Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HS5 + NMEA2K +
05-14-17, 09:16 AM
HS5 + NMEA2K +
If I have read the threads correctly, I think I am on the right track. My plan is to tie all of my Raymarine systems (Radar, GPS, MFD's) into the HS5 Network Switch and then bring my NMEA data (AIS, Yamaha, VHF, Fuel Flow etc) into the NMEA port on my Master MFD.

My other idea was...Could you potentially tie the NMEA info into the High Speed port on the HS5 switch using the SeatalkNG to NMEA adapter?

Or is there a better solution?

Axiom #1 is my Chartplotter Radar
Axiom $2 is my Sonar

Any difference in which I choose as the master?

I have an older A70D that I will use as a back-up and could potentially tie into the net. It has a P58 Transducer hooked to that one and am thinking I might Y-out the connection and route my 50/200 info into my Axiom MFD as well. Do you see any benefit to this? I can always display that data on the A70D and do not necessarily need the additional sonar pic. I will use this as a back-up chartplotter as well, since it has Navionics too.

I now understand why Marine Electronic installers bill what they do. Glad most of my systems are new and compatible :)

Thanks again for all of the great info!!!

~R~
Randall Tyle
Eugene, OR
26' Grady White
"Ten Year Plan"
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-15-17, 03:27 PM
RE: HS5 + NMEA2K +
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Randall,

Q1. My plan is to tie all of my Raymarine systems (Radar, GPS, MFD's) into the HS5 Network Switch and then bring my NMEA data (AIS, Yamaha, VHF, Fuel Flow etc) into the NMEA port on my Master MFD.
A1. Ethernet communications within a system of Raymarine products is limited to the following types of Raymarine products:
- compatible Raymarine MFDs having an Ethernet communications interface
- Quantum radomes, Digital/HD radomes, HD/SuperHD Open Array Pedestals
- compatible fishfinder sounder modules having an Ethernet communications interface (CP100, CP200, CP370, CP470, and CP570)
- compatible SiriusXM Satellite Weather/ Radio Receivers (future)
- Raymarine and compatible FLIR branded thermal cameras
- Raymarine and compatible third party IP cameras

Other products will be interfaced to the system via SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000, SeaTalk, or NMEA 0183 communications. As Axiom MFDs do not feature a NMEA 0183 or SeaTalk communications interface products having such interfaces which need to be interfaced to the system must be interfaced via a NMEA 0183 to SeaTalkng and/or SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter respectively.

Q2. My other idea was...Could you potentially tie the NMEA info into the High Speed port on the HS5 switch using the SeatalkNG to NMEA adapter? Or is there a better solution?
A2. The system is not designed to support the end which you have suggested ... see the response to Q1.

Q2. Axiom #1 is my Chartplotter Radar. Axiom $2 is my Sonar. Any difference in which I choose as the master?
A2. No. However in systems featuring upper and lower steering stations, the Data Master MFD will typically be assigned to the MFD which is most frequently used .

Q3. I have an older A70D that I will use as a back-up and could potentially tie into the net. It has a P58 Transducer hooked to that one and am thinking I might Y-out the connection and route my 50/200 info into my Axiom MFD as well. Do you see any benefit to this?
A3. Raymarine fishfinding products are not designed to be interfaced to transducers in the manner which you have specified ... i.e. the transducer must be interfaced to only one fishfinding product.

Q4 I can always display that data on the A70D and do not necessarily need the additional sonar pic. I will use this as a back-up chartplotter as well, since it has Navionics too.
A4. Fishfinder imagery cannot be shared between an Axiom MFD and an A-Series Classic MFD. However, both may be interfaced to the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone to support sharing of alphanumeric GPS, instrument, navigation, and system state data. As the A-Series Classic MFDs did not support multiple sources for any one type of data, care must be taken to ensure that a system which features an A-Series Classic MFD features a single source of GPS, wind, speed, depth, heading, GPS datum, date, and time.

I now understand why Marine Electronic installers bill what they do. Glad most of my systems are new and compatible :)

Thanks again for all of the great info!!!
05-15-17, 05:07 PM (This post was last modified: 05-16-17 10:19 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
1. OK...I think I have it all straight. So, any issue with the AIS GPS Sensor on the NMEA 2K net interfering with data from my RS150 for my A70D? I have an older GPS receiver I can route directly to the A70D if necessary...However, is it possible to "Specify" which data is to be used?

2. Only system I have that is NMEA0183 is my VHF and I see no benefit from connecting it to the net, do you? It is an older ICOM, but should have GPS data, since it has DSC.

3. This would be the final configuration:

> HS5 connects the RS150 GPS Receiver, Quantum Radar, Axiom 9's x 2

> NMEA 2K has Yamaha Engine Data, EM-Track AIS Transceiver, Fuel Flow and Fuel Levels
- Bring the NMEA data into the RayTalkNG Net via the Master MFD
05-16-17, 10:33 AM
Randall,

Q1. OK...I think I have it all straight. So, any issue with the AIS GPS Sensor on the NMEA 2K net interfering with data from my RS150 for my A70D? I have an older GPS receiver I can route directly to the A70D if necessary...However, is it possible to "Specify" which data is to be used?
A1. AIS receiver/transceivers will not typically transmit GPS data unless configured to do so. Accordingly, the following would be recommended should the A70D be interfaced to the system and the RS150 will be used as the system's GPS sensor:
- the internal GPS sensor within each MFD should be configured OFF
- the AIS receiver / transceiver should be configured to not transmit GPS data via its 38400 BAUD NMEA 0183 port.

