Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SeaTalk NG to NMEA connections
03-10-16, 09:47 PM
SeaTalk NG to NMEA connections
I purchased the i70 instrument package for my sailboat mostly to add wind data but also to get 2nd depth sounder as the current one is old and could go soon.

The boat has a SIMRAD AP11 autopilot. I'd like to feed the wind data to the pilot's NMEA 0183 input to be able to steer course in wind mode. I've been told by my local raymarine dealer that the NMEA to STNG converter kit (part E70196) should allow me to convert the wind data to NMEA 0183. Has anybody used this kit for similar purposes?

One of the nice features of the i70 display is the AIS screen. I'd like to feed the AIS data from my Digital Yacht AIT2000 transponder to the i70. The AIS data can be output in NMEA 0183 or NMEA 2000 format. I was planning to use the Device Net adaptor cable (part A06045) to convert the NMEA 2000 data to STNG. Has anyone tried that? any recommendations?

Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-11-16, 10:33 AM (This post was last modified: 03-11-16 10:36 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: SeaTalk NG to NMEA connections
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum jdelarue,

You have been advised incorrectly, when updated with v1.21 or later SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter software, the converter will support transmission of a limited set of 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 GPS sentences (principally targeted at satisfying the requirements of a DSC VHF radio having only a NMEA 0183 interface) when the converter has been interfaced to a SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 source of GPS data.

Specically, the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter will output / transmit (tx) the following 4800 BAUD NMEA0183 v4.10 sentences:

- GGA - If L/L is present on STng, then GGA will Tx only populating data fields that are available, i.e. time/date etc.
- RMC - If L/L is present then RMC will Tx only populating data fields that are available, i.e. time/date etc.
- VTG - If SOG and/or COG valid in 129026 then VTG will Tx only populating data fields that are available, i.e. variation etc.

In this case, it should have been recommended that a third party SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 to NMEA 0183 data bridging device (ex. Actisense NGW-1-STNG, etc.) have been interfaced to the SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 backbone to support bridging SeaTalkng wind data to NMEA 0183.

In order to display AIS data on an i70 MFID, each of the following criteria must be satisfied:
- the SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 backbone must be interfaced to a source of AIS data (ex. AIS350/650, AIT2000, etc.)
- the SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 backbone must be interfaced to a source of GPS data
- the SeaTakng/NMEA 2000 backbone must be interfaced to a source of heading data or the vessel must be underway and making way to permit COG to be substituted for heading.
04-20-16, 06:24 PM
One more question regarding this instrument package. I understand that if I connect the ITC5 to power, it will power the transducers/instruments. What about the i70? do I need to bring power to the display or will it get from the itc5 as well?

thanks!
04-21-16, 09:33 AM
jdelarue,

The i70 MFID is designed to be installed as a spur to a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng backbone. Correspondingly, power inserted into the backbone via the iTC-5 will supply power to the SeaTalkng backbone which will in turn supply power to the i70 MFID.