Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Splice Quantum Data Cable
04-19-17, 08:08 AM
Splice Quantum Data Cable
I am currently installing a new Quantum Radar (T70243) on my boat with an Axiom 9 with 3D RealVision (E70367). Although the unit provides integration via WiFi, I prefer to install it using the included data cable. After a week of trying to snake the data cable through the boat, I had to cut the connector off. I was then able to snake the cable through the remaining distance to the install location.

I have experience with CAT 5 cable and RJ45 connectors and it appears that the data cable is the same as CAT 5 cable. I was trying to determine the best way to splice the cables together and was hoping you could help me answer the following questions:

1. Can I crimp a standard RJ45 connector to the end of the cable and then use the RayNet (F) to RJ45 (F) Adaptor (Part #A80247)

2. If I crimp a RJ45 connector to the cable, do I use a typical CAT-5 B diagram?

3. Am I better off using a standard punch junction board to make the connection and then seal it?

Thanks for your help and I can't wait to try out my new electronics
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-19-17, 02:31 PM
RE: Splice Quantum Data Cable
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum capecodboater,

Q1. Can I crimp a standard RJ45 connector to the end of the cable and then use the RayNet (F) to RJ45 (F) Adaptor (Part #A80247)
A1. It is indeed possible to crimp a RJ45 plug onto the cable's leads to support the adaptation which you have suggested. However, only shielded RJ45 plugs should be used.

Q2. If I crimp a RJ45 connector to the cable, do I use a typical CAT-5 B diagram?
A2. Please click here to view a FAQ identifying the type of termination to be used when installing the RJ45 plug.

Q3. Am I better off using a standard punch junction board to make the connection and then seal it?
A3. This approach would not be recommended as it may introduce noise within the Ethernet communications path.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply