Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New i50 not working
05-07-17, 12:38 PM
New i50 not working
Hi I have two st40 depth finders networked via seatalk. The transponder is a in hull P79. The system has had intermittent problems, blinking display and reading --- especially in shallow waters (10 to 5). It it works very well in deep water. It has been suggested that the p79 is not compatible with the st40, lacking sufficient power to the transducer.

Bought a i50 depth and plugged the seatalk to seatalk ng adapter cable to the 3 way junction box, plugged in the 3 wires for the transponder and powered on. Got solid ---. What am I doing wrong.

Thanks
Duane
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-09-17, 10:26 AM
RE: New i50 not working
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Duane,

Q1. It has been suggested that the p79 is not compatible with the st40, lacking sufficient power to the transducer.
A1. It is indeed correct that Raymarine does not recommend use of the P79 In-Hull Transducer with i40 and ST40 instruments, as these instruments are not designed to supply sufficient power to drive in-hull transducers.

Q2. Bought a i50 depth and plugged the seatalk to seatalk ng adapter cable to the 3 way junction box, plugged in the 3 wires for the transponder and powered on. Got solid ---. What am I doing wrong.
A2. The boat must be located in the water when performing instrument depth transducer testing and the depth of the water column beneath the transducer must be at least 3'. Should this be the case, then please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. Should the criteria of the FAQ have been satisfied, then it would be recommended that the instrument be tested with another instrument depth transducer in the manner specified within the FAQ.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply