Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
rudder limit, set uup issue
04-27-17, 10:10 AM
rudder limit, set uup issue
On our last trip I noticed that the autopilot thought the motors were turned to port when they were actually straight...went to reset them last night using dockside wizard and when it asks you to turn all the way to starboard it gives a warning of out of rudder limit or something like that and exits. It has never done this before and I cannot get it to reset. I have tried the factory reset multiple times and sometimes when I go into dockside wizard it does not ask me to center motors etc....it give me a 30 degee rudder feedback and 10 time limit or something like that and when you let it try to test itself it turns the motor the opposite direction about 5 degrees and stops....it is a evolution 200 system.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-28-17, 01:13 PM
RE: rudder limit, set uup issue
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Eric,

Have the Raymarine Rudder Reference Transducer, a third party rudder reference transducer, or no rudder reference transducer been interfaced to the ACU200?
04-28-17, 07:58 PM (This post was last modified: 05-01-17 10:49 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
It is a Raymarine rudder reference... did some more testing. The current issue is I think the rudder feedback is not working correctly. When you set it up, the unit thinks you well over 30 degrees to starboard when at center. Once it asks to turn to port it will only go down to 22 degrees to starboard, when it asks you to turn all the way to starboard it gives a rudder feed back error. I thought maybe there was corrosion in the connections at the motor so cut them and made new connections. The only way you can get the unit to think you are at center is to take it loose from the motor and let the rudder feedback turn all the way starboard on it spring.
05-01-17, 11:18 AM (This post was last modified: 05-01-17 02:05 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Eric,

Dockside calibration steps are performed to ensure that the autopilot senses the correct position of the rudder/outdrive/outboard and that the steering actuator is moving the rudder/outdrive/outboard in the correct direction in response to steering commands. Raymarine autopilots must not be commanded into Auto or Track modes when underway should the autopilot fail to pass dockside calibration. It is further recommended that Evolution autopilots not be commanded into Auto or Track modes until the autopilot has completed detecting magnetics (i.e. determining the sensed deviation in the location of the EV-1/EV-2 Sensor Core) and that the autopilot's heading has been verified/aligned.

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing how to test a rudder reference transducer. Should your rudder reference transducer's resistance measurements, then the rudder reference transducer should be replaced. When installing the rotary rudder reference transducer, care must be taken to center the rudder/outdrive/outboard prior to installing the rudder reference transducer. Additionally, the alignment tab (located on the opposite side of the rotary rudder reference transducer's arm) must be aligned with the alignment tab on the transducer's base (see diagram below) when securing the rudder reference transducer.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=937]

After ensuring the at the rudder movement portion of the Dockside Wizard has passed, then the wizard will attempt to verify that the steering actuator is moving the rudder/outdrive/outboard in the correct direction in response to steering commands. Should the rudder/outdrive/outboard move in the opposite direction in response to steering commands, then Please click here to view a FAQ addressing how to correct this behavior.

Finally, as Evolution autopilot are heavily dependent upon sensed speed, any speed through water sensor input should be assessed to determine whether it is functioning and accurate. If not, then the autopilot should be configured to use GPS SOG rather than Speed (through water) for sensed speed data.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

05-01-17, 12:40 PM (This post was last modified: 05-01-17 01:58 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Unfortunately I would need some more info to test than red to green and a ohm reading, I will research how to test ohms when I get moment. Based on some research about other evo200 installs it is necessary to have the rudder reference transducer installed. I believe it was used because the other ray autopilot I believe a ST1000 had it installed. Can I just take it loose from the acu and use it without it....?
05-01-17, 02:02 PM (This post was last modified: 05-01-17 02:11 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Eric,

While it is not necessary to install a rudder reference transducer with the Evolution ACUs, maximum performance of the autopilot will be achieved when a rudder reference transducer has been installed. The package of each ACU-200 includes a M81105 Rotary Rudder Reference transducer and hardware to install the transducer.
05-01-17, 02:06 PM (This post was last modified: 05-01-17 02:10 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Ok, so to test it I need to take the wires loose from the acu 200 and check the ohms between the two wires?
05-01-17, 02:12 PM
Eric,

Q: so to test it I need to take the wires loose from the acu 200 and check the ohms between the two wires?
A: Yes.
05-01-17, 02:26 PM (This post was last modified: 05-01-17 02:38 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Ok, so to test it I need to take the wires loose from the acu 200 and check the ohms between the two wires?
05-01-17, 02:39 PM
Eric,

It is indeed necessary to disconnect the transducer's leads from the ACU's Rudder terminals when testing the transducer.