Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AIS650 Does Not Trasmit
05-24-17, 07:22 AM
AIS650 Does Not Trasmit
I just had a marina install a new AIS650, and it has not worked since it was installed. The LED on the transceiver changes colors from red to yellow to green. The marina claims the VHF antenna requires replacement to fix the issue, and that the boat may have taken a lightning strike. The marina also stated that the equipment was functional at the time the installation was completed. Is there a way to determine if the boat/equipment actually took a lightning strike, and if the AIS650 software was uploaded successfully? I was told by an independent Raymarine retailer that if the LED ever turns red it must be sent back for repair, as the unit has internal issues. I can not find our vessel, MMSI (367780510), or Call Sign (WDJ4724) anywhere that shows the vessel exists. Any help/thoughts will be appreciated.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-24-17, 08:33 AM (This post was last modified: 05-24-17 08:34 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: AIS650 Does Not Trasmit
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Elba,

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.

The AIS650's Status LED sequence appears to indicate proper operation of the product. Should the Status LED remain green, then the AIS650 believes that
- a MMSI has been programmed into the AIS650,
- the AIS650's internal GPS receiver has acquired a GPS position FIX via the connected passive GPS antenna
- the AIS650 has not been configured to silent mode

The ProAIS2 software supplied with the AIS650 and found here may be installed on a computer. After doing so, the AIS650's USB port may be plugged into a computer to then permit the ProAIS2 software to interface with the AIS650. In doing so, the owner or installer may determine the version of software installed within the AIS650 and determine the antenna VSWR detected by the AIS650. Should the antenna VSWR be determined to be too high, then the AIS650 will transmit alarm messages to the MFD. It would not be typically possible to detect lightning damage without inspecting the circuitry of the AIS650.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply