• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where to start???
04-19-17, 08:00 AM
Where to start???
New to me boat... has the following:

Raytheon Chartplotter RC520
Raytheon Pathfinder RL70
Raytheon Autopilot ST6001+

First issue is nothing is currently connected/hooked up. The wiring was EXTREMELY messed up in the entire boat, so it is currently being rewired.

I guess I'm looking for help/assistance/guidance on hooking everything up and testing. The items listed above I took from the front of their respective display units. There is a radar dome on the t-top, no reference numbers on it. I do not know if I even have all the right 'parts' to make it all work. I have found two small white boxes that say raytheon on them, they were near the displays but I don't know what they are or do, I'm guessing some type of interface??? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Darren
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-19-17, 11:34 AM (This post was last modified: 04-19-17 11:38 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: Where to start???
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Darren,

Unfortunately, these products are no longer supported. However, I would recommend starting with the product manuals for each of the items installed onboard. Product Documentation for Raymarine products past and present may be found here. These documents describe how the products should be powered and interfaced to one another and included sample diagrams. While the diagram below is for an hsb2 system, the diagram for hsb systems would only differ in that
- only two hsb displays may be interfaced to one another via hsb cable
- hsb displays may not be interfaced to a DSM250, DSM30, or DSM300,
- hsb displays may not be interfaced to a PC via a hsb2 to PCMCIA Interface Kit

[Image: attachment.php?aid=898]

In short, each display, the autopilot control head, autopilot course computer, and GPS sensor will be interfaced to a powered SeaTalk bus. The white boxes which you have referred to are likely SeaTalk Auxiliary Junction Boxes, meant to supply power to the SeaTalk bus. SeaTalk networking components may be found here. The hsb ports of the two displays were designed to be joined to one another via an appropriate length of hsb Cable to permit the displays to share cartography, fishfinder, and radar data/features between the displays. Hsb Cable may not be available any longer ... however, I would recommend contacting Raymarine Order Services to verify. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing C-Map cartography for use with these displays. Regarding compatible radar transducers, please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. This FAQ also included information concerning analog radar cables.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

.pdf  Pathfinder PC.pdf (Size: 124.97 KB / Downloads: 534)
04-19-17, 12:15 PM
Thanks for the info. Chuck.

To make things a bit clearer in my head....

on the autopilot side... I know I have the controller head, the hydraulic drive unit is the pump with the hydraulic lines going to it? The Fluxgate heading sensor is a tennis ball size looking round thingy on a square base? I'm not sure what (or where to look) for the rudder position sensor? I am also guessing none of this matters if the 'course computer' is missing???

Is there a way to identify the top mounted GPS sensor, mine is missing the cover?

I did try to go to the manual section, but got lost in all the sub-menus. I sort of expected to just download 3 manuals, but found it very difficult to navigate.

Thanks again.
04-19-17, 12:58 PM
Darren,

Q1a. on the autopilot side... I know I have the controller head, the hydraulic drive unit is the pump with the hydraulic lines going to it?
A1a. the autopilot's hydraulic pump would indeed have hydraulic lines connected to it. It would also have a set of motor leads leading from the pump to the corresponding Motor A/B terminals of the autopilot course computer.

Q1b. The Fluxgate heading sensor is a tennis ball size looking round thingy on a square base?
A1b. Sounds like the M81190 Fluxgate Compass and its leads would also be connected to the corresponding Compass terminals of the autopilot course computer.

Q1c. I'm not sure what (or where to look) for the rudder position sensor?
A1c. Autopilots of this vintage required a rudder reference transducer which would be connected to the rudder arm. Linear rudder reference transducers were also produced for outboard powered vessels.

Q1d. I am also guessing none of this matters if the 'course computer' is missing???
A1d. I suggest that you trace the fluxgate compass leads or hydraulic pump leads to see where they terminate.

Q2. Is there a way to identify the top mounted GPS sensor, mine is missing the cover?
A2. Perhaps, if a photo of the GPS sensor is attached to the thread, then it may be possible to identify the model of GPS sensor. However, should its cover be missing, then the system will quite possibly be in need of a new GPS sensor.

Q3. I did try to go to the manual section, but got lost in all the sub-menus. I sort of expected to just download 3 manuals, but found it very difficult to navigate.
A3. The generation of displays that you own were known as hsb Pathfinder Series Displays.
- RL70 Manual: https://raymarine.app.box.com/s/eri3w81z...74180851/1
- RC520 Manual: https://raymarine.app.box.com/s/eri3w81z...74191583/1
04-19-17, 03:57 PM (This post was last modified: 04-19-17 04:12 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Trying to attach some pics... One is what I think is the rudder position sensor? silver-ish tube with a wire coming out of one end, attached to the steering linkage of the outboards? Also including pics. of the GPS and the radome.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

04-19-17, 04:17 PM (This post was last modified: 04-19-17 04:18 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Darren,

Q1. One is what I think is the rudder position sensor? silver-ish tube with a wire coming out of one end, attached to the steering linkage of the outboards?
A1. The item which you have described appears to be a linear rudder reference transducer.

One of the photos is of a 2D 18" 2kW Radome whose large diameter which cable should simply plug into the RADAR socket on the back side of the RL70. The other photos are of a sensor which cannot be identified ... see my earlier response about replacing the GPS sensor.
04-19-17, 04:23 PM (This post was last modified: 04-19-17 04:36 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thank you again! Especially for picking apart my run-on sentence and answering each part! The first link at the bottom, does it matter that my Radar display is not a color screen? Sorry I'm not overly versatile using the forum format.
04-19-17, 04:36 PM
Darren,

Q: The first link at the bottom, does it matter that my Radar display is not a color screen?
A: No.
04-20-17, 06:27 AM
Thanks again Chuck, I'll update the post as I progress, but if may be a few weeks, lots of items on the to-do list.
04-20-17, 08:13 AM
You're welcome.