Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ES97 and Quantum Radar Wifi won't connect
05-02-17, 05:58 AM
ES97 and Quantum Radar Wifi won't connect
Hello!
I've installed a brandnew Es97 MFD together with a Quantum wifi radar.
I cannot connect both devices via Wifi without changing the wifi encryption settings: I've got to change the wifi settings to 'no encryption' . This means that the wifi MFD connection is open, without encryption.

This is the only way to connect both devices.
When a connection is made and I change the wifisettings back to WPA , then the wifi connection between the radar and the MFD is lost.

My neighbour in our harbour has got the same configuration, and exact the same problem.

2. When I want to connect the RayRemote app on my iPad with the MFD, the same problem occurs: it will only connect when the MFD wifi settings are changed in 'no encryption' .

I've updated the MFD to the latest verion.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-02-17, 01:23 PM (This post was last modified: 05-08-17 09:44 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: ES97 and Quantum Radar Wifi won't connect
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum mulderpc,

Please note that we have unsuccessfully attempted to duplicate the reported problem within our office. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing how to determine the version of software installed within each of your products. After establishing communications with the radome, then display the diagnostics Select Devices list. Please note and respond with the version of software is installed within the MFD and radome.

Regarding the problems communicating with the smartphone, please indicate the name / ssid of your smartphone.
05-03-17, 04:50 AM (This post was last modified: 05-03-17 08:14 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
I've an iPhone : when I create a hotspot with my iPhone, the wifiname and ssid are the same . For example : iPhone hotspot name "Pete 123" SSID "PETE 123"

I'll check the softwareversion on the radar this Friday and get back to this formum with what I've found.
What is the latest software version on the radar?
05-03-17, 08:17 AM
mulderpc,

Software history for the Quantum radomes, as well as the latest software for Quantum radomes may be found here.
05-03-17, 08:40 AM
How can how to determine the version of software installed within each of my products ? ES 97 and Quantum Wifi Radar
05-03-17, 08:54 AM
mulderpc,

Q1. How can how to determine the version of software installed within each of my products ? ES 97 and Quantum Wifi Radar

A1. Please refer to the link to the FAQ provided within my initial response addressing this question. My initial response additionally specified that communications should first be established with the Quantum radome before displaying the diagnostics Select Devices list.
05-05-17, 01:42 PM (This post was last modified: 05-05-17 02:39 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hello Chuck,
the Quantum Radar version is 1.51
the Quntum WiFi version is 1.16

What have i done so far?
I connected the radar using a cable
1. I downgraded to 17.46 , tried to reconnect the radar, but nothing works.
2. I downgraded the wifi encryption to WPA,, then the radar indicates it is connected, but when I opened the radar screen I had to turn the radar on. After a few seconds (approx.30sec) the MFD indicated "no radar connnected/ no radar found". This is strange because just moments before, the same indicationscreen said that a radar was succesfully connected.

The only way to get things working is to disable Wifi encryption, to create an open connection on the MFD.

My neighbour has got the exact same configuration, and exact the same problem.

I've contacted both Raymarine support in the Netherlands and the guy who installed it. The don't seem to have a sollution other then changing the wifi settings to open.

Is this problem know to you?
05-05-17, 03:06 PM (This post was last modified: 05-08-17 09:50 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
mulderpc,

It is recommended that the MFD be operating with v17.46 or higher software ... there should be no need to downgrade the MFD. The problem which you have referenced has not been previously reported within the Americas. As indicated within the FAQ addressing Quantum radome communications problems, one cannot establish a Wi-Fi connection to a Quantum radome if the radome has been networked to the system via a Digital Radar Cable or Quantum Data Cable. Should a
- Quantum Data Cable or Digital Radar Cable have been installed, and
- no other radome or open array pedestal have been installed onboard, and
- it not be possible to use the Radar app to trigger the Quantum Radome ON, and
- cycling power to the Quantum Radome not wake it from sleep mode,
then it may be possible that a poor network communications path between the Quantum radome and the MFD exists. Has the Digital Radar Cable or Quantum Data Cable, or any other of the system's Ethernet network cables been modified in any way (spliced, new plugs added, etc.).

I have also asked that our UK Support Team weigh in on this thread to determine whether they have received any similar reports within and to recommend any further actions should the wired connection not perform as I have specified within this an prior correspondence.
05-08-17, 04:55 AM
Hello Chuck,
i contacted Raymarine support in the Netherlands.

We've followed this procedure:

MFD settings were reset to factory default.
MFD was rebooted
Wifi settings on the MFD were set to WPA encryption
All WiFi connections on the MFD were disconnected
Wifi radar was disconnected from power

after this:
The Quantum Wifi radar was reconnected again via Wifi
The radar connected without problems and with WPA encryption on the MFD enabled.

As i said, my neighbour had the same problem, the above is also applied to his MFD.

What I have not checked is wether an iPad will connect with the same encryption settings, when operating the radar.
05-08-17, 09:22 AM
mulderpc,

Thanks for following up. We're glad to learn that the Reset operation corrected the reported issue.