Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Seatalk expansion on my GS165
03-05-16, 08:19 PM (This post was last modified: 03-17-20 12:57 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Seatalk expansion on my GS165
My GS165 only has one Seatalk NG connector. The Seatalk to Seatalk NG converter that came with it offers a little expansion but it's manual says an autopilot should not be connected to it. Do I have any other choice than the HS5 Network switch ?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-06-16, 09:35 AM (This post was last modified: 03-17-20 12:58 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Seatalk expansion on my GS165
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum safeandsoundinc,

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. To learn more about SeaTalkng networking, click here. The SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter alone is a small SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 backbone. This backbone may be extended to with additional SeaTalkng spur sockets by connecting SeaTalkng 5-Way Connectors, SeaTalkng T-Pieces, and additional SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converters to the blue backbone sockets of the SeaTalkk to SeaTalkng Converter using appropriate lengths of SeaTalkng Backbone Cable.

Raymarine autpilots do not feature an Ethernet interface and as such may not be interfaced to an Ethernet switch (ex. HS5 RayNet Network Switch, SR6 (retired) , SeaTalkhs Network Switch (retired).
Find all posts by this user
03-08-16, 08:52 AM
RE: Seatalk expansion on my GS165
Let me ask another way. Can I connect all these items with just the 5way Seatalk connectors? Do I need anything else?

Raymarine GS165
Raymarine RA1048D HD Color 4kw Open Array
Raymarine p70 autopilot control head
Raymarine S2G-AST smartpilot
Raymarine i50 tridata
Ray240 VHF radio
Raymarine SR100 sirius weather
Raystar 125 GPS antenna
03-08-16, 11:14 AM (This post was last modified: 03-17-20 12:58 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
safeandsoundinc,

Q1: Let me ask another way. Can I connect all these items with just the 5way Seatalk connectors?
A1: No. Three different types communications interfaces (Ethernet, SeaTalkng, & NMEA 0183) will be used to interface the specified items.

The RA1048D HD Color 4kw Open Array Digital Radar Cable will be interfaced to one of the gS165's Ethernet (RayNet) ports. Should your Digital Radar Cable feature a RayNet(F) plug on one end, then this plug would be used to mate the Digital Radar Cable to one of the MFD's Ethernet ports. Should your Digital Radar Cable feature a male RJ45 plug on one end, then an A80247 RayNet (F) to RJ45 (F) Adaptor would be used to mate the Digital Radar Cable to one of the MFD's Ethernet ports.

The SR100 will be interfaced to one of the gS165 MFD's Ethernet ports using a cable assembly constructed from an A80272 RayNet (M) to SeaTalkHS (M) Adapter and an appropriate length of RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable.

The Ray240 VHF radio base station will need to be interfaced via NMEA 0183 communications protocol to the NMEA 0183 Port 1 leads of the gS165's Power/NMEA 0183/Video input cable. Should the Ray240 base station's NMEA 0183 leads need to be extended, then commonly available marine grade twisted pair signal cable should be used.

The S2G's NMEA 0183 OUT1 port will be interfaced to the NMEA 0183 Port 2 IN leads of the gS165's Power/Video/NMEA 0183 Cable. Should the NMEA 0183 Port 2 IN leads of the gS165's Power/Video/NMEA 0183 Cable need to be extended, then commonly available marine grade twisted pair signal cable should be used.

A powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng backbone will need to be installed having at least three available spur sockets to permit the gS165, i50, and p70 to each be interfaced as a spur to the SeaTalkng backbone. Alternatively, should the gS165, i50, and p70 all be closely located to one another and to the backbone, then the i50, p70, and gS165 may be daisy chained to one another and then connected to a single socket within the SeaTalkng backbone. Should the total length of the spur cables used to daisy chain these three devices to the SeaTalkng backbone be greater then 5m, then these devices must instead be individually connected to the SeaTalkng backbone.

The Raystar 125 GPS Sensor will be spliced (RS125 Red & Green to SeaTalk Red; RS125 yellow to SeaTalk yellow; RS125 brown & black/shield to SeaTalk Shield)to an appropriate length of SeaTalk Plug to Plug Cable, which will in turn be interfaced to a D244 SeaTalk Junction Block. A second length of SeaTalk Plug to Plug Cable would be used to connect the D244 block to one of the SeaTalk ports of the S2G. When connecting this cable to the S2G's SeaTalk port, the cable's red lead should not be connected to the red terminal of the S2G's SeaTalk port. Instead, this red lead will simply be insulated to prevent shorting.

A SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter will need to be interfaced to the SeaTalkng backbone via an appropriate length of SeaTalkng Backbone Cable. The yellow socket of the Converter will be connected to the remaining socket of the aforementioned D244 SeaTalk Junction Block.

PROFESSIONAL INSTALLATION: While the replacement of this equipment is well within the capabilities of those familiar with marine electronics equipment installation, there will be some cable splicing and cable chasing required. Should this not be within your comfort zone or skills, then click here (http://www.raymarine.com/display/?id=911) to locate a Certified Raymarine Installer in your area.
03-20-16, 06:06 PM (This post was last modified: 03-17-20 01:00 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
One more question. Thru the seatalk buss, each item grabs power from the buss, (I also added a fusion link and camera) where in the chain can I switch power so the i50 and i70 display aren't on all the time. I have an "electronics" (that now only powers up the VHF) and "autopilot" power switch.

One more question: I also added a CAM200iP and a Fusion radio (via STng adapter) and in testing a came up with a power on/off problem. As soon as anything on the backbone gets battery power, the i70 and i50 power up (even without the GS165 plugged in). The original setup has a dash switch labeled "autopilot" (which works fine) and another for "electronics" which now only powers up the VHF. How can I get the GS165, i70, i50 and CAM200iP to power up from the electronics switch? Or is there a different option you recommend.

Thanks again.
03-21-16, 09:52 AM (This post was last modified: 03-17-20 01:01 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
safeandsoundinc,

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing installing power circuits for marine electronics.

With the exception of POE devices, Ramarine's MFDs are not designed to power other devices. As indicated within the FAQ referenced above, the i50/i60/i70 Instrument Displays feature a POWER ON/OFF button to permit them to be powered ON/OFF independent of the power state to the SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 backbone.

Please additionally note that the POE sockets of the gS-Series MFDs remain ON when the power button of these MFDs is switched OFF. As such, should a POE device (ex. CAM200IP) be interfaced directly to POE socket of a gS-Series MFDs, then it will be powered until the power circuit supplying the MFD is switched OFF.
03-21-16, 06:59 PM (This post was last modified: 03-17-20 01:01 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Yes, I could simply turn off the i70 and i50 but they default to on as soon as battery power is connected and each of them require the power button to be held for a long time to turn them off.
03-22-16, 07:50 AM (This post was last modified: 03-17-20 01:06 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
safeandsoundinc,

The link provided within my last response has been corrected ... please try it again.

In case it was not clear within the referenced FAQ, the last power state memory feature of the a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFD and i50/i60/i70 Instrument Displays (operating with the latest available Raymarine product software updates) functions as follows:
- should the a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFD or i50/i60/i70 Instrument Display in the ON state and should the circuit supplying the MFD or instrument display be de-energized, then the MFD or instrument display will return to the ON state when the circuit is re-energized.
- should the a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFD or i50/i60/i70 Instrument Display in the OFF state and should the circuit supplying the MFD or instrument display be de-energized, then the MFD or instrument display will remain in the OFF state when the circuit is re-energized. Pressing the POWER button of the MFD or instrument display will return it to the ON state.
03-16-20, 10:36 AM (This post was last modified: 03-17-20 01:08 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
So I'm adding one more ethernet device (ShadowCaster Lighting MFD interface) and I'm out of ports, does this mean I need an HS5 switch?
03-17-20, 01:24 PM
safeandsoundinc,

The product which you are seeking to interface to the system requires the Shadow-Caster app to be installed within the LightHouse Apps feature of an Axiom/Axiom Pro/Axiom XL MFD running LightHouse 3 software. Should the network of such MFDs not feature a sufficient number of Ethernet Network (RayNet) sockets, then indeed a HS5 RayNet Network Switch(es) would need to be added to the system to support the additional compatible Ethernet devices. Unfortunately, eS/gS-Series MFDs running LightHouse 3 software do not support LightHouse Apps and as such ShadowCaster Lighting may not be added to the system unless it were to additionally include an Axiom/Axiom Pro/Axiom XL MFD and should all MFDs within the system be operating LightHouse 3 v3.11.42 software.