Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DSM 300 Issues
06-20-17, 09:47 AM
RE: DSM 300 Issues
The more I get into this, the more I am attracted to th 12" AXIOM RV. Would my current Airmar B60-200-RAYbe adaptable for the new MFD?
Thanks for your help, Chuck.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-20-17, 12:00 PM
seeray96,

Per my last response, should the presently installed transducer have been used with your DSM30/300, then it may indeed be adapted to be mated to an Axiom DV or Axiom RV MFD.
06-20-17, 12:08 PM
Thanks, Chuck.

My next step is to decide which 12" AXIOM I'll purchase (and mount).
06-20-17, 12:15 PM
You're welcome.
06-27-17, 01:54 PM
One more comment on DSM300-
I mentioned earlier that while the DSM seemed non-functional, with flashing orange LED and no depth reading on the E120, the E120 display showed the boat icon with transducer waves eminating from under the boat. When I disconnected the power cable to verify DC, it measured +12.9 V, and of course the boat icon stopped showing transducer output and the orange led went blank, of course. Then, after reconnecting the 12VDC cable, the boat icon showed transducer output again. Even though the pulsing orange led was lit 90% of the time, the other 10% resulted in a green led with depth readings.
06-27-17, 02:19 PM
seeray96,

Should the DSM300's Status LED be cycling between periods of amber and green, then it would indicate a problem with the DSM300's power cable or the DSM300 internal circuitry. As indicated, the Axiom DV and Axiom RV may each be adapted to be mated directly to the currently installed B60 transducer.
06-28-17, 12:03 PM
Thanks Chuck. Now I need to decide between the RV and DC. Is there a site I can go to to find a comparison between the two models? I don't want a "stripped-down" version, but I'd like to avoid options that I don't need (and possibly add later).
06-28-17, 12:57 PM
seeray96,

With the exception that the Axiom RV MFDs having RealVision fishifinder circuitry and accordingly having support for RealVision 3D features, the Axiom RV and Axiom DV MFDs support an identical list of features and have identical interfaces. Accordingly the choice of which to purchase should simply come down to whether RealVision 3D feature are desired now or in the future.
06-29-17, 12:50 PM
The summer here is somewhat "iffy" on the Niagara River and Lake Erie.
I'm concerned with getting too deeply involved with the electronics refurb, so I'm thinking of just dealing with the mfd (AXIOM with the new charting capabilities) and dsm. The RS130 would connect directly to the AXIOM, as would the transducer. The radar is a Raytheon R40XX, and currently is a "stand alone." I assume I could leave all other devices as is (Corepack s3, S60 Tridata, Fluxgate compass, Raypilot 650) until I get into "phase 2).
Does this sound reasonable?
06-29-17, 01:50 PM
SeaRay96,

Q1. The RS130 would connect directly to the AXIOM
A1. This is not quite correct ... the RS130 and MFD would each be interfaced as spurs to a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng backbone. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing how a simple backbone may be constructed.

Q2. as would the transducer.
A2. This also is not quite correct. The B60-20-RAY would require an adapter to be mated to the Transducer socket of an Axiom RV MFD or Axiom DV MFD. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.

Q3. The radar is a Raytheon R40XX, and currently is a "stand alone." I assume I could leave all other devices as is (Corepack s3, S60 Tridata, Fluxgate compass, Raypilot 650) until I get into "phase 2).
Does this sound reasonable?
A3. The may indeed be reasonable as long as there is no immediate requirement to use the autopilot's Track mode feature. The autopilot's Auto mode feature (i.e. ability to steer the vessel to a user specified heading entered in to the autopilot control head) is designed to function without the autopilot being interfaced to the MFD.