Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Configuration
05-07-17, 07:21 PM
Configuration
I'm in the process of putting new electronics on my sailboat.

Currently I have an ST60 Wind, ST60 Tri-Data (Depth, Speed, Temp) and an ST6000+ Autopilot Head connected to a Type 300 Course Computer. Currently I have a C70 and an analog radar.

I'm pulling out the C70 and Radar and replacing it with a A95 at the helm and an A65 below at the Nav station. Here is my question

It looks like I can interface all the ST 60s and ST6000 to the A95 with a SeaTalk NG converter. Can I connect both the A65 and the new HD Radar to the back of the A95's two network ports and have the radar available to both devices or do I need to buy a switch?

Thanks,
Jason
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-09-17, 01:23 PM
RE: Configuration
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Jason,

Q1. It looks like I can interface all the ST 60s and ST6000 to the A95 with a SeaTalk NG converter.
A1. While it is recommended that ST60 instruments be adapted with a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit for use with a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFDs, the same is not so for the Type 300 Autopilot Course Computer. It is recommended that the ST6000 autopilot control head be disconnected from the ST60 instruments and that it alone be interfaced to the autopilot course computer's SeaTalk port. The a95 MFD's NMEA 0183 interface would then be interfaced to the autopilot course computer's NMEA 0183 communications interface.

Q2. Can I connect both the A65 and the new HD Radar to the back of the A95's two network ports and have the radar available to both devices or do I need to buy a switch?
A2. It will not be necessary to install an Ethernet Switch as long as you intend to have the a95 MFD is switched ON whenever you desire to view radar on the a65 MFD.
05-09-17, 02:02 PM (This post was last modified: 05-09-17 02:46 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Ok that's some what confusing on the autopilot as I was told the opposite on the phone today with Technical Support. They suggested that all I need to do was to connect the SeaTalk1 to SeaTalkng at the end of my chain since my ST60's are all powered off the autopilot.

I am somewhat concerned about damaging things now if I don't connect them correctly.

BTW do you know if the Visio stencil is available? It would be much easier to draw this and reference a drawing.

Thanks,
Jason
05-09-17, 02:50 PM (This post was last modified: 05-09-17 03:01 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Jason,

Had you been clear to identify that the system's autopilot course computer was a Type 300, then the response which I provided within my initial response should have been provided by phone support. Unfortunately, we don't have Visio components to supply in support of creating a system diagram. Generally, a photo of a hand rendered system diagram will suffice for those seeking diagram confirmations. Should you have concerns about installing the equipment yourself, then please note that Raymarine Certified Installers may be recommended to perform the installation.
05-09-17, 03:03 PM
What is the implication then of getting wind data from the wind head into the autopilot for things like Tacking and Wind Vane mode? Does the data flow across the convert to the a95 and then back down to the Autopilot?
05-09-17, 03:46 PM
Jason,

Q: Does the data flow across the convert to the a95 and then back down to the Autopilot?
A: Yes. Accordingly, the MFD will need to be switched ON when sailing to wind. Autopilot performance with respect to sailing will be as it always has been. While the autopilot will support all of the modes which it had previously, the MFD's Autopilot Controls feature may not be utilized, as this feature is designed for use with autopilot designs which followed the Type 300 autopilot course computer.
05-09-17, 07:38 PM
So If I can find an S3 or an S3G course computer which appears to be a replacement for the Type 300 can I interface via the SeaTalkng converter and get full functionality from the Autopilot. I would consider a new autopilot but this MDF replacement is getting expensive in terms of the other fully functional components I need to replace.
05-10-17, 09:08 AM (This post was last modified: 05-10-17 09:08 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Jason,

Q. So If I can find an S3 or an S3G course computer which appears to be a replacement for the Type 300 can I interface via the SeaTalkng converter and get full functionality from the Autopilot.
A. Yes. A second hand SPX30 autopilot course computer would also be an option.
05-10-17, 10:59 AM
Ok great.

Thank you for all of your assistance. It's been helpful.
05-10-17, 11:15 AM
You're welcome.