Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need Help with C80/DSM30 Ver Upgrade
05-08-17, 03:13 PM
Need Help with C80/DSM30 Ver Upgrade
Hello, I have a C80 (Ver 5.16) connected directly to a DSM30 (Ver 4.10) that worked (saw the sonar icon functioning). I was trying to upgrade the DSM30 to the latest software (Ver 4.20 and Bootload 5.18). I downloaded the 3 files and installed them to the Navionics Compact Flash (CF) card.

It took several tries but the Bootloader finally loaded (only to 50%, but that is normal, I think). I cannot get the upgrade file to load. Instructions say "UPGRADE REMOTE UNIT ON SeaTalkhs" but I don't have SeaTalkhs, my C80 unit said "UPGRADE REMOTE UNIT ON SONAR PORT", so I push that function key and de-power/re-power the DSM30 with no results. I get the screen that shows the % loaded indicators, but they never change from 0%. No function keys or buttons work until I re-cycle the C80 power, then the upgrade screen appears if the CF is inserted or the chart page loads with the CF removed.

Now, the Fishfinder is no longer recognized (the sonar icon shows no signal going from the boat to the bottom) and when I try to identify the software version is says "NO DEVICE". Also, before the light on the bottom of the DSM30 used to be yellow, now it is green?

I'm sure this has happened to someone else, can somebody help me get my Fishfinder back on line. BTW, the B117 transducer is not connected yet, it that makes any difference.

Thanks,
Mark
1987 Gulfstar Sailcruiser
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-09-17, 02:34 PM
RE: Need Help with C80/DSM30 Ver Upgrade
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Mark,

The DSM30 and DSM300 can be challenging to update from a C-Series Classic MFD. That said, in systems where one of these DSMs has been interfaced to a C-Series Classic MFD, it is not recommended that the software within the DSM be updated higher than v4.10. The updates which followed v4.10 were exclusively designed to improve Ethernet communications with Raymarine MFDs having an Ethernet communications interface (ex. E-Series Classic MFDs, C/E-Series Widescreen MFDs, G-Series GPM400s, or a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFDs). As the C-Series Classic MFDs are designed to interface with a DSM via hsb2 communications rather than Ethernet communications, it is not recommended that the software within your DSM be updated.

Should the failed update be causing a problem with your system, then it is recommended that the DSM be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to have its software restored to v4.10.
05-10-17, 08:57 AM (This post was last modified: 05-10-17 09:19 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck,
Thank you for your quick response. A warning on the DSM30/300 Software Update page could have prevented my problem.

Is it possible for you to email me the v4.10 update files to attempt an overwrite of the v4.20 files? I am pretty self-sufficient.

Thanks,
Mark Lucitt
Captain, S/V BAREFOOT
email: 9490730@gmail.com
07-20-17, 06:17 PM
DSM30/Airmar Depth Sounder Issue
Depth sounder works infrequently and sometimes freezes. Sometimes turning off and back on will get it going but only for short time. Is there any way that I can tell if the problem is the transducer or the DSM30? Problem started over a year ago but thankfully I have two depth sounders on board.
07-21-17, 10:15 AM
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum mistertj,

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.