Q2. Only system I have that is NMEA0183 is my VHF and I see no benefit from connecting it to the net, do you? It is an older ICOM, but should have GPS data, since it has DSC.
A2. Should
- the third party VHF radio transmit DSC position reports via its NMEA 0183 output port, and
- it be desired that the MFD automatically plot waypoints associated with such reports, and
- should you be able to procure a NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 data bridging device supporting NMEA 0183 DSC and DSE sentences,
then it would be recommended that the VHF radio's NMEA 0183 output port be interfaced to the system via a NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 data bridging device.

Q3. This would be the final configuration:

> HS5 connects the RS150 GPS Receiver, Quantum Radar, Axiom 9's x 2

> NMEA 2K has Yamaha Engine Data, EM-Track AIS Transceiver, Fuel Flow and Fuel Levels
- Bring the NMEA data into the RayTalkNG Net via the Master MFD
A3. Corrections:
- Ethernet: HS5 RayNet Network Switch will be connected to each MFD and the Quantum radome
- SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000: A powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng backbone will be installed onboard and it will be interfaced to the Data Master MFD. The engine system gateway or fuel flow monitors (but not both), AIS receiver/transceiver, Raystar 150 GPS, and tank level sensors will each be interfaced to spur sockets within the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone.
05-16-17, 10:28 PM (This post was last modified: 05-17-17 08:13 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
OK...Now I am a bit confused. Only because everyone uses terms like SeatalkNG and NMEA2K interchangeably. And while the "data" is interchangeable for the most part, the connections are not.

1. Why would I not connect the RS150 GPS receiver to the HS5 switch? If I don't, it will require an adapter to connect it to the existing NMEA2K backbone since it is Raymarine SeatalkNG connectors at both ends. In the diagrams for the HS5 it appears to show the GPS receiver connected to the switch as well.

2. Did you mean to infer that I need a Separate Raymarine SeaTalkNG Backbone in addition to my existing NMEA2K Backbone?

3. Does the HS5 require a SeatalkNG Backbone in addition to the "powered" switch?
05-17-17, 08:26 AM
Q1. Why would I not connect the RS150 GPS receiver to the HS5 switch? If I don't, it will require an adapter to connect it to the existing NMEA2K backbone since it is Raymarine SeatalkNG connectors at both ends. In the diagrams for the HS5 it appears to show the GPS receiver connected to the switch as well.
A1. It is not possible to do as you have suggested because Ethernet and SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 protocols are inherently different communications protocols. As the RS150 is exclusively designed to support SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 communications, it cannot be interfaced to an Ethernet switch and be expected to do anything. Should you have seen a diagram produced by Raymarine indicating that this is possible, then please provide me with the link in order that I may have it corrected.

Q2. Did you mean to infer that I need a Separate Raymarine SeaTalkNG Backbone in addition to my existing NMEA2K Backbone?
A2. No. Should the system have an existing NMEA 2000 backbone, then the backbone may be extended to support integration with the Raymarine components. The extended backbone may be constructed of SeaTalkng networking components or third party NMEA 2000 Networking components. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing connecting a SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 backbone constructed from Raymarine components to a NMEA 2000 backbone which has been constructed from third party NMEA 2000 networking components.

Q3. Does the HS5 require a SeatalkNG Backbone in addition to the "powered" switch?
A3. The HS5 RayNet (Ethernet) Network Switch is in no way interfaced to a SeaTalkng backbone. It is simply interfaced to a switched 12/24VDC power circuit and to each compatible Raymarine product having an Ethernet communications interface ... in this case, each MFD and the Quantum radome.
05-18-17, 05:16 AM (This post was last modified: 05-18-17 07:50 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks again Chuck!

You are indeed correct. The device seen in the diagram was a Sirius/XM Receiver, not a GPS receiver.

So to recap.

Tie the Quantum Radar, Axiom MFD's x 2 and perhaps Sirius receiver all together utilizing the HS5 switch allowing data to be shared between the Two Axiom MFD's

Connect the Master MFD to the existing NMEA2K Backbone to share the Yamaha Engine Data, RS150 GPS receiver, Tank Levels, and AIS. To be clear all of the engine data (Fuel Flow etc) are routed via the engine system gateway.
Revised Diagram - Forgot the Yamaha Engine Data and Fuel Flow etc goto Engine Gateway
05-18-17, 07:58 AM
Randar,

Your written description appears correct. The diagram needs a bit of work. A NMEA 2000 backbone is typically represented as a line having terminators on each end of the line and a series of T connectors to which power and devices will be connected. Regarding the HS5 RayNet Network Switch, one line should be drawn from each MFD and the Quantum radome to the switch.
05-18-17, 10:09 AM (This post was last modified: 05-18-17 10:13 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
What other Raymarine peripherals are compatible with the HS5 switch

Quantum Radar
MFD's
Sirius/XM
FLIR
05-18-17, 10:22 AM
RANDAR:

Q: What other Raymarine peripherals are compatible with the HS5 switch
A: The following Raymarine products feature an Ethernet communications interface, permitting them to be interfaced to a HS5 RayNet Network Switch which in turn has been interfaced to an Axiom MFD:
- Other Compatible MFDs: any model of Axiom MFD and a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFDs which have been updated with LightHouse 3 software
- Radar: Quantum, Digital/HD Digital Radomes, and HD/SuperHD Open Array Pedestals
- Fishfinder Sounder Modules: CP100, CP200, CP370, CP470, CP570
- SiriusXM Satellite Weather/Radio Receivers: SR150, SR6, SR100
- IP Cameras: CAM210, CAM220, CAM200IP
- Thermal Cameras: FLIR AX8, FLIR 100/200 Series Thermal Cameras
- Fusion 700/750 Series Stereo Head Units (future)