Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help with replacement of SL70C MFD
06-20-17, 01:16 PM
Help with replacement of SL70C MFD
I would like to replace my SL70C MFD with a new touch type unit. I have connected to it a Pathfinder radome and Smartpilot ST8001 and a raystar GPS receiver. Can you tell me which available units would be compatible with the radome & auto pilot.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-23-17, 02:09 PM
RE: Help with replacement of SL70C MFD
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Mike,

While it may be possible that your systems autopilot and GPS sensor may be adapted for use with one of Raymarine's currently manufactured MFDs, the currently installed radome may not be used with Raymarine's currently manufactured MFDs.

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing replacement of a Pathfinder Series Display with an a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFD.

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing replacement of a Pathfinder Series Display with an Axiom MFD.

Should a complete lists of the models of currently installed Raymarine components be provided then it may be possible to provide greater clarity concerning compatibility with adaptation.
07-19-17, 07:14 AM (This post was last modified: 07-19-17 07:52 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Chuck,
Here is my electronics list:

SL70C MFD
Radome - 18" 2D
Auto Pilot - Smartpilot ST8001
Raystar GPS Receiver (120 0r 112 per book)
Suunto Compass (95 or 15 per book)

Your guidance would be greatly appreciated.

The reason I'm going through this is that my current MDF has locked-up. I've tried the tricks found in the forum to get it to restart but no luck. It will turn on then goes into a continual start-up loop and I can't turn it off. I have to turn off the power to the helm. My other thought is, if there aren't current MDF's available that will work with my Radome, Auto pilot & compass, what older units would use the same wiring as the SL70C. Also, if I were to send my current locked-up MDF in for repair, do you know how much this typically would cost. Just trying not to have to replace everything.

Thanks for your help.
07-19-17, 08:04 AM
Mike,

Q1. Here is my electronics list:
- SL70C MFD
- Radome - 18" 2D
- Auto Pilot - Smartpilot ST8001
- Raystar GPS Receiver (120 0r 112 per book)
- Suunto Compass (95 or 15 per book)
A1. As indicated within my initial response, the radome would need to be replace. Depending upon the model of autopilot course computer (not specified) which has been installed onboard, it may be possible to adapt is along with the GPS sensor for use with one of Raymarine's currently manufactured MFDs.

Q2. my current MDF has locked-up. I've tried the tricks found in the forum to get it to restart but no luck. It will turn on then goes into a continual start-up loop and I can't turn it off. I have to turn off the power to the helm. if I were to send my current locked-up MDF in for repair, do you know how much this typically would cost.
A2. Unfortunately, Raymarine can no longer provide parts and service for this family of radar displays

Q3. My other thought is, if there aren't current MDF's available that will work with my Radome, Auto pilot & compass, what older units would use the same wiring as the SL70C.
A3. The second hand display being sought may be a SL70, SL72, R70, RL70, RL70C, R80, or RL80C display (with or without RC option).
07-20-17, 09:22 PM (This post was last modified: 07-21-17 07:49 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Chuck,
I have found two RL70C units one is an HSB1 and the other is HSB2. Would either work?
07-21-17, 07:52 AM
Mike,

While both would function as a replacement for radar, should your SL70C be equipped with a Raychart reader, then it is recommended that you look at your C-Map chart cards. Should any of the labels on the card indicate that the card is a NT+ chart card, then the extra memory and software of the hsb2 RL70C would make it the display of choice. However, should the labels on the card indicates that the card is a NT chart card, then either display will do.
07-21-17, 09:35 AM (This post was last modified: 07-21-17 10:28 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks for the advice Chuck. Your assistance has been extremely helpful. Can you tell me the difference between the SL unit and the RL unit.
07-21-17, 10:27 AM
Mike,

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. SL Pathfinder Series displays lacked the hsb or hsb2 communications interface.