Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No Pilot error message on P70
05-02-17, 08:47 PM
No Pilot error message on P70
I finished installing a new e95 chart plotter in my boat today. I had an existing Seatalk ng network and EV-100 wheel pilot and those were unchanged in the install other than plugging the e95 into the network.
1. When I booted the unit up, the first message I got was to do updates. I am presuming it did that automatically from the updates I had on a chip in slot 2? It did most of the updates but failed on the update of the EV-1 (I don't remember what the message was).
2. When done, the P70 showed No Pilot. I checked power and the ACU-100 is getting power and the Seatalkng network seems to be working.
Why would the autopilot not be found?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-03-17, 11:10 AM
RE: No Pilot error message on P70
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum daknecht,

The reported issue is quiet likely due to incompatible versions of software within the Evolution autopilot components. It is recommended that
1) a microSD memory card be populated with the a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFD v19.03 software update files (includes software update files for most SeaTalkng devices).
2) all but one of the Evolution autopilot components (i.e. p70S, EV-1, ACU-150) be temporarily disconnected from the SeaTalkng backbone.
3) switch the MFD ON
4) after the Limitations of Use dialog has been acknowledged, then insert the microSD memory card containing the software update files into the MFD's memory card reader
5) command the MFD to check the card for updates
6) if the MFD's software update screen indicates that a software update is available for the autopilot component which is connected to the SeaTalkng backbone, then command the MFD to update the autopilot component's software.
7) when the software update has been completed, temporarily disconnect the autopilot component from the backbone and then connect one of the other autopilot components to the backbone.
8) repeat 5 through seven until each of the autopilot's components have either been updated or have been verified to have the latest software installed.
9) reconnect the remaining autopilot components to the backbone
05-07-17, 06:59 AM (This post was last modified: 05-08-17 10:33 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Chuck- Thanks for the help.
I followed instructions online which differ slightly from what you wrote above. I downloaded the latest software update from the site onto the root level of a SD card and forced update from the chip. It did another update of the MFD, but the EV-1 never showed up on the update list. The red light on the EV-1 continues to blink red. I tried disconnecting other components from the Seatalkng network (you can't disconnect the ACU-100 because that provides power) and it still did not show the EV-1 in the update list (it shows the MFD, ACU-100 and P70 unless they are disconnected). One of the online instructions said to put just the update for the EV-1 on the chip if nothing else works, but I can't find any files that are clearly indicated for the EV-1. Suggestions? Thanks- Dave
05-08-17, 10:37 AM
daknecht,

Q1. "You can't disconnect the ACU-100 because that provides power."
A1. The point which you have raised is incorrect. Neither the ACU-100 nor ACU-150 are designed to supply power to the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. Accordingly, these ACUs may be disconnected from a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone without affecting the power state of the SeaTalkng backbone. It is recommended that the procedure provided within my prior response be used to update the software within each of the Evolution autopilot components.
05-08-17, 09:28 PM (This post was last modified: 05-09-17 07:30 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Chuck- Can you clarify what the red 12v wire from the ACU-100 to the Seatalkng connector is for? In a standard setup would you have two different 12v power supplies to the network backbone?
05-09-17, 07:38 AM
daknecht,

Q1. Can you clarify what the red 12v wire from the ACU-100 to the Seatalkng connector is for?

A1. Unlike the ACU-200 and ACU-400, the SeaTalkng communications circuitry of the ACU-100 and ACU-150 is designed to be powered by, not be supply power to, a SeaTalkng backbone. Accordingly the red wire of the SeaTalkng spur cable which is connected to the ACU-100's and ACU-150's SeaTalkng functions to supply the ACU's communications circuitry with power.

Q2. In a standard setup would you have two different 12v power supplies to the network backbone?
A2. No. In smaller SeaTalkng networks, it is not uncommon for an ACU-200 or ACU-400 to supply power to the SeaTalkng backbone. However, it is considered to be a best practices to power the SeaTalkng backbone via a dedicated power circuit rather than from the ACU-200 or ACU-400. Accordingly, the ACU-200 and ACU-400 are fitted with a SeaTalkng power switch. This switch will be positioned in the OFF position when the SeaTalkng backbone will be powered a dedicated power circuit rather than from the ACU-200 or ACU-400.