that was the right number). is that correct?
03-29-17, 02:38 PM
John,

The adapter cable specified by Garmin support is not correct for this application ... it features a SeaTalk2 plug on one end instead of a SeaTalkng spur plug. Based upon the recommendation from Garmin support, it would appear that your Garmin display requires a cable featuring DeviceNet (M) or DeviceNet (F) plug on the end which will be connected to the Garmin product. Instead of the cable which had been specified by Garmin support, an A06075 / 39.4in (1.0m) DeviceNet Female to SeaTalkng Spur Adapter or an A06076 / 39.4in (1.0m) DeviceNet Male to SeaTalkng Spur Adapter would be used. It is recommended that you examine the Garmin product to determine the gender of its connector in order that you may then purchase an adapter of the correct gender from the ones which I have identified.
03-29-17, 03:44 PM (This post was last modified: 03-29-17 03:53 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
thanks very much.
03-29-17, 03:53 PM
You're welcome.