Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DSM 300 Issues
06-06-17, 01:11 PM
DSM 300 Issues
The Airmar Transducer - B60-200-RAY 50/200 (depth + temperature)
connects to the DSM300, and the DSM connects to the E120. This arrangement has worked fine for a number of years, but last summer it started to sound loud "beeps" preiodically and lose the signal to the E120. In addition, the indicator light on the DSM would go from green to orange. Then, after couple minutes, things would get back to normal. The situation continues this year.
Suspecting the xducer cable plug and /or DSM socket, quite often I can correct the situation by moving the cable slightly, so I installed a plastic tie on the cable just before the connector. It seems to help, but not always.My guess would be a defective xducer connector or socket on the DSM.
Any suggestions as to how I can identify and correct the culprit?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-06-17, 02:48 PM (This post was last modified: 06-06-17 02:51 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: DSM 300 Issues
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum seeray96,

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. I would recommend starting with the DSM's power cable. Should wiggling the Power Cable cause the DSM to restart and should replacement of the cable not correct the problem (i.e. wiggling its power cable continue to cause the DSM to restart), then it would be recommended that the DSM be replaced with a CP370.
06-13-17, 02:51 PM
One more DSM factor with the DSM300 -

Just noticed that quite often when there is no depth reading on the E120
from the DSM, the MFD does show the boat icon (next to the satellite icon) with active radio waves travelling downward from the hull bottom. This leads me to believe that the B60-200-RAY is functioning sometimes when the DSM300 isn't!
06-14-17, 09:43 AM
seeray96,

When the reported issue occurs, what specific messages (if any) are reported on the Fishfinder application's screen?
06-14-17, 10:02 AM
Hi -

I assume you mean the E120. The Relative Motion display at the top of the screen shows Depth -.-ft and Heading --- 00ºT
06-14-17, 10:49 AM (This post was last modified: 06-19-17 02:08 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Seeray96,

Q: I assume you mean the E120.
A: I do indeed mean the E120. However, I was referring to the Fishfinder application page of the E120. searay96,

Q: I assume you mean the E120.
A: I do indeed mean the E120. However, I was referring to the Fishfinder application page of the E120. I need to know what messages are being displayed by the Fishfinder application page/pane when the alert is sounded. You may want to consider configuring the MFD to display a splitscreen Chart/Fishfinder page and then observe the page's Fishfinder application pane when the problem is reported ... I am seeking to identify what message is being reported when the failure occurs.
06-15-17, 08:46 PM
Chuck -

I did not notice any messages for the DSM 300, but I'm not sure how to get at them. I did note the software version is 3.12. On and off was sporadic, but it seemed somewhat related to my shifting the cable feeds to the DSM input. I think it might be a good idea to remove the DSM 300, then open the shell to get at the connecters to make sure everything is tight.
Comments?
06-19-17, 02:11 PM
seeray96,

Per my earlier response, I had requested that you configure the MFD to display a Fishfinder application page or pane. Should you hold the MFD's PAGE button pressed for approximately two seconds, the Select Page Set dialog will be displayed, permitting you to change page sets to one which includes the Fishfinder application. This page should be observed for any messages reported when the reported issue occurs.
06-19-17, 08:40 PM
I set the MFD screen so that it was 50% fishfinder, but no messages appeared.

If I switch to the AXIOM, will I still need the DSM300? From what I see on the Internet, the 300 is not a good long-term bet. Also, will I still be able to use the Airmar B60-200-RAY xducer? As I mentioned earlier, I do not use my boat for fishing.
06-20-17, 08:30 AM (This post was last modified: 06-20-17 08:30 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
seeray96,

Most DSM30/300s in the field have proven to have excellent reliability and performance. However, should it be failing and you be considering to replace the E-Series Classic MFD with a Axiom MFD, then it would be recommended that an Axiom DV MFD or Axiom RV MFD be purchased, as these MFDs may be adapted to use transducers which have been designed for use with the DSM30/300. This would eliminate the need for the DSM within the system.