Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ray60 not getting position data
07-18-17, 08:15 AM (This post was last modified: 07-18-17 08:18 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Ray60 not getting position data
I am hoping to get some help diagnosing the lack of position data getting to my new Ray60. I have a C80 Classic MFD so my interface is NMEA0183 direct from the C80 to the Ray60.

My connection is as follows:

C80 Out+ Yellow ----- VHF IN+ Yellow
C80 Out- Brown ----- VHF IN- Green

The C80 DSC output is set to NMEA 4800 baud rate and the VHF input is also set at Standard Speed.

Are there any additional settings in either the C80 or the Ray60 that I should try? Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Dave
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-18-17, 08:38 AM
RE: Ray60 not getting position data
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Dave,

The wire connection and MFD NMEA 0183 port setting are indeed correct. It is recommended that you verify that the MFD is reporting that it is receiving a GPS position FIX and that the MFD's NMEA 0183 Output has been configured to transmit all listed NMEA 0183 sentences. Should this fail to address the problem, then it would be recommended that a wraparound test of the MFD's NMEA 0183 port be performed. Should the MFD's NMEA 0183 port indicate that sentences are being received, then the MFD's NMEA 0183 communications interface would be deemed operational and the VHF radio should be replaced or sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced. The wraparound test procedure for A/C/E-Series Classic MFDs is similar to the wraparound test for a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFDs operating with LightHouse II software.
07-18-17, 09:43 AM
Thanks Chuck. I confirm that the MFD is getting a GPS position fix and that the MFD's NMEA 0183 Output has been configured to transmit all listed NMEA 0183 sentences.

I will perform the wraparound test and report back. I saw in one of your old posts an example of the sentence transmission during the wraparound test. Is this along the lines of what I should be looking for during the test:

$ECWPL,4202.320,N,07013.533,W,Waypoint 18*47
$ECWPL,4201.907,N,07013.004,W,Waypoint 19*4B
$ECWPL,4202.161,N,07013.344,W,Waypoint 20*4D
$ECWPL,4202.706,N,07013.917,W,Waypoint 21*47
$ECWPL,4202.715,N,07013.961,W,Waypoint 22*47
$ECWPL,4202.555,N,07013.770,W,Waypoint 23*4E
$ECWPL,4203.331,N,07014.576,W,Waypoint 24*4F...

Dave
07-18-17, 10:41 AM
Dave,

Sentences such as you have shown should indeed be listed. The key is to ensure that they are preceded by RX to indicate that the sentence was received rather than transmitted (TX).
07-24-17, 08:11 AM
Thanks Chuck. I ran the wraparound test. Sentences were only scrolling in Tx mode, not in Rx mode so I gather that means the port needs servicing.

1. I assume there is no other fix short of returning the unit to service the NMEA0183 port, correct?

2. If 1 is correct, I will likely look to upgrade my MFD in the off season instead of servicing the port, likely with the es97 or es127, whichever fits the space I have better. I think you previously indicated in my shopping list post that those units are compatible with an external transducer using transducer adapter E66066 so at least I would not have to replace my transducer or HD250DSM, both of which are more than adequate for my needs.

If I replace my MFD this off season, I will need to start building a Seatalk backbone. I have done before on my last boat so I have a basic understanding of the system. My further questions are:

3. Do my ST290 Speed/Depth, ST7001+ Auto Pilot and SL72 Radar have conversion cables so they can be integrated into a Seatalk network? Or are those units all going to need to be upgraded?

4. If they need to be upgraded, can I at least keep my SL72 Radar, which has its own dedicated screen, separate from the Seatalk system and upgrade it at a later time?

Thanks

Dave
07-24-17, 10:48 AM
Dave,

Q1. I assume there is no other fix short of returning the unit to service the NMEA0183 port, correct?
A1. The only way to address the operation of the MFD's NMEA 0183 port would be to send it to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced. You may want to try connecting the autopilot course computer's NMEA 0183 OUT2 port to the VHF radio to supply it with GPS data. Alternatively, the VHF radio may be interfaced to a RayStar 150 GPS Sensor to supply it with GPS data.

Q2. If 1 is correct, I will likely look to upgrade my MFD in the off season instead of servicing the port, likely with the es97 or es127, whichever fits the space I have better. I think you previously indicated in my shopping list post that those units are compatible with an external transducer using transducer adapter E66066 so at least I would not have to replace my transducer or HD250DSM, both of which are more than adequate for my needs.

If I replace my MFD this off season, I will need to start building a Seatalk backbone. I have done before on my last boat so I have a basic understanding of the system. My further questions are:
A2. See the response to Q1. Regarding replacing the MFD, the DSM250 may not be used with the new system and the currently installed transducer will be mated to the MFD's transducer socket using the adapter which you have specified.

Q3. Do my ST290 Speed/Depth, ST7001+ Auto Pilot and SL72 Radar have conversion cables so they can be integrated into a Seatalk network? Or are those units all going to need to be upgraded?
A3. Some ST290 products (i.e. pods and displays having a 3-Pin SeaTalk socket) may be retained for use with a currently manufactured MFD. Depending upon the model of autopilot course computer which is installed onboard, it will either be interfaced to the new MFD via a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter or via NMEA 0183. Pathfinder Series Displays such as the SL72 are not designed to share radar imagery or C-Map cartography with Raymarine's current generation of products. While it is possible that alphanumeric GPS, instrument, and system state data may be shared with the Pathfinders Series Displays, it is generally recommended that communication be one way ... from the new generation of equipment via NMEA 0183 to the Pathfinder Series Display.

Q4. If they need to be upgraded, can I at least keep my SL72 Radar, which has its own dedicated screen, separate from the Seatalk system and upgrade it at a later time?
A4. Yes. See the response to Q3.
07-24-17, 10:57 AM
Thanks Chuck. Very helpful.

Do you have a cable number for the Auto-Pilot NMEA 0183 OUT2 that terminates in 4 NMEA 0183 wires that could be connected to the VHF? If so, could you give me the color match if it is different from the C80's 0183 cable?

Dave
07-24-17, 11:26 AM
Dave,

Q. Do you have a cable number for the Auto-Pilot NMEA 0183 OUT2 that terminates in 4 NMEA 0183 wires that could be connected to the VHF? If so, could you give me the color match if it is different from the C80's 0183 cable?
A. Raymarine does not offer the a cable specific to this purpose. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. As autopilot course computers are not designed to bridge NMEA 0183 DSC and DSE NMEA 0183 sentences to SeaTalk, only two wires would be required to connect the course computer's NMEA 0183 output port to the VHF radio's NMEA 0183 input port.
07-24-17, 11:30 AM
Got it. I misread you instructions before as suggesting to connect the AP control head's Seatalk port to the VHF NMEA0183 wires.

I see now that you were actually suggesting trying to connect the VHF NMEA0183 wires directly to the AP course computer's second NMEAport. So as you say that looks like just two wires to make the connection.

I will try that and see if I can't get my DSC feature functioning at least for the rest of the season.

Thanks

Dave
07-24-17, 11:47 AM
You're welcome.