Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dragonfly 5 Pro sonar log file problem
04-20-17, 09:42 PM
Dragonfly 5 Pro sonar log file problem
My DF5Pro is configured to save sonar logs (set to ON in chart options). But when I log into my Navionics acct to upload sonar logs, only the last hour or so of the last trip is actually uploaded. I typically fish for 4-6 hrs per trip, and only upload to Navionics once or twice per month. So what is happening to the other 40+ hrs of sonar logs?

In trying to troubleshoot this problem I looked at the files on the bundled Navionics+ chip. But I don't know what files are supposed to be there so it's hard to know if I am missing something. Can you provide some guidance on why my DF5PRO is not logging or uploading bathymetric data properly?

Thanks

Jim
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-21-17, 02:32 PM
RE: Dragonfly 5 Pro sonar log file problem
Jim,

I would recommend contacting the Navionics support team for issues related to uploading your logs. With respect to the logs stored onto the Navionics chart card, you will find the log (DepthInfoLog.sdf) in the folder path Navionic/UserData. While the file features a date stamp, should this file be provided to Navionics, then they may be able specify the starting and ending dates/times embedded within the log.
05-08-17, 10:35 AM (This post was last modified: 05-10-17 12:48 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck,

I have been working with the Navionics tech support since receiving your reply above, They say that my log files are uploading correctly and have no explanation for why only part of the trip is included in the DepthInfoLog.sdf files. Per their instructions, I logged an entire trip on my DF5Pro and simultaneously on my Navionics Mobile app, and uploaded both to their tech support. The course maps are identical for the last hour or so, but the DF is missing everything prior to that. They think the problem is with the DF and that I should get back in touch with Raymarine for how to correct this.

I noticed that all but the most recent 2 of my DepthInfoLog.sdf files on the chip have the same date, which is probably the date of my last Navionics upload. It is confusing, because it looks as if every log ever created stays on the chip but gets stamped with a new file date every time I upload. I would have thought that once a log is uploaded to Navionics it is no longer needed and would be erased from the chip. How is this file handling between Navionics and Raymarine supposed to work? Also, the files all seem to be about the same size, around 260Kb, regardless of whether a trip was 2 hrs or 10 hrs. How can that be?

Do you recommend that I do a "factory reset" on my chip to see if that gets things working properly again? Other ideas?

Jim
05-10-17, 01:12 PM
Jim,

No explanation can be provided for the missing data, as we have been unable to duplicate the reported problem and this is the first such instance of this problem.

Q1. I noticed that all but the most recent 2 of my DepthInfoLog.sdf files on the chip have the same date, which is probably the date of my last Navionics upload. It is confusing, because it looks as if every log ever created stays on the chip but gets stamped with a new file date every time I upload. I would have thought that once a log is uploaded to Navionics it is no longer needed and would be erased from the chip.
A1. By design, sonar logs are not are not erased from a Navionics chart card ... this is partially because sonar logs require very little storage (approximately 20kB/hr). As the same sonar logging feature is used by Raymarine's MFD's running LightHouse II software to additionally support the SonarChart Live feature and support use of the logged data prior to Navionics cartography updates.

Q2. How is this file handling between Navionics and Raymarine supposed to work? Also, the files all seem to be about the same size, around 260Kb, regardless of whether a trip was 2 hrs or 10 hrs. How can that be?
A2. See the response to Q1. Like the Archive.fsh waypoint/route/track files previously supported by Raymarine's MFDs and Dragonfly displays, any sonar log created will initially be created with the file size which you have specified. This file will fill with data at the rate reported within the response to Q1 until the quantity of data stored therein exceeds that 260kB, at which point the reported file size should continue to grow.

Q3. Do you recommend that I do a "factory reset" on my chip to see if that gets things working properly again? Other ideas?
A3. Given that we have been unable to duplicate the reported issue, it is recommended that you verify that the Dragonfly display has been updated with the latest software update. If so, then you may want to consider performing a System Settings Reset to the Dragonfly display to have it perform as expected. The is also a possibility that the Dragonfly display's software may not be properly detecting that the Navionics Chart card has an active Freshest Data Updates subscription and therefore block saving sonar logs. This problem was only recently corrected in LightHouse II v19.03 software for MFDs. The workaround had been to insert the chart card only after the display has been powered ON and has completed initialization.
05-10-17, 01:56 PM (This post was last modified: 05-10-17 02:24 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks for the followup.
Will performing a system settings reset erase my waypoints?
I let my subscription to Freshest Data expire and did not renew until last month. Is it possible that the lapse in subscription is responsible for this mis-behavior? My subscription has been active since last month but still logs created under the active subscription are not complete. (My lapse in subscription was deliberate because my uploads did not seem to change the maps at all. To save money, I continued uploading trip logs while the subscription was inactive with the hope that when I renewed the downloaded chart maps would "catch up". They never did, though).
05-10-17, 02:41 PM
Jim,

Q1. Will performing a system settings reset erase my waypoints?
A1. There are two types of resets commands: "System Settings Reset" and "System Settings & Data Reset". Only the latter should cause erasure of waypoints and tracks. That said, is it considered to prudent to export waypoint and track data to a microSD memory card regularly and before executing either of these commands.

Q2. Is it possible that the lapse in subscription is responsible for this mis-behavior?
A2. It is indeed likely that the subscription lapse may have been responsible for the reported issue.
06-20-17, 02:01 PM
Chuck -
I have updated the DF5Pro firmware to the latest 12.10 (from 12.09).
I did the system reset.
I updated the Navionics maps, sonar maps and community uploads.
I took several trips and just uploaded the logs to Navionics moments ago.
Once again, both logs only included the final leg of my fishing trips! About 1 hr (of 4hr trip) in one case, and about the final 30 min (of 5 hr trip) in the other.
Navionics has confirmed that they are processing everything that they are receiving.
This is getting real frustrating, since I am losing more than 75% of my log files somewhere.
What do you advise next?
Jim
06-21-17, 08:20 AM
Jim,

I have provided the support team member responsible for reporting to the fishfinder product group of you problem. He will be reaching out to you via e-mail to request the content of the folder containing the logs, the logs from your Navionics chart card, the capacity of the chart card, amount of memory consumed by the Navionics cartography, logs, and any other data saved to the chart card.