Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
C80 with New RS130 Antenna
05-24-17, 08:29 PM
C80 with New RS130 Antenna
When connecting the 130 antenna via the seatalkNG conversion kit, can i power the converter off the present sea talk network rather than run a direct 12VDC line to the convertor? Presently the sea talk network is powered from the wheel pilot.

Also - when i upgrade the wheel pilot to an EV-100 - can i continue to power the seatalkng network from the old sea talk network or it advisable to connect a direct power connection to the sea talkng hub at this point?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-25-17, 09:51 AM
RE: C80 with New RS130 Antenna
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Birdman,

While it is technically possible to do as you have suggested, it not considered to be a best installation practice, it may be the most expedient solution for simply adding a Raystar 130 or Raystar 150 alone to a system. It is considered to be a best installation practice to power the SeaTalk bus from the SeaTalkng backbone via a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter to prepare the way for any future expansion or replacement of equipment.
05-25-17, 09:05 PM
Thank you. If I power the seatalk backbone - do I need to do anything to prevent power from the old seatalk connection to get to the new backbone? i'm assuming that since the the sea talk connection is powered - and i connect a 12VDC power source to the bus it will have two sources of power. maybe this is not an issue and the power is just in parallel?
05-26-17, 08:25 AM
Birdman,

As you have indicated your intent to leave the SeaTalk bus powered as it had been, the SeaTalkng Power Cable supplied with the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter should not installed. The ST-STng Converter will receive power from the SeaTalk bus. However, should the SeaTalkng backbone grow to include additional SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 products (ex. an Evolution autopilot, i50/i60/i70 Instruments, etc.), then the SeaTalk bus should be disconnected from its current power source and the SeaTalkng Power Cable be install at the approximate midpoint of the backbone's LEN load. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.