Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AIS nmea into SPX5
04-12-17, 02:06 PM
AIS nmea into SPX5
I notice the SPX5 can receive nmea inputs from other devices and am wondering if I can use the input on the the course computer to get AIS from an nmea source onto my seatalkng network.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-12-17, 03:39 PM
RE: AIS nmea into SPX5
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum memornix,

Raymarine's SPX autopilots are neither designed to
- support communications with a device supporting 38400 BAUD NMEA 0183 communications (ex. AIS receivers, AIS transceivers, etc.), nor
- support bridging of NMEA 0183 sentences containing AIS data to SeaTalkng or SeaTalk.

Should one have an AIS receiver or AIS transceiver and desire that AIS data from this device be made available to devices which have in been networked via a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone, then it would be recommended that a NMEA 0183 to SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 data bridging device supporting NMEA 0183 AIS data sentences (ex. Actisense NGW-1-ISO-STNG, etc.) be used to perform this function.
04-19-17, 05:29 PM
Thanks, I purchased the Actisense and everything is working as it should.

Just a note about the convertor, when using the seatalkng model which comes with the adapter for raymarine, it still needs to be programmed to have the proper baud rate. There is an AIS version that comes preset bit then you need to buy the adaptor to a raymarine plug.

Programming the Actisense convertor requires either an old serial port or USB to serial adaptor so it may be cheaper and easier to buy the AIS version and seatalkng adaptor.
04-20-17, 08:42 AM
memornix,

We're glad to learn of your success. To expand on your finding, the Actisense NGW-1-ISO-STNG would be used as a 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 to SeaTalkng data bridge. The Actisense NGW-1-ISO-AIS would be used as a 38400 BAUD NMEA 0183 AIS (also supports a limited set of additional NMEA 0183 sentences ... see its product documentation for details) to NMEA 2000 DeviceNet. A Raymarine A06045 / 15.7in (0.4m) DeviceNet (F) to SeaTalkng Spur Adapter would be needed to mate the NGW-1-ISO-AIS to be mated to a SeaTalkng spur socket.