Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
C120W with AirMar P66 Not Recording Speed
06-01-17, 09:07 PM
C120W with AirMar P66 Not Recording Speed
I have a Raymarine C120W with a Airmar P66 transducer and the speed does register on the MFD so I have to rely on SOG. The transducer works and does record water temp. just not speed. Spindle seems fine on Transducer. Am I missing a setting or something on the MFD?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-02-17, 12:08 PM (This post was last modified: 06-21-17 01:45 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: C120W with AirMar P66 Not Recording Speed
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum ProLine23Sport,

Should you have selected the P66 transducer from the transducer list within the Fishfinder application's settings, then the reported issue would be indicative of a failure within the P66 transducer or the DSM30, DSM300, CP300, or CP370 which has been interfaced to the MFD. Should the correct transducer have been selected from the transducer list, then easiest way to fault isolate the problem would be to test the system with another P66 transducer which has been mated to the sounder module to facilitate testing. Should 3-5 seconds of rapidly spinning the test transducer's paddle wheel by hand not result in a non-zero speed being reported, then the sounder module would be deemed to have suffered a failure, necessitating that it be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced or replaced with a CP370.
06-21-17, 06:39 AM (This post was last modified: 06-21-17 01:36 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks Chuck. I checked my settings and found that the speed setting was set to none. I also noticed that I could not find my transducer from the list of options on the screen. Is there a chart I can reference to see what selection I should use?
06-21-17, 01:44 PM
ProLine23Sport,

The Speed Transducer selection menu should be configured to None when the system has been interfaced to a fishfinder depth transducer which features a built-in speed paddle wheel (ex. P66, P58, B744V, B744VL, etc.). The Speed Transducer selection menu is only used when the cable of the fishfinder depth transducer has been interfaced to a Y-Cable which in turn has been interfaced to a separate speed/temp transducer (ex. ST69, etc.). Should the Speed Transducer menu have been configured as specified above and the Speed data item is being reported by the system as -.-., then it would appear that either the CP370 has suffered a failure or In that your P66 has suffered a failure of its speed transducer. Please refer to the actions specified within my prior response addressing how to proceed.
06-21-17, 07:27 PM
Ok Chuck, I disabled the speed setting. On my transducer settings list, I show the following options:

B256/M256
B260/M260/SS560
R99/R199
B258
SS270/B264
B164
R209/R299

I check the product ID on the cable connected to the DSM and it says P66. Which is of the above 7 options should I select for the transducer?

Also, I have a DSM30, not DSM300 as I previously stated.

Thanks,.
06-22-17, 07:41 AM
ProLine23Sport,

The DSM30 is incorrectly responding with a list of 1kW transducers to select from rather than a list of 600W transducers to select from. Should a DSM Reset have been commanded from the Fishfinder settings and should the list of 600W transducers (will include the P66) not be displayed, then it would indicate a fault within the DSM30's circuitry necessitating that it be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced or replaced with a CP370.
07-30-17, 04:58 PM (This post was last modified: 07-31-17 07:55 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
So when in the water, the correct transducer shows up. Still not recording speed, but everything else works, temp, depth, fish, etc. No speed.

So I took the screws off the top of the P66 that hold the speed wheel. I noticed that there no wires connecting the speed wheel to anything. Is that normal?
07-31-17, 08:06 AM
ProLine23Sport,

Mechanical transducers do not have wires attached to the paddlewheel. The design of these transducers utilize a coil within the body of the transducer and magnets within the paddlewheel itself. Rotation of the paddle while causes electrical pulses to be generated an transmitted through the transducer's speed leads. Failure of the transducer to produce such speed pulses is typically caused by fouling of the transducer, water ingress into the transducer's speed sensing coil, or damage to the transducer's cable. In the case of a P66 transducer the problem would be rectified by replacing the transducer with another E66054 P66 Transducer.