Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
C90W fix loss and stops goto waypoint
07-06-17, 09:22 AM
C90W fix loss and stops goto waypoint
I have a C90W running version 2.20
It is using the internal GPS and is mounted on the pedestal in the cockpit below a sunbrella bimini.
I sail in Southern New England.

It intermittently loses a position fix and I get the flashing warning. I am not worried about the occasional fix loss (I understand installing a raystar antenna may reduce this problem), but am very much concerned by the fact that when a fix is lost, I lose my goto course. Why doesn't it resume following a goto once a fix is re-acquired (usually takes 30 seconds or so)?
Is this a settings issue, software issue, or design flaw?
The latest update (ver2.35) appears to only involve AIS.

Thanks for any help.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-06-17, 02:39 PM
RE: C90W fix loss and stops goto waypoint
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum kwf05001,

Q. I am not worried about the occasional fix loss (I understand installing a raystar antenna may reduce this problem), but am very much concerned by the fact that when a fix is lost, I lose my goto course. Why doesn't it resume following a goto once a fix is re-acquired (usually takes 30 seconds or so)?
A. Raymarine products of this generation received position updates at 1Hz from either an internal or an external GPS sensor. The MFD will actually permit several successive GPS position reports to be missed before alarming and suspending navigation. For safety purposes an autopilot's Track mode is suspended after sustained loss of GPS Fix. The software design of Raymarine MFDs does not included automatic resumption of navigation once it has been suspended.

As you have suggested, GPS position FIX loss with a MFD whose internal GPS sensor is either not receiving sufficient GPS signal strength is failing, may be addressed by configuring the MFD's internal GPS to OFF, and then interfacing the MFD to an external GPS sensor supporting SeaTalkng (ex. Raystar 150 GPS) or NMEA 0183 communications.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply