Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Type I pump install ev150
04-24-17, 10:09 AM
Type I pump install ev150
I just received my new ev150. Was going over the installation for the Type I pump and my helm (sea star HH5261) only has the P & S hoses connected. There is no reservoir connected. The instructions say it must be connected to the pump. So what now? It appears the "R" ports are capped......

Also, can the pump be mounted at/near the helm? It is the ideal spot for the installation for hose routing and connections to the existing electronics. I know the instructions say "close tot he ram" but it is not ideal and would make this extremely difficult and the pump would have to be mounted in the bilge.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-26-17, 02:51 PM (This post was last modified: 04-26-17 02:52 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: Type I pump install ev150
rltrbill,

I suspect that if you consulted with Sea Star's support team, you would find that the two capped ports are for an optional hydraulic fluid reservoir and for the additional hydraulic hose from the autopilot's hydraulic pump shown within the diagram below.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=920]

Should no hydraulic fluid reservoir have been installed with your helm pump, then the helm pump would be acting as a limited capacity reservoir for hydraulic fluid. One of the caps which you have referenced will need to be removed to accommodate connecting the additional hydraulic hose from the autopilot's hydraulic pump.

Regarding the location of the autopilot's hydraulic pump, best performance will be achieved when the pump has been located in close proximity to the steering ram. The pump's installation location should also be protected from exposure to moisture associated with rain and waves. However, it should be noted that it sometimes not practical, particularly in smaller boats, to install the autopilot hydraulic pump in very close proximity to the steering ram. In smaller boats, the location of the autopilot hydraulic pump is less important with respect to the performance of the autopilot. However, it is key to ensure that the autopilot hydraulic pump is located at a lower height relative to the helm pump and that the hose is run in a continuously upward direction from the autopilot hydraulic pump to the helm pump.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

04-27-17, 08:57 AM (This post was last modified: 04-27-17 09:23 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
I want to make sure it is done the right way. Should I simply connect a hose from either of the "R" ports on the helm to the "R" port on the RM motor?

As far as pump location- it is a smaller powerboat (26 Pursuit/twin 200 outboards) and under the helm, below the seastar helm is by far the most practical as long as it will function properly.

Thanks again for the reply
04-27-17, 09:22 AM (This post was last modified: 04-27-17 09:24 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
rltrbill,

Q1. I want to make sure it is done the right way. Should I simply connect a hose from either of the "R" ports on the helm to the "R" port on the RM motor?
A1. Yes.

Q2. As far as pump location- it is a smaller powerboat (26 Pursuit/twin 200 outboards) and under the helm, below the seastar helm is by far the most practical as long as it will function properly.
A2. Again, installing the pump at the helm should be satisfactory as long as the previously supplied information concerning the height of the autopilot pump relative to helm pump and protection of the autopilot pump from the marine environment are adhered to.
04-27-17, 10:08 AM
Thank you
04-27-17, 10:50 AM
You're welcome.