Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crash Log from Axiom 9 for your records
07-18-17, 11:31 AM (This post was last modified: 07-27-17 12:16 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Crash Log from Axiom 9 for your records
Thought a crash log from the field may be helpful for your development and troubleshooting teams.

Out of four crashes when the using the Chart App, three occurred when using the zoom gesture on the screen (not pressing the zoom button). The fourth crash just happened with no user interaction with the screen. Three crashes appeared to be a hard reboot) (like a power off/on because I think I had to hit the OK acknowledge button on boot up) and the last was a soft boot that took only a few seconds and no acknowledgment required. THe last crash may have occured after upgrading to LHIII 3.00.66. Only thing on STng backbone was the Axiom 9 and i60 Wind Instrument. Power connections all good and running off a bank of house 4Ds.

Forum posts indicate a crashing MFD is caused by bad chart app data (Navionics+ bundled with Axiom). I have reloaded the uSD card with full chartset again and will monitor for further crashes. Was able to write screen grabs to the chart card and read them on a PC. But haven't tried to read anything from the card yet on the Axiom other than the charts.

Sent a note to Navionics about how I can be sure that an update to the card is truly an update and that some prior files are not reused if not needing update.
Dan
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-27-17, 12:14 PM
RE: Crash Log from Axiom 9 for your records
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Dan,

Raymarine will shortly be releasing v3.1.96 LightHouse III software update for Axiom MFDs which is believed to address the reported issues. The link provided above has been approved to distribute in advance of the release. Should the problems persist after having updated the Axiom MFD's software, then please respond accordingly and attach the associated crash logs.

Thanks.
07-27-17, 07:41 PM
AWESOME! Thanks Chuck and thanks to the whole staff. This is customer service!

I downloaded the .iso file and will upgrade my Axiom on Friday. After the crashes I got the Navionics+ chart files below 2GB in size on the uSD card. It was 5GB. I loaded only the charts in waters where I sail (70MB).

Last time out, using the smaller chart file, I performed a power cycle (turned off breaker and counted to 5 and switched back on) with the Axiom running the chart app. When the MFD first powered itself back up, it skipped the two splash screens (Axiom and LHIII), and presented a screen with four boot options, "bootloader" was one option I seem to recall. There was an obvious selection that booted LH 3 okay and it ran without a glitch all day. Maybe my power cycle duration was the magic number.

Also noted last time out that when panning or zooming a chart on the chart app that the mfd quickly displays a low res chart and then refreshes it with the full res chart in a flash (normal ops and most time it straight to high res if not a big jump in pan or zoom). On a few occasions, small sections of the displayed chart never updated to full resolution until the chart zoom level was changed. Was in course up, relative motion, full offset. I realized I had turned off chart boundary lines so couldn't tell if the small, low res portion, was a new chart that was being read in from the SD card. I'm assuming Navionics is providing a microSD card with adequate read speed...

Q1 Are crashes appended or should I delete the crash file prior to the upgrade?
Q2 Do I need to also load the official release of LH III when it is released in a few days?

Thanks again to you and the team.
07-28-17, 10:42 AM (This post was last modified: 07-28-17 10:44 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Dan,

Q1. Are crashes appended or should I delete the crash file prior to the upgrade?
A1. It is recommended that any crash logs be deleted after updating the MFD's software to permit any new issues and the generated logs to exclusively reflect the latest software.

Q2. Do I need to also load the official release of LH III when it is released in a few days?
A2. No. The software will be identical to that which have downloaded.

Should any future problems arise, then please create a new thread for each new problem. Should a crash be associated with a problem then please attach the log to the thread. After attaching the log to the thread, it may be deleted from the MFD's memory.
07-28-17, 11:48 AM
Understood. Thanks Chuck. Dan
07-28-17, 12:39 PM
You're welcome.
08-07-17, 12:14 PM
The recent s/w upgrade seems to be effective. No reboots or crash logs generated after about 16 hours of operation. Thanks Again.