Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Repairable Rudder Reference Unit?
05-09-17, 11:00 AM
Repairable Rudder Reference Unit?
My ST5000+ rudder bar stopped working in Standby mode. I can see it if I turn it on under Setup and when I put it in Auto, but it doesn't display under Standby.

I did the Rudder Reference Tests with a multi-meter and the Red to Green read 4.71 ohms and I'm not reading anything between the other wires, even when turning wheel hardover to hardover.

Is this repairable? Can I cut the wire close to the Rudder Reference Unit and test there to see if there's a break in the wires? If I take the bottom off the unit are there any tests than can be performed? Or does it need to be replaced?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-09-17, 02:19 PM
RE: Repairable Rudder Reference Unit?
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum utilityman,

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing how to test a rudder reference transducer.

Q1. Is this repairable?
A1. No. A rudder reference transducer may be replaced by ordering part M81105 from an authorized Raymarine dealer.

Q2. Can I cut the wire close to the Rudder Reference Unit and test there to see if there's a break in the wires?
A2. Yes.

Q3. If I take the bottom off the unit are there any tests than can be performed?
A3. No.

Q4. Or does it need to be replaced?
A4. Should no breaks in the transducer's cable be detected, then it is recommended that the rudder reference transducer be replace to address the reported problem.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